The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

. As I say, I won't knock Kearney, he achieved what he needed to - survival, but it wasn't Stubbs' fault we ended up in the relegation play off's. At least not fully.

Aye your right, his fault was making us near dead certs for bottom spot

3 minutes ago, Munoz said:

It certainly wasn't Oran Kearneys fault we ended up in the playoffs. 

He was the manager for 7 months or so, what was it... September when Stubbs was got rid off?

Not blaming him for coming in when we were a mess, and as far as I am concerned he did the job that was asked of him which was keep the team in the division, but we did end up in the relegation slot when Hamilton and Dundee were not better than us.

That said, in his defence, post-split all the teams from 7th down stayed in their relative positions.

55 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

There was nothing live on the Beeb this round, was there? We might be one of the two Viaplay picks, given that one of the Old Firm have been knocked out, though.

No chance, they'll want to continue to follow the Kilmarnock fairytale.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

He was the manager for 7 months or so, what was it... September when Stubbs was got rid off?

Not blaming him for coming in when we were a mess, and as far as I am concerned he did the job that was asked of him which was keep the team in the division, but we did end up in the relegation slot when Hamilton and Dundee were not better than us.

That said, in his defence, post-split all the teams from 7th down stayed in their relative positions.

Hamilton went on a quite ridiculous run at the end of that season. We were a shitshow until February and Kearney signed very well that Jaunary window for what we needed.

Indeed, the signings of Hammill, Ferdinand and Jackson were the difference for us in those early games of Kearney's reign as before they came in we were in massive trouble.

8 hours ago, houston_bud said:

It looks like he's apologising and/or seeing if Strain is alright. He puts his hand out, then after the booking goes back and squats down beside Strain.

He knows it was a poor tackle. It's difficult to see just how bad it was from that angle. Can't see if it is high or studs showing. 

yes, Paul  was never a nasty player, but he is a damn good defender

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Indeed, the signings of Hammill, Ferdinand and Jackson were the difference for us in those early games of Kearney's reign as before they came in we were in massive trouble.

I think that's fair.

Stubbs was a charlatan, yet it made no sense that he would be, and he set the club back badly.

6 hours ago, AW saint said:

Is this a better period supporting the club than our 1st division wins. 

The players, support and management are so together. 

Our home form is outstanding. 

The squad is one of the best I have seen in ages. 

mmmmmmmmmmm shades of the Titanic, oh what a tranquil evening, what's that big white thing?

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Hamilton went on a quite ridiculous run at the end of that season. We were a shitshow until February and Kearney signed very well that Jaunary window for what we needed.

You've got to remember the card that Kearney was dealt. Everything that could have went wrong that season just about did... apart from going down.

Off the top of my head:

• Stubbs blew the budget and doesn't get his jotters until the week after the window closing.
  • Inherits Brian Rice as his assistant – who then gets the Hamilton manager's job, our relegation rivals.
  • Kearney/the club brings in Hammill, Ferdinand and Jackson – only for Hammill to get injured on his debut at Aberdeen.
  • Craig Samson decides he doesn't fancy a relegation battle and leaves for Sunderland outside the window. Leaving us with Danny Rogers and Dean Lyness until we can bring in the unknown Vaclav Hladky in January.
  • Greg Tansey, on papaer, is arguably our 'marquee' January signing. He plays four games before retiring. During this time he also gets a retrospective ban.
  • Eventually lands Brad Lyons after much speculation. He gets sent off on his debut at home to Alloa Athletic in the Scottish Cup.
  • Brain farts like Simeon Jackson's attempted Panenka penalty away to St Johnstone.

The fact that Kearney managed to keep us up is nothing short of remarkable. We got lucky that the majority of his January signings managed to contribute for the better. At the time, emptying the likes of Cammy Smith and Ian McShane, and even Hammill in January, felt like a massive risk but in hindsight clearing house was the only way to turn around a sinking ship.

We only lost three games after March and I personally don't doubt he would have done as well as Goodwin if he had a clean slate the following year.

Edited by bishoptonbuddie

20 minutes ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

You've got to remember the card that Kearney was dealt. Everything that could have went wrong that season just about did... apart from going down.

Off the top of my head:

• Stubbs blew the budget and doesn't get his jotters until the week after the window closing.
  • Inherits Brian Rice as his assistant – who then gets the Hamilton manager's job, our relegation rivals.
  • Kearney/the club brings in Hammill, Ferdinand and Jackson – only for Hammill to get injured on his debut at Aberdeen.
  • Craig Samson decides he doesn't fancy a relegation battle and leaves for Sunderland outside the window. Leaving us with Danny Rogers and Dean Lyness until we can bring in the unknown Vaclav Hladky in January.
  • Greg Tansey, on papaer, is arguably our 'marquee' January signing. He plays four games before retiring. During this time he also gets a retrospective ban.
  • Eventually lands Brad Lyons after much speculation. He gets sent off on his debut at home to Alloa Athletic in the Scottish Cup.
  • Brain farts like Simeon Jackson's attempted Panenka penalty away to St Johnstone.

The fact that Kearney managed to keep us up is nothing short of remarkable. We got lucky that the majority of his January signings managed to contribute for the better. At the time, emptying the likes of Cammy Smith and Ian McShane, and even Hammill in January, felt like a massive risk but in hindsight clearing house was the only way to turn around a sinking ship.

We only lost three games after March and I personally don't doubt he would have done as well as Goodwin if he had a clean slate the following year.

When you look back that was quite some season and set us up to be able to build on. If. It had failed we would likely still have been in the championship at best. 

I’ve spoken to Oran a couple of times since he left. Always good chat and reckons he could write an incredible book about his year at Saints.

Hopefully he gets round to that at some point!

50 minutes ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Off the top of my head:

You forgot Dougie Ross giving Killie a goal against us that didnt cross the line. Not that i've got a book or anything of all the shite things that wee p***k has done.

Just now, Drooper said:

Just checked in, only to read posts about Alan fucking Stubbs and Douglas fucking Ross!  As if Sundays evenings weren't enough of a downer....

Don’t worry mate. Just the Hibees to pump again and we’re back at Hampden. Happy days indeed 😁

1 hour ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

The fact that Kearney managed to keep us up is nothing short of remarkable. We got lucky that the majority of his January signings managed to contribute for the better. 

We'll never see another transfer window like that again. Ferdinand, Hladky, Muzek, Popescu, Dreyer, Nazon to name but a few. 

I don't know how all those guys from across Europe were identified. Am I right in saying that Gus was involved? Did he do the scouting work before the window opened?

Seem to remember Vaclav had basically just been a sub goalie in the Czech league for years and years. Diamond unearthed.

39 minutes ago, Div said:

I’ve spoken to Oran a couple of times since he left. Always good chat and reckons he could write an incredible book about his year at Saints.

Hopefully he gets round to that at some point!

Must have been some interesting going ons after inheriting the shit show that Stubbs left behind. 

The club must have also rolled the dice financially with the signings of Hammill, Ferdinand and Jackson particularly. Could have went spectacularly wrong. We fair staggered to safety and then the summer saga with Kearney. 

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Just checked in, only to read posts about Alan fucking Stubbs and Douglas fucking Ross!  As if Sundays evenings weren't enough of a downer....

Things could be worse. There could be another St Mirren v Dundee thread on the horizon. 😎

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

You forgot Dougie Ross giving Killie a goal against us that didnt cross the line. Not that i've got a book or anything of all the shite things that wee p***k has done.

That decision was one of the worst ever. It was impossible to tell from where he was positioned if it had crossed the line.  There was literally a sea of bodies blocking his view.  Dundee game, everybody can clearly see the ball has crossed the line. Even with VAR no goal. Sometimes  you can't make it up 

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

That decision was one of the worst ever. It was impossible to tell from where he was positioned if it had crossed the line.  There was literally a sea of bodies blocking his view.  Dundee game, everybody can clearly see the ball has crossed the line. Even with VAR no goal. Sometimes  you can't make it up 

i still do not know if ball crossed line v dundee or not