The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

47 minutes ago, GAD said:

The thing we need to replace with Strain leaving is his creativity. It obviously doesn't have to be from the same position (Rooney isn't a similar player to Strain) but we need someone, either midfield or in the front three to replace the chances Strain created.

Yeah. You only have to look at our struggles when he was out the side to underline your point.

That said, I have high hopes for McMenamin next season. He was also injured for a spell and looked really promising when he came back in the side. 

52 minutes ago, GAD said:

The thing we need to replace with Strain leaving is his creativity. It obviously doesn't have to be from the same position (Rooney isn't a similar player to Strain) but we need someone, either midfield or in the front three to replace the chances Strain created.

Couldn’t agree more. Rooney is a good player and good replacement, but Strain is excellent. We will need a good couple of players to replace his creativity. You get the impression, at times, McMenamin could be that player (not at right wing back) but just doesn’t happen for him, the pass to play Olusanya in was excellent on Saturday. 

On 13/05/2024 at 11:41, medals said:

Ok, more than I thought... in a way its all moot now anyway.

You guys have had an amazing season and ours was not too shabby either... I hope we both last long in europe too.

These twats should stay away from the game have no time for abusive fans towards their own players.  Brilliant news regarding Rooney he is the type of player we needed against Killie. 

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah. You only have to look at our struggles when he was out the side to underline your point.

That said, I have high hopes for McMenamin next season. He was also injured for a spell and looked really promising when he came back in the side. 

Was going to mention McMenamin. I think he'll be a huge player for us next season. He'll be used to the league, its demands and full time football, with a good pre seasons training behind him too barring no niggly injuries, hopefully he'll shine.

Strain is irreplacable but Rooney getting on the end of Tanser crosses should be lethal. He'll also batter a few left backs, should be entertaining.

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Was going to mention McMenamin. I think he'll be a huge player for us next season. He'll be used to the league, its demands and full time football, with a good pre seasons training behind him too barring no niggly injuries, hopefully he'll shine.

Strain is irreplacable but Rooney getting on the end of Tanser crosses should be lethal. He'll also batter a few left backs, should be entertaining.

No one is irreplaceable.   Sure he’s a good player and we will miss him but when he’s off plying his trade elsewhere , the Club will move on .

16 minutes ago, callum-g said:

No one is irreplaceable.   Sure he’s a good player and we will miss him but when he’s off plying his trade elsewhere , the Club will move on .

Ok irreplacable is a bit strong but we've seen the difference he makes when he has been playing compared to the spell when he was out injured.

Hoping Strain and Baccus go down South, I'd hate to see them line up against us next season.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Ok irreplacable is a bit strong but we've seen the difference he makes when he has been playing compared to the spell when he was out injured.

Hoping Strain and Baccus go down South, I'd hate to see them line up against us next season.

Agree , he does make a difference and also agree don’t want to see either up here against us .  

Stubbs?!

Presumably this Hibee has GSOH in his Tinder profile?

Pretty sure Stubbs wasn't averse to the odd "gun for hire". A few of which backfired spectacularly in his big glaikit coupon!

Screenshot_20240515_163750_BBC News.jpg

Posted (edited)

Would I be right in guessing that this season is your highest average crowd since you’ve moved to the new stadium?

What is the increase from last season?

Edited by Sortmeout

19 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Would I be right in guessing that this season is your highest average crowd since you’ve moved to the new stadium?

What is the increase from last season?

6472 this season Vs 6287 last season. Safe to assume that's the highest ever though CBA to confirm right now.

Normally tonight's game would inch that average up very slightly but will depend on what Hearts bring through; sounds like away end might be slightly reduced for understandable reasons.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I could see Strain lining up against us, but I think both will have suiters down south or abroad. 

I'd like to get Kwon back if Celtic were willing, I thought he was coming onto a game before the injury. 

Posted (edited)

Nothing is guaranteed in football, but you'd have to say that on paper Rooney is a good addition, especially so considering we were losing Strain.

What really stands out for me is that we are signing players before the season has even ended. My God, what a change around from a few seasons ago when we weren't sure which league we'd be in, then ended up scrambling to bring in loan players just hours before the League Cup started.

Edited by Ric

4 goals

Scott off the mark

Taylor slow for their 1st equaliser, but made a fab block later on.

Bolton great finish on a fab CBM cross.

Elvis not tight enough for their 2nd equaliser but in ye olden days a guy on the left post would have cleared it.

Decent game and a few late chances to snatch it.

Makings of  A top 5 team for sure.

Thought McMenamin was really good tonight, I was pretty critical of him at half time on Saturday but the 2nd half Saturday and all game today he has been really good. Season ending at wrong time for him. 

Good for Scott to get a goal and just put that to bed. Still doesn't look match fit but I was delighted for him.