The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, btb said:

The old MacPherson Conundrum - I've been thinking along the same lines myself - it's a tricky task assessing these three, they're all of them Bottom6 players and you wouldn't weep to see any of them leave individually but this has also to be balanced against continuity. Maybe the question is "can we do worse?". I'd be tempted to keep Obika and one of the wingers, on balance Connolly, but offering 1 year deals.

Of the other players being discussed I'd miss Flynn most as he's the last name on my 17/18 Championship Winner's mug still left at the club.

I wouldn't be upset to see any of them stay, I just think Jim might release them. If we were to keep one of them it would be Durmus for me. He's better at the wing back role Goodwin has had them playing in, can take a set piece and has way more end product than Connolly, in my opinion anyway.

26 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Connolly has the pace, rarely beats a mean and his decision making is poor. If you combined him together with McAllister you'd have some player.

Knowing our luck we'd get the combo with all the wrong attributes. :death

32 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Slow and injury-prone with no end product and a propensity for shiting it out of tackles? 

It'll be interesting to see how Drey Wright does for you, tbh.

It's mental if folk would be fine with us releasing Durmus, he's been one of our best players over the last few months despite constantly playing out of position and he's contributed far more than Connolly. He was slow to get going this season but I think he was one of the players hit hard with COVID.

I'd definitely keep Flynn and probably Obika for another season but would understand if they were let go. I've lost patience with McAllister and would be fine with Erwin leaving early too.

Edited by Gareth_Glasgow

8 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

It's mental if folk would be fine with us releasing Durmus, he's been one of our best players over the last few months despite constantly playing out of position and he's contributed far more than Connolly. He was slow to get going this season but I think he was one of the players hit hard with COVID.

I'd definitely keep Flynn and probably Obika for another season but would understand if they were let go. I've lost patience with McAllister and would be fine with Erwin leaving early too.

Maybe I missed it but were folk suggesting Durmus should go, I thought they were saying he could go?

Completely agree on McAllister, he has had numerous chances but just looks ineffective. 
Shame but if it’s injuries then he needs to start thinking about life outside football or if it’s the space between his ears. the he really needs to knuckle down and get over his Derby move not working out.........either way he is running out of chances.

Aside from Fraser, Durmus is the one I most want to see stay. Even more so than Obika or Flynn. 

Awful time of it in the first part of the season but that's the only time in two years he's been rubbish with us. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, Torfason said:

Completely agree on McAllister, he has had numerous chances but just looks ineffective. 
Shame but if it’s injuries then he needs to start thinking about life outside football or if it’s the space between his ears. the he really needs to knuckle down and get over his Derby move not working out.........either way he is running out of chances.

This is McAllister's first "injury free" season in his career. 

You would have thought that he would have progressed much more this season, but other than a few decent crosses he's been fairly ineffective. I keep hoping he'll develop into a player that becomes a first pick. However, he'll likely spend next season flattering to deceive and be loaned out at some point to a Scottish championship team.

Sadly he seems to have lost that burst of pace that he had in his earlier years that allowed him to get past players.

17 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Sadly he seems to have lost that burst of pace that he had in his earlier years that allowed him to get past players.

Yeah, his pace over ten yards is non-existent. He can't catch up with the tricks he pulls. He actually can get up to pace over a slightly longer distance, but that's mostly irrelevant in the spaces he's having to operate in.

(Edit: in my humble opinion I think he's carrying a little too much weight still. I think he could easily stand to lose 5-7kg. I'm sure the club will be on top of this. I still retain a lot of patience for him - I still think he could come good, but a number of factors are currently holding him back so he's in for a very important summer, IMO.)

Edited by Coventry Saint

32 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, his pace over ten yards is non-existent. He can't catch up with the tricks he pulls. He actually can get up to pace over a slightly longer distance, but that's mostly irrelevant in the spaces he's having to operate in.

(Edit: in my humble opinion I think he's carrying a little too much weight still. I think he could easily stand to lose 5-7kg. I'm sure the club will be on top of this. I still retain a lot of patience for him - I still think he could come good, but a number of factors are currently holding him back so he's in for a very important summer, IMO.)

Agree with the last point, he’s still carrying too much weight and that impacts on him. Jim has mentioned it a few times.

He’s still only 22, so still time to claw it back. He needs a Lawrence Shankland style epiphany to get himself back on track, as there is no doubting his ability.

The comments from Fraser are pretty non-committal. Wouldn't be surprised if he's still hedging his bets that someone else comes in for him but he's happy to stay if nothing turns up.

JDH is surely off given he was offered a new deal months ago. Would probably drop him and give someone else a run for the experience.

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

JDH is surely off given he was offered a new deal months ago. Would probably drop him and give someone else a run for the experience.

Nah, not for me. Keep him in unless he's being dropped on merit. I want to get to at least another semi final this year. Best players available all in their best positions from here on in, until such a time as all remaining games are meaningless. The top six failure was a dropped bollock but semi-final money/occasion would help to atone for that slightly.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

The comments from Fraser are pretty non-committal. Wouldn't be surprised if he's still hedging his bets that someone else comes in for him but he's happy to stay if nothing turns up.

Indeed.

JDH getting pelters because he's letting his agent get the best deal possible for him.

Fraser's agent will be doing exactly the same.