The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Again, a lot of questions need to be answered in the statement.

Why can't the main stand be cleaned down the day before to allow more fans in on matchdays? Even if it is for a few hundred extra folk? I'm sure there would be 3 or 4 volunteers who could spare an hour to do this socially distanced on the Friday and again on the Sunday. Even the task of doing this is overkill given that covid is an airborne disease and the chances of it contact spreading on an outdoor surface is proven to be essentially zero....if it was an issue, they'd be cleaning down bus and train seats every time a passenger gets on or off so that reason doesn't hold water at all (surface contact is really something that hasn't been brought into consideration for August 9th reopening and with good reason). Even being uber-cautious though, that would surely satisfy all H&S and Public Health requirements regardless of how stringent they are.

Why is there a row being left empty but this is something that's evidently not being done at other grounds where there is 40% or 50% capacity allowed this weekend? Regardless of seat layout, pulling in 50% capacity with every second row freed up is not possible unless every other row has full seating and there's no way do grounds like fir Park have >1m between rows.

What are the long-standing infrastructure issues within the stadium and why are these only being dealt with, with <1 week until the first game? If they were long standing and know about, wouldn't someone at the club not have the foresight to go 'f**k, this might be a problem when the fans are back'.

2,800 season tickets have been sold. Well down on last year at this point and honestly? Who can fucking blame anyone who doesn't want to buy one at this point? You can argue that we are victims of circumstance and we are in some of the issues but on the surface of it, we've done pitifully little to actually fix issues we've seen well in advance or be proactive.

Really quite pissed off at how little the people running the club are actually doing here to resolve this and a mewling 'we're trying out best, honest' statement with no actual plan other than 'leave it in the lap of the government until 9th August' most definitely doesn't cut it.

Dundee or only using every second row, according to their fans.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Dundee or only using every second row, according to their fans.

Fir Park, with 6,500 allowed in a 13,600 stadium simply cannot do this though? Unless a bit of actual foresight has gone into Motherwell's planning and they've grouped supporters up.

For one thing, explain what the long standing infrastructure problems are, how long they’ve been known about, and why Tony is only currently looking into getting them fixed. If they are long standing issues, why haven’t they been addressed already. The big lockdown started in March 2020. It’s a baw’ hair away from August 2021 with the first home league game of the season approaching, but Tony is looking at issues? Aye.

Personally, I appreciate club statements, but I don’t appreciate utter nonsense. Neither of my ageing legs have bells on them.

Edited by pozbaird

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Fir Park, with 6,500 allowed in a 13,600 stadium simply cannot do this though? Unless a bit of actual foresight has gone into Motherwell's planning and they've grouped supporters up.

FWIW: we were asking for ST holders to notify the club as to whether they planned to attend for precisely the reason that the club were needing this information to plan.

"Due to ongoing social distancing requirements and to help us plan, we are asking all season ticket holders to let us know as soon as possible if they can make the match.

Please fill out our Hibernian season ticket attendance confirmation form now to help us plan. It is essential you let us know if you can make it, so that we can allocate you/your party seats."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

FWIW: we were asking for ST holders to notify the club as to whether they planned to attend for precisely the reason that the club were planning.

Who'd have fucking thought it eh? A bit of advanced planning and organisation could see groups of people in no bother. 🤦‍♂️

25 minutes ago, FTOF said:

There's no way we're keeping him is there? Hopefully we can squeeze silly money out of them as part of a bidding war.

£15m for McBurnie means we should be rinsing this mob for as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

£15m for McBurnie means we should be rinsing this mob for as much as possible.

Exactly. McBurnie is vastly over rated. McGrath will be away for sure. Just need to get a decent fee for him. I am sure Goodwin has players lined up for when Jamie leaves

Our former Chairman is sceptical...from FB

Stewart Gilmour

Cannot quite fathom out what is going wrong here, with due respect to our new Chairman, there is something not quite right.

Are we saying the Main Stand is totally ‘ contaminated’ so nobody can be in there, so that removes say 2500 seats.

That means we only have just over a 1000 in the other 5500, something not ticking all the boxes !!

This is not criticism of anyone, just struggling to make this all add up.

So, are we as a club defending a government organisation who are crucifying us again, in the same way we had to build barriers on the slope up towards the North Bank in the old ground, when we had walked up there for years unaided !!

Only asking ( for a friend) !!

Reading all the posts on here and on B&W Army it's quite clear that it all boils down to whatever view you have regarding the perceived threat of Covid.

I'm really not bothered by all of this, as I have far more important matters to worry about.

I can see reasons both for and against the way the club has dealt with matters, but I'm not wetting my knickers about it and getting overly melodramatic about it, as life is far too short to get that bothered about football.

Edited by FTOF

Without knowing if I'll get into next week's game, I'm not really bothered about the current situation.  It's been 18 months now without seeing League football In the flesh, another couple of weeks isn't going to make much difference. 

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Again, a lot of questions need to be answered in the statement.

Why can't the main stand be cleaned down the day before to allow more fans in on matchdays? Even if it is for a few hundred extra folk? I'm sure there would be 3 or 4 volunteers who could spare an hour to do this socially distanced on the Friday and again on the Sunday. Even the task of doing this is overkill given that covid is an airborne disease and the chances of it contact spreading on an outdoor surface is proven to be essentially zero....if it was an issue, they'd be cleaning down bus and train seats every time a passenger gets on or off so that reason doesn't hold water at all (surface contact is really something that hasn't been brought into consideration for August 9th reopening and with good reason). Even being uber-cautious though, that would surely satisfy all H&S and Public Health requirements regardless of how stringent they are.

Why is there a row being left empty but this is something that's evidently not being done at other grounds where there is 40% or 50% capacity allowed this weekend? Regardless of seat layout, pulling in 50% capacity with every second row freed up is not possible unless every other row has full seating and there's no way do grounds like fir Park have >1m between rows.

What are the long-standing infrastructure issues within the stadium and why are these only being dealt with, with <1 week until the first game? If they were long standing and know about, wouldn't someone at the club not have the foresight to go 'f**k, this might be a problem when the fans are back'.

2,800 season tickets have been sold. Well down on last year at this point and honestly? Who can fucking blame anyone who doesn't want to buy one at this point? You can argue that we are victims of circumstance and we are in some of the issues but on the surface of it, we've done pitifully little to actually fix issues we've seen well in advance or be proactive.

Really quite pissed off at how little the people running the club are actually doing here to resolve this and a mewling 'we're trying out best, honest' statement with no actual plan other than 'leave it in the lap of the government until 9th August' most definitely doesn't cut it.

I remember the club saying they were doing everything to prepare for fans returning. They have had 16 months of working out the permutations. The messaging, the buying of tickets, the ballots have been really poorly handled. 

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

There's no way we're keeping him is there? Hopefully we can squeeze silly money out of them as part of a bidding war.

Or it’s his new agents putting shite about to show him just how wonderful they are.

Considering Ross County and Dumbarton lost complete squads to Covid in recent weeks I can understand why the club are being very careful. We want to push on this season and a Covid outbreak would put the scuppers on that. Of course I want to be in the stadium and struggle with the reasoning of the limitations but the bottom line is I do not want Covid to screw things up for us. I am a patient guy - got to be being a Buddie - so will wait a few more weeks when hopefully we are better placed to have all our fans back in the stadium.

10 hours ago, FTOF said:

Reading all the posts on here and on B&W Army it's quite clear that it all boils down to whatever view you have regarding the perceived threat of Covid.

I'm really not bothered by all of this, as I have far more important matters to worry about.

I can see reasons both for and against the way the club has dealt with matters, but I'm not wetting my knickers about it and getting overly melodramatic about it, as life is far too short to get that bothered about football.

Same. Maybe have to whisper this, but watching a Saturday 3pm game from the comfort of your own home has turned out to be quite an enjoyable novelty. I can cope with ppv one more time if not successful in the ballot.

Has Jim has set a new rule - you can only score with your head? A million crosses into the box and only two shots from us in the whole game.

Last week I gave reservations about the new formation and these were highlighted again today. Two strikers, two wide men, two advanced midfielders in support leaving a huge gap in front of the back 3 with Power having to cover everywhere. McGrath had to come deep a lot in the first half to get the ball and Erhahon tried to drop deep to help Power. Ethan may be gifted with a great left foot but he is slow to cover, can only tackle with his left foot, and ball watches leaving runners in space. Think the formation/personnel needs tweeked.

Disappointed to drop 2 points against a team that is manifestly Championship standard and no better.  Thought McGrath played really well and has hopefully added another few hundred onto his price tag.  Tanser very unlucky not to score with that header.
Don’t think Jay is quite ready yet and I was surprised he wasn’t subbed earlier.  

I’m not sold on Dunne as part of this back 3 as yet, if he’s in to get a natural left sided defender then I think that should be sacrificed for McCarthy as a far better centre half. He was lazy in getting back against Partick and we were lucky not to concede.

Today, first goal he should’ve launched the ball instead of kick starting the chain of corners Dundee eventually scored from. We had plenty chances to defend them after but shouldn’t have been in the position. Then f**k knows where we was for the second leaving Cummings on his own in the box.

Tanser’s deliveries are tremendous from the left. Neither Tait or Henderson can give us that on the right unfortunately

Has Jim has set a new rule - you can only score with your head?

Of the eight goals we’ve scored this season, one has been headed. If he has set such a rule then our players ain’t listening [emoji28]
Decent performance today and probably should have won on the basis of chances created. A point away from home in this league is never a bad result in my opinion.
Still, would like to see a proper angle of their equaliser as I’m fairly confident it was offside.

37 minutes ago, Lex said:

Of the eight goals we’ve scored this season, one has been headed. If he has set such a rule then our players ain’t listening emoji28.png

They were listening today. We had plenty of chances to shoot in the second half. However it was cross after cross after cross. Wide players (all of them who ended up wide) just crossed to the far post instead of blasting it or laying it off.  Even Jamie waltzed into the box and I thought great he'll have a go and he dinked it to the far post instead.