The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

They were listening today. We had plenty of chances to shoot in the second half. However it was cross after cross after cross. Wide players (all of them who ended up wide) just crossed to the far post instead of blasting it or laying it off.  Even Jamie waltzed into the box and I thought great he'll have a go and he dinked it to the far post instead.

Well we did score two with our feet today, to be fair….

Felt Brophy and Main linked up well but just wish Main could take his chances. Henderson is not quite ready to start each week. We are still lacking pace in attacking areas. I believe a couple extra quality players would see us turn draws like today into wins. Still feel sorry for McCarthy he is too good to be benched

Agree with AW that whilst Henderson is an exciting prospect, he’s not ready to be first choice RWB, Tait or Fraser should be there, if Fraser then McCarthy comes into centre half. 

only caught bits of the first half and most of the second but Main and Brophy have the making of a good partnership. 

Henderson is an attacking RWB and Fraser and Tait are obviously more defensive.
I think Tait was pretty poor when he came on actually, he got in a few dangerous attacking positions but he kept crossing it like a defender. Which he is.
Henderson won us the penalty (for the second weekend in a row) and I thought he did well overall, although the was caught out a bit high up for their second goal.
We certainly need another right sided player who is somewhere in between Tait and Henderson. Does Tanser have a right footed twin?

Henderson is an attacking RWB and Fraser and Tait are obviously more defensive.
I think Tait was pretty poor when he came on actually, he got in a few dangerous attacking positions but he kept crossing it like a defender. Which he is.
Henderson won us the penalty (for the second weekend in a row) and I thought he did well overall, although the was caught out a bit high up for their second goal.
We certainly need another right sided player who is somewhere in between Tait and Henderson. Does Tanser have a right footed twin?
The problem is Henderson's final ball isn't great, yet. Not having a go as he is very young and has done well to win 2 penalties in the last 2 games. We need better deliveries from the right.

Tanser is showing up everyone else in that department though.

I agree with whoever said bring on McAllister instead of Tait, the game was set up perfect for him to come on and make a difference.

17 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The problem is Henderson's final ball isn't great, yet. Not having a go as he is very young and has done well to win 2 penalties in the last 2 games. We need better deliveries from the right.

Tanser is showing up everyone else in that department though.

I agree with whoever said bring on McAllister instead of Tait, the game was set up perfect for him to come on and make a difference.

Unfortunately, McAllister wasn't on the bench though. 

15 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

I’m not sold on Dunne as part of this back 3 as yet, if he’s in to get a natural left sided defender then I think that should be sacrificed for McCarthy as a far better centre half. He was lazy in getting back against Partick and we were lucky not to concede.

Henderson at wing back was more of a problem for us than Dunne imo. I know he is young and will hopefully improve but his defensive positioning isn’t good enough and although he gets in to good positions, his final ball let’s him down time and time again. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Henderson at wing back was more of a problem for us that Dunne imo. I know he is young and will hopefully improve but his defensive positioning isn’t good enough and although he gets in to good positions, his final ball let’s him down time and time again. 

He'll get better, but he's an option from the bench at best.

Hopefully the wide attacking player that JG is trying to sign can address that problem area.

I prefer Tait tbh, as I think he's more attacking and is a threat in the box, but I'd be happy enough with either next weekend.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

Fraser is best option at RWB with the current squad and gets McCarthy, our best defender, back in the team.

17 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

I’m not sold on Dunne as part of this back 3 as yet, if he’s in to get a natural left sided defender then I think that should be sacrificed for McCarthy as a far better centre half. He was lazy in getting back against Partick and we were lucky not to concede.

Today, first goal he should’ve launched the ball instead of kick starting the chain of corners Dundee eventually scored from. We had plenty chances to defend them after but shouldn’t have been in the position. Then f**k knows where we was for the second leaving Cummings on his own in the box.

Tanser’s deliveries are tremendous from the left. Neither Tait or Henderson can give us that on the right unfortunately

Dunn is quick and physically strong but he’s technically limited  which you’ve probably already worked out. Whether playing on the left of a back three or as a centre half he’s always made mistakes and always will. 

Edited by Yorky

In the our problem area on the pitch, the partnership between Main and Brophy looks really promising. Was at the Thistle game and they didn't link up often as I recall, but yesterday was good. Liked the way Brophy acknowledged Main in the celebrations too. Hopefully they can both stay fit.

57 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

In the our problem area on the pitch, the partnership between Main and Brophy looks really promising. Was at the Thistle game and they didn't link up often as I recall, but yesterday was good. Liked the way Brophy acknowledged Main in the celebrations too. Hopefully they can both stay fit.

Yep, Brophy nearly laid Main on for the effort that was well saved in the first half too. Definitely looks like there's a partnership brewing there. Just need Main to improve his coversion rate slightly.