The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, virginton said:

Not sure what that has to do with the term 'trajectory'; I presume like most Saint Mirren fans that you failed Standard Grade English. 

At least that set of gibbered non-sequiturs expertly masks your badly ruffled emotional state right now.  

^^^ Still not rattled. The evidence is there for us all to see. He's perfectly calm. This is going well. 

QKZtNeu.gif

4 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Are Dundee a bigger team? Probably, but only just. Certainly 40 or 50 years ago, but now? Much of a muchness. Got a bit of time for the Dundee fans, when we won the league in 2001 at Love Street, they stood to applaud us. So fair play with that.

Will Ross go to Dundee? No, and I will give you 3 main reasons...

1) Infrastructure.
Dundee may have 'wealthy' backers but the stadium is dilapidated and facilities are only in the pipeline rather than built - unlike St Mirren. Essentially taking over as a coach (coach mind, not manager) it's clear going from St Mirren to Dundee is a backwards step. We saw with Love Street how expensive it can be to build a decent (in relation) stadium. Dens could be sold, money could be raised, grants could be sought, but ultimately you are talking a rough £10m plus all the upheaval of building (or moving to) the new stadium and the knock on effect that has on the team transfer budget. No doubts, St Mirren completely lucked out with Tesco, but I can't see that happening with Dens.

2) League position.
McCann barely papered over the cracks at Dundee. He did what he needed to do (keep them up) but it's obvious that squad needs a serious shake down. You would expect money to be available to any manager, although that is discussed in (1). All the time at Dundee he would need to worry about the relegation battle. Obviously there is no way I can state for a fact St Mirren won't end up in the same position as it was last season, but I think even the most myopic of observers will be hard pushed to give a cogent argument to support that view. So in that sense the pressure will be pushing for the top rather than avoiding a death spiral at the bottom. All in all, the margin of error is considerably greater at St Mirren. At Dundee Ross would get maybe 5-6 games honeymoon period and the pressure would be on - not always a negative thing, btw - but it's definitely a gamble and the way the squads, finances and facilities are just now it's not necessarily good odds on that gamble.

3) Don't finish a job half way through.
This is all intangible, but imo, I believe that Ross feels he has only just turned the ship around rather than set it's course. Why would you put so much effort into something only to decide to walk away? Obviously the lure of the bait is what's key here. McInnes goes to Sunderland, would Ross jump at the chance at Aberdeen? Of course he would, but that really is a big step up. As postulated before, there really isn't that level of step up to Dundee. Bringing players in, working with them, and almost redefining the team from the bottom up - and not just that but to succeed at the task in hand (avoiding relegation) - it would seem like months of "wasted" work (relatively, the objective was set and matched) especially to return to square one with Dundee. There is no specific metric to this other than general logic - so it's the 'weakest' argument of all, but most would probably agree that Ross would always harbour thoughts of "what if" should he walk away now. From everything he says, and he does seem to be pretty straight forward when it comes to speaking to the press and media, it certainly leans towards him wanting to test what he has learned over the last 6 months and make a real tilt at the title.

In short? Ross won't go, Dundee are a marginally bigger team - although not by much, facilities and stadium wise it's a step down to move there and finally the job needing done at Dundee is effectively the job he has started on 6 months ago with St Mirren, so once more a step back.

Are there positive arguments for him to go to Dundee? Of course there are, you'd be stupid to suggest otherwise, but while the grass might be greener on the other side (or at least richer) it is by no means any more sweet.

All in all, if he does actually go, he's certainly lasted longer than Iain Munro.

It's more likely that if he was offered the job and knocked it back that he would think "what if" if he finished 5th in the Championship.

Apart from that, you're thinking far too much into it. "He won't go because the stadium is a step down". FFS.

The seethe is strong in our buckfast loving friends. All set to celebrate us plummeting to depths only known by themselves, when lo and behold we pull off a miraculous recovery,which included handing out an absolute tanking in their own dump. That's got to hurt badly.

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

It's more likely that if he was offered the job and knocked it back that he would think "what if" if he finished 5th in the Championship.

Apart from that, you're thinking far too much into it. "He won't go because the stadium is a step down". FFS.

He's also completely body swerved the fact that Ross is a Dundee fan for some reason.  Its not exactly a balanced view.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Just now, ford prefect said:

The seethe is strong in our buckfast loving friends. All set to celebrate us plummeting to depths only known by themselves, when lo and behold we pull off a miraculous recovery,which included handing out an absolute tanking in their own dump. That's got to hurt badly.

The only thing hurting right now is my head trying to make sense of your 'face smashed against the keyboard' posts. A totally unravelled mental state over the last 24 hours. 

1495895702405.jpg.c72df94c9fe7fb449a0c523391c853a5.jpg

Virgin ton is one tedious little troll.:rolleyes:

You'd have thought he'd have learned from last season when his predictions about our demise showed him up for being the gibbering halfwit he is.
Still....more laughs for us.

In other news, Hearts fans claiming we're signing Gavin Reilly this week, which fits murmurs coming from the club about a confirmed new signing this week.

Not sure how I feel about that: he hardly set the division alight last season.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ verge of tears

Pointing out the fact that your club is not on an 'upward trajectory' is not 'trolling' chump. Your delusional fantasy claims simply don't actually stand up to scrutiny on a multi-club forum. Gutted for you.

I'm not gutted about anything posted on a fans forum. I'm pointing out that your a Greenock tramp a virgin and a shite troll. 

Now off you f**k and go get yourself a ride.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

I'm not gutted about anything posted on a fans forum. I'm pointing out that your a Greenock tramp a virgin and a shite troll. 

Now off you f**k and go get yourself a ride.

^^^ sobbing uncontrollably 

A lot of shite being spoken here. The simple facts are:

1. If St Mirren agree to allow Jack Ross to speak to Dundee, and Dundee decide he is the man for the job, then he will be Dundee manager.

2. St Mirren don't allow us to speak to him and he remains manager at St Mirren...for now.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

1. If St Mirren agree to allow Jack Ross to speak to Dundee, and Dundee decide he is the man for the job, then he will be Dundee manager.

2. St Mirren don't allow us to speak to him and he remains manager at St Mirren...for now.

It's all got a little bit out of control given how little is actually known yet. Dundee are a bigger club than us and in a better position right now. Any buyout amount will be nominal, because these things always are.

I get the impression Gordon Scott could be a fucker to deal with, mind, so there is a chance he'll tell you to piss off. Having said that, we are very firmly after Loy so it wouldn't surprise me if that played a part. It's not a fair swap, but I'd rather come out of this with a new striker than with f'kall.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

They'll be speaking to his agent just now anyway. He'll let them know whether its worth pursuing or not.

I can't see Dundee letting a player go before a new manager comes in. Especially one who is a big fan of the player. I would fully expect Loy to be going nowhere if Ross gets the Dundee job.

Edited by Shadwell Dog