The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Div forcing Tam McManus into a charity bet that Jack Ross won't become our manager. emoji38.png

Minter. I know Div tends to be in the know but he's had a fucking breakdown.

Div fucking loves a charity bet, mind. Missed having to wear a Ten shirt by the skin of his teeth. You'd think he'd learn.

50 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Are you fucking serious ? Hartley is failure.

If Dundee had got their act together and not fannied about with McCann, we could've got Steve Aitken who was at the end of his contract but has just signed a new 2 year deal with Dumbarton.

Hartley is IMO the best available right now.

Sad to see JR go but I've seen about 20 Saints managers now and hope to see a good few more before I shuffle off this mortal coil...................

Edit - I'd also be happy to see JF get bumped up if he doesn't go to Dundee.

Edited by btb

7 minutes ago, btb said:

If Dundee had got their act together and not fannied about with McCann, we could've got Steve Aitken who was at the end of his contract but has just signed a new 2 year deal with Dumbarton.

Sad to see JR go but I've seen about 20 Saints managers now and hope to see a good few more before I shuffle off this mortal coil...................

I don't think Aitken is the man for us anyway. He's done a great job for Dumbarton, but I don't think he'd fit as well with Saints. I think Hartley will be our first port of call.

10 minutes ago, btb said:

I can see your point bud, but for me Hartley is not an option I would like to see GLS go for in the event of Jack leaving.

There will be far better options than him available.

10 minutes ago, btb said:

But Jack is not going so what are you going on about. 

Hartley would be the obvious choice of the out of work managers; safe to assume Yogi has gone from being in a position to turn you down to being in a position where his application will be filed alongside Kyle Hutton's contract?

7 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

But Jack is not going so what are you going on about. 

He probably will. He nearly got relegated last season. To come out of that with your stock so high is pretty impressive. He might not get another chance to take the step up. I don't think it's an opportunity he can really turn down looking at it from the outside. If he doesn't go, there will be a good reason for it.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Hartley would be the obvious choice of the out of work managers; safe to assume Yogi has gone from being in a position to turn you down to being in a position where his application will be filed alongside Kyle Hutton's contract?

Yeah, I think the damage Yogi did to his reputation last season is terminal. Can't see any club taking a punt on him now, though to be fair to Yogi, he always seems to do reasonably well coming into a team where things were going well and he just needs to keep to keep it going.

Just now, GAD said:

He probably will. He nearly got relegated last season. To come out of that with your stock so high is pretty impressive. He might not get another chance to take the step up. I don't think it's an opportunity he can really turn down looking at it from the outside. If he doesn't go, there will be a good reason for it.

He's just signed a load of players on the back of him still being the man at the helm. It would leave us in a bit of mess if he does go.

Can't see a manager from a mid table Championship team moving to a mid table Premiership team really. It's not as if a Second tier team chasing the actual title would lose their manager (and backroom team) to a bigger Premiership club?

Spoiler

FE0A9BB0-5279-4AA6-A813-DC8D8B492371-409-00000064D31ABCE9.jpeg.4f966c0388b1c302c05e73182c315d52.jpeg

Spoiler

529781C6-DA4A-4A18-9010-570172BB42A8-409-00000064E67AC6F6.jpeg.97a29b708c8a6fe5b14cd718886d7bf8.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Told them to bolt because compensation couldn't be agreed? That sounds like the board were happy for him to go.

Not really. It's possible Dundee were told to do one before they even got round to mentioning money. They might only have got as far as introducing themselves before being told to f**k off. Or we might have asked for an amount they weren't prepared to pay at the moment and they'll come back. Who knows?

Ultimately I think a lot of folk are trying to convince themselves more than other fans that he'll stay. If he was a player it would be an easy decision and from a footballing point of view it looks fairly simple. Dundee are in a higher league and seem reasonably stable. They have a decent fanbase unlike some other Premiership clubs. With good management they could be in the top six next season - I think Hartley managed it the year we got relegated so it's not total lunacy to suggest that. I don't think factors such as turnover, who owns the stadium etc will come into it, especially if it's the club he supports. Any Championship manager outside MacKinnon and maybe Houston would be daft not to consider the Dundee job if the chance came up.

A large part will decide how happy he is at Saints. He has a good relationship with the fans, the board and the squad. Can he be bothered changing clubs yet again and having to start all over from scratch once more? Maybe he'd be quite happy sticking at the club for a few years and building something, trying to get us promoted and working with the younger players. He could see it as unfinished business as there's plenty of potential in the club. We seem to be willing to give him some of the money from player sales - how much of the cash from Hemmings and Stewart did Hartley get to spend on the squad?

Time will tell. Wouldn't surprise me what happens.

12 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He's just signed a load of players on the back of him still being the man at the helm. It would leave us in a bit of mess if he does go.

Yeah, none of that is a reason for Jack Ross not to sign for Dundee. It's a promotion, he may not fancy it for personal reasons, but from a football point of view, it looks a good move.

I'd be amazed if he turned Dundee down. If we're being honest with ourselves can we really see him saying no to his boyhood club who are currently an established Premiership side? For all of the 'feel good' factor at the end of the season, any hopes of promotion are still a long way off and you could potentially see his currently high reputation lessen slightly if next season turns out to be a slightly 'meh' finish of 5th or 6th.

The only slither of hope I'm currently clinging on to is that he might be holding off for a bigger move in the future and potentially sees staying at St. Mirren as an easier way of achieving that.

Also said yesterday when the rumours first started that the first mention of Dundee being a step up or not from St. Mirren would result in a can of worms being opened...

22 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, none of that is a reason for Jack Ross not to sign for Dundee. It's a promotion, he may not fancy it for personal reasons, but from a football point of view, it looks a good move.

Aye, agree with that. His managerial resume is still fairly short so if he doesn't build on St Mirren's improved form next season, it's unlikely he'll be getting another shot at an SPL club anytime soon. Would be very surprised if he doesn't take it, presuming he gets the chance to.