The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

43 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Given we finished third last season with Gogic largely in the team there's an argument to be made that he was a good player for us.

He was giving away cheap fouls early in this season and costing us goals.  Add the desire to play a better passing game and he was dropped seemingly never to be seen again.

No huge regret in seeing him leave but I reckon if he knows he's wanted he'll do exactly what you expect of him, harass heavily through the middle of the park and play easy balls to more technically accomplished teammates. 

Don't really know what McGrath offers in truth, heard a fairly broad array of descriptions which doesn't leave me any the wiser. Generally speaking though players we've signed from yourselves have gone on to perform well enough so hoping for good things.

A troubled night’s sleep for your regular penalty taker.

I'd have expected to get a little more but looks like all the interest from down south wasn't what it had been made out to be. Considering last week a lot folk were happy to see McGrath move on and us to stick with Kiltie then it seems like a reasonable deal for all parties. 

That £150k (assuming it's accurate) could hopefully see us bring a couple of last minute signings that Goodwin had earmarked. 

I always liked Gogic when he was at Hamilton, although haven’t seen a lot of him at Hibs.

If we are intending to go 4-2-3-1 moving forward then I like the sound of Power and Gogic in a holding midfield 2, with Kiltie, Ronan and Henderson ahead of them.

If we can somehow (I doubt it) wangle Scott Allan into the deal then that would be smashing.

Think is is a good move for both clubs. JG clearly rates Gogic as we tried to get him from Accies, and Hibs is a far better move for McGrath than League one in England where he would just get lost in that absolute slog of a league. 

if we lose McGrath and sign Gogic plus another winger and have some cash left over then I think we will have done well, especially with the emergence of Greg Kiltie as a proper number 10 

McGrath’s dad/agent/whoever is pretty shite at their job. In any case, it will be good to have it sorted once and for all. I don’t think he’d be as big a miss as we thought he would if he went on the last day in summer. He’s a very good player but he’s outgrown Saints a long time, or so he believes given what has happened this month. If we can get a couple decent players in as replacement then we’d be in good position come the end of the window. 

I won’t lose a minute’s sleep if we sell McGrath to Hibs. Not because I don’t like or rate him, but as I’ve said before, why let any of this worry or annoy you? Post-Bosman, in this modern age, there’s frankly fcuk-all we can do about it anyway. Personally, I pretty much gave up worrying about players leaving when Fergie joined Oldco after we won the 1987 Scottish Cup. Players come, players go. We move on, and can worry about other things. Like shitfest AGMs on Zoom and the Kibble.

20 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Shit deal. We don't need Gogic but we do need McGrath. 1 league placing gives us £150k.

We probably need someone like Gogic as Flynn looked finished and Erhahon (as much as I like him) blows hot and cold. 

McGrath has been off it for months. If he doesn't get a move this window I can't see his form dramatically returning.