The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 31/12/2017 at 18:34, Bobby_F said:

With the talk of Morgan going, and speculation about McGinn too, got me thinking...

Was there ever a time where Kenny McLean, Kyle McAllister, Kyle Magennis, John McGinn and Lewis Morgan were all at the club?

If so, who was the manager, and what was our regular midfield at that time?

I realise that the Kyles would have been very young when McLean was there, but given how rubbish we were for the last few years maybe we should have given them a chance earlier?

Had a wee look. On January 10, 2015 we managed to have McGinn, McLean, Morgan and Mallan all on the park at the same time (Morgan was a sub). Magennis would have been 16 and, according to the OS, has been with the club since he was 5! McAllister would have been a week or so shy of his 16th birthday, not sure when he joined from Rangers.

Amusing that McLean, McAllister and Morgan all started off at Rangers, got binned and are going to end up generating a fair whack of cash between them (although you could then make the case we'd be better just picking up kids the Old Firm reject rather than running Ralston). He won't go for cash but Jack Baird also started off at Rangers and can't have been worse than some of the jokers they've played at centre-half in recent years.

And winding things back further, we'd probably have had the potential for a midfield of McLean, McGinn, Mallan and future £10million player Aaron Mooy at one point!

31 minutes ago, Young gun said:

Now an Arab is saying we have financial problems.

Irony is not a thing in Dundee :rolleyes:

I don't think they get the concept of living within your means and being able to spend transfer fees that you take in on the playing squad, rather than paying off a massive debt.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Had a wee look. On January 10, 2015 we managed to have McGinn, McLean, Morgan and Mallan all on the park at the same time (Morgan was a sub). Magennis would have been 16 and, according to the OS, has been with the club since he was 5! McAllister would have been a week or so shy of his 16th birthday, not sure when he joined from Rangers.

Amusing that McLean, McAllister and Morgan all started off at Rangers, got binned and are going to end up generating a fair whack of cash between them (although you could then make the case we'd be better just picking up kids the Old Firm reject rather than running Ralston). He won't go for cash but Jack Baird also started off at Rangers and can't have been worse than some of the jokers they've played at centre-half in recent years.

And winding things back further, we'd probably have had the potential for a midfield of McLean, McGinn, Mallan and future £10million player Aaron Mooy at one point!

Pfffft Jack Baird. Pesky non-M-surname-initial imposter. 

Was it you lot that had Mahrez on trial aswell?

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Sure Gav was with The Rangers youths for a few years before he came to our youth set up at 16. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
12 hours ago, Stu said:

Was it you lot that had Mahrez on trial aswell?

Indeed it was. Apparently 9 goals in 4 bounce matches wasn't enough to convince Gus he was worth a deal.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Indeed it was. Apparently 9 goals in 4 bounce matches wasn't enough to convince Gus he was worth a deal.

I'd be keen to see someone who wasn't Riyaid Mahrez back up that 9 in 4 stat. Very little goes unreported in this day and age and I really don't recall anything like that.

Not saying it didn't happen, just... the only source for all of that story is the man himself.

ETA: you can well imagine a young, cocky Mahrez really not being a Gus McPherson type of player, though :lol:

Edited by Coventry Saint

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd be keen to see someone who wasn't Riyaid Mahrez back up that 9 in 4 stat. Very little goes unreported in this day and age and I really don't recall anything like that.

Not saying it didn't happen, just... the only source for all of that story is the man himself.

ETA: you can well imagine a young, cocky Mahrez really not being a Gus McPherson type of player, though :lol:

Give it another few years and he'll have scored 12 in two. It's surprising that at the time it didn't leak onto one of the forums that there was some kid scoring for fun in bounce games - or that no one else in Scotland got wind of it and tried to sign the boy that had just scored a hat-trick against him.

He was definitely on trial. When the story first emerged one of the papers got one of our former youth players (not that I remember him) to talk about him. I think David Longwell may have too.

If Gus was in charge the latest it can have been was 2010 and Mahrez would only have been 18/19 so it's possible he was only on trial for the under-20s, although it also wouldn't surprise me if Gus turned him down because he was too attacking.

14 hours ago, Stu said:

Rangers and Celtic pretty much sign up and release thousands of kids. In my opinion it's part of what's wrong with our game.  12, 13,14, 15 and 16 year olds have their hopes dashed and don't have the resilience to pick themselves up and keep going. All credit to McLean, Morgan, McAllister and Baird for doing just that.  And Credit to Longwell for taken them to a level they'd never have achieved with Sevco.

Paper talk this morning saying the Morgan deal could be getting confirmed today; repeating the rumoured details that have been circulating for a while now.

Also mentions the Mark Hill rumour. Yesterday showed we need midfield cover for when players get tired.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Paper talk this morning saying the Morgan deal could be getting confirmed today; repeating the rumoured details that have been circulating for a while now.

Also mentions the Mark Hill rumour. Yesterday showed we need midfield cover for when players get tired.

Can't really comment on Mark Hill no idea what he'll bring if anything.  We certainly need to bolster the squad no impact really from the bench at the moment .  If he's not going to play Sutton we need a similar type player up front midfield and striker options are what's needed

I still think LB cover if Smith is to be recalled, and a decent wide midfielder to allow Magennis to play in the centre, are the two additions I'd be making.

Hill seems like cover for McGinn/McShane, and that makes sense, but I'd still like to see Magennis being given a run there.

All in all, it's a long way from Jack's last winter transfer market.

Edited by Buddist Monk

Glad to hear that about smith - think he’s a really good player and links up well. Maybe time for Baird to have a wee rest on Saturday? He’s improved immensely over the past year but felt he was off the pace a bit yesterday. Mckenzie and Davis at CH for me on Saturday. Any news on eckersley? We don’t look as solid without him.

Thought Baird was ok yesterday but that defending for the goal is unforgivable. He has been really good in the last few months but I still don't trust him!

Would much rather have McKenzie in there but I'm really not sure his heart is in it - he's a weird one! I noticed at Palmerston he went down injured (as he does in every game) and both Samson and mcginn immediately ran to him to pull him up

26 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Glad to hear that about smith - think he’s a really good player and links up well. Maybe time for Baird to have a wee rest on Saturday? He’s improved immensely over the past year but felt he was off the pace a bit yesterday. Mckenzie and Davis at CH for me on Saturday. Any news on eckersley? We don’t look as solid without him.

I would agree with you on Baird he needs a rest, Gary Mac beside Harry Davis gives us a bit of solidity and a goal threat from set plays.