The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Aye, if you had ordered it in August you'd maybe have a chance 🙈. You can pay through the nose for an express one though, pretty sure you can get one within a week, and pay even more for one on the same day.

I've still got a few years left on my EU passport 😍

Can totally see us finishing 5th and fucking Falkirk winning the Scottish cup though 🤢.

My missus applied for a new passport on 2nd March and she received it on 15th March 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

Getting into the European places became infinitely harder because of the defeat at the weekend but this team has taken points off every single opponent in the division this season and there is no real reason to think we cannot get a few more this time around.

We're up against five opponents who were all seeded to be in this half, we are the ones bucking the trend and significantly exceeding our financial weight.

It's absolutely glorious to have the cigars out at this point in the season instead of feeling permanently sick with worry and sweating over every permutation of results and speculating over whether or not we can avoid the drop.

Drink it in, enjoy every minute of these last five games. Que Sera, Sera!

12 minutes ago, Div said:

Getting into the European places became infinitely harder because of the defeat at the weekend but this team has taken points off every single opponent in the division this season and there is no real reason to think we cannot get a few more this time around.

We're up against five opponents who were all seeded to be in this half, we are the ones bucking the trend and significantly exceeding our financial weight.

It's absolutely glorious to have the cigars out at this point in the season instead of feeling permanently sick with worry and sweating over every permutation of results and speculating over whether or not we can avoid the drop.

Drink it in, enjoy every minute of these last five games. Que Sera, Sera!

I still feel sick to be honest, more so than Saturday. I've always dreamt of seeing us play a European tie and have never been lucky enough to do so.

This isn't something that comes around every season and lets be honest, even if we do consolidate and establish ourselves long term as a top flight club, there's no guarantee we'll be in a position like this again in the next 5 years (though I hope we are through good planning) so it does really feel like a watershed moment.

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I still feel sick to be honest, more so than Saturday. I've always dreamt of seeing us play a European tie and have never been lucky enough to do so.

This isn't something that comes around every season and lets be honest, even if we do consolidate and establish ourselves long term as a top flight club, there's no guarantee we'll be in a position like this again in the next 5 years (though I hope we are through good planning) so it does really feel like a watershed moment.

There are so many scenarios with scores that can take place from now till the end of the season.  Fortunately we are still within touching distance of the 2-3 teams above us. Look at the clusterfuck run Hearts went on, when they were already months ago declared as 'best of the rest' by the media. Aberdeen could very well still drop points and Hibs and Hearts' current form fills me with hope that we stay amongst the pack and run it till the end.

KTF

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I was there - The high of a Brian Gallagher hat-trick away from home against a team we no longer mention and the hope in the return leg right up until the 89th minute... nights to enjoy the good and accept the bad too. Mechelen too - they went far that year.

Realistically, Scottish teams other than the ugly duo don't do that well these days. We would need a much better squad and greater winning mindset/consistency.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Look at Partick Thistle, they finished top 6, relegated the following season then found themselves in league one 2 seasons after that.

Nothing is guaranteed after the summer. As you say, enjoy it while it lasts. 

Who knows, with a bit of a rebuild required in the summer, we may get even better. 

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

5 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Been lucky enough to follow Saints to St Eitienne France,  Mechelen Belgium and Feyeenord Netherlands never failed to have anything but an amazing time . If we get into Europe you really want to try and go for a trip you will never forget. 

You’ll be going nowhere if this is true?

20 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

You’ll be going nowhere if this is true?

Seems strange. On what grounds would it be refused?

Assuming this is true, and I'm not convinced, I bet an appeal would see it overturned if we finished in a European spot.

10 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Assuming this is true, and I'm not convinced, I bet an appeal would see it overturned if we finished in a European spot.

I think we were the only other team to be refused. The criteria seems to be a bit nonsense at times, and they don't release hard guidelines publicly about how to qualify. 

We were told a few years ago that we couldn't qualify as we didn't have a youth academy, we spent a bunch of money re-establishing our youth academy and we still don't qualify. I imagine it'd be easily overturned based on an appeal

We've already been through this in 2021. This was after we became only the third club to obtain a gold licence.

The club is also pleased to confirm that it has been granted a UEFA Licence Award. This follows a decision made by the Appellate Tribunal. The support of the Scottish FA licensing board, partner agencies and the hard work of our staff group have brought this to fruition.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Accounts not lodged in time? Or you have outstanding tax liabilities.

It would be strange for it to be any of the other criteria since as noted St Mirren have been granted a licence in the past.

Even if it is an accounts or tax issue it could be just a minimal delay that meant you ddin't meet the SFA's initial deadline.

Main leaving would be a bit of a surprise, and dare I say it a stupid move from him. Robinson quite obviously manages to get the best out of him, and we all seen the sort of performances Main was putting in last season; there wouldn’t have been a single St. Mirren fan disappointed to see him go based on those performances. He’s had a good year but he’s not irreplaceable, and although his work rate has been a factor in our success this season, he still lacks a bit of quality when it comes to actually putting the ball in the net. Would be sad to see him go but it wouldn’t be the end of the world imo. 

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Main leaving would be a bit of a surprise, and dare I say it a stupid move from him. 

If he gets a big deal elsewhere on the back of this year he'd be a fool not to take it at his age. 

He's great for us, but not irreplaceable.