The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Qualify your bland statements in future so no one is in any doubt.

I mean, i thought it would be fairly obvious i wasnt claiming MacPherson was our best ever paid for signing, but *shrugs* guess i forgot how some folks logic works on here

2 hours ago, medals said:

So are we going to pay a development fee for him? Am I wrong, he doesn't seem prolific and ready to nail down a starting place each week yet?

I think Fulham signed him on a 4 or 5 year deal in 2020.

4 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Also linked with Fulham striker Kieron Bowie in that article. Ex-Raith Rovers, has been on loan at Northampton this season. Turns 21 in September.

5 goals in 30 odd games. Would rather develop Offord

I really wish folk would stop using goal statistics as the sole yard stick for strikers.

Jonah Ayunga only scored 8 goals in 2 years - 66 games - before joining us and he has been excellent.

Curtis Main scored 8 goals in 52 matches prior to signing also. Also been outstasnding for us.

Offord, as good a prospect as he is, has 15 career goals, 12 of which were for East Stirling in the Lowland Laeague and another 3 for Alloa in League One.

As much as I would agree Offord's development in crucuial, to say that we should stick with him ahead of trying to even attempt to sign Bowie just makes absolutely no sense.

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I really wish folk would stop using goal statistics as the sole yard stick for strikers.

Jonah Ayunga only scored 8 goals in 2 years - 66 games - before joining us and he has been excellent.

Curtis Main scored 8 goals in 52 matches prior to signing also. Also been outstasnding for us.

Offord, as good a prospect as he is, has 15 career goals, 12 of which were for East Stirling in the Lowland Laeague and another 3 for Alloa in League One.

As much as I would agree Offord's development in crucuial, to say that we should stick with him ahead of trying to even attempt to sign Bowie just makes absolutely no sense.

I'd much rather we were bringing in players on full time permanent deals with and using the loan market to either supplement the squad or to bring in a player who would be otherwise unobtainable and too good to pass up.

And it remains to be seen if Bowie is either of those things or if we could get someone of similar or better ability as our own player.

Of course, if Fulham don't see a future for him at their level and the move is a permanent one with a sell on for Fulham that's different.

8 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Your correct that goal stats is not the entire picture of a striker. My pitch is that we could use a striker who does score more goals, more often. We already have others that contribute, but could use more.

20 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Strikers are judged on goals. Do you think Man City would have signed Haaland if he only scored 5 goals in 30 games. Yes players can hit form and score more for different clubs but we need a goal scorer. 

The SFA released an updated list of awards yesterday, with St Mirren comfortably granted the award after scoring gold in all four categories judged: ground, first team, youth and legal/admin/financial.

St Mirren chairman John Needham explained to Renfrewshire Live Sport: "We got our licence approved yesterday, which allows us to compete in European football should the need arise next season.

"It's a very complicated, time-consuming and costly application process. We decided not to compete the process last season because we finished in the bottom six.

"We are now fully licensed and hopefully now we can push on and finish the season strongly after the split."

St Mirren know a fifth-place finish in the Premiership this season could bring them their first taste of European football since 1987.

If Celtic or Rangers win the Scottish Cup, Scotland's fifth European spot - which sees teams enter at the second round of the Europa Conference League – goes to the team finishing fifth.

The Saints are currently joint-fifth with Hibs in the table on 44 points, with Hearts just four points further ahead in fourth.

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

5 goals in 30 odd games. Would rather develop Offord

Develop him how ? If he hasn't developed into a goal scorer beyond basically non league level it suggests he's not going to be a goal scorer. I would suggest the level Bowie is playing at will be light years above the Lowland league. He has been through our youth system then on loan at a level 5 rungs below the standard he needs to be. I'm not sure what else we can do to aid his development outwith another loan at a rung or two up the ladder. I might be wrong but I suspect Bowie will be closer to the standard required although I'm far from convinced either would be more than bit part players.

10 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Fuad Sule is 5 foot 4 1/2 apparently. Fraser Taylor, what is he?

There's a topic.... the shortest St Mirren players of modern times?

Jose Quitongo,s probably the smallest player I can mind playing for Saints . ( Just went on Wikipedia,  it says he,s five foot eight ) . Think I,ll have to agree that Fraser Taylor is the smallest player iv seen in a Saints shirt . Though we did have a player Jimmy Boag who was quite wee .

Edited by MenstrieSaint
Correction

John Scullion who used to do keepy uppy and other tricks at half time, was quite wee. He that ended up at the soapdogers.

Depending where you look, he's 5 foot 4 or 5 foot 3.

Edited by FTOF

18 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Jose Quitongo,s probably the smallest player I can mind playing for Saints . ( Just went on Wikipedia,  it says he,s five foot eight ) . Think I,ll have to agree that Fraser Taylor is the smallest player iv seen in a Saints shirt . Though we did have a player Jimmy Boag who was quite wee .

Garry McGrotty was pretty small too. And the lad we had in Lennon’s first season - McCluskey?

22 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I would love Fraser Taylor to get his chance in the first team squad regardless of his physical stature. The boy has shown a great degree of skill in the few opportunities he's been given and he really could be a player.

FFS Messi isn't built like a 'standard' footballer. 

Alan Wardrop seeking election to the SMISA board with the aim of removing the Kibble directors from the club board:

Each St. Mirren director has a clear fiduciary duty under the Companies Act 2006 to declare any potential conflict of interest and act with openness and transparency and in the best interests of the company ie St. Mirren Football Club Limited.

Kibble club board representatives, Jim Gillespie and Mark Macmillan, failed to disclose to the St Mirren board, shareholders and fans Kibble supported plans to build on St Mirren owned land. Together with Renfrewshire Council they applied to the Scottish Government for a £2.65 million grant under the name The St. Mirren Wellbeing and Regeneration Masterplan. It was not disclosed to other SMISA club board directors and no prior agreement was secured.

In addition, the application named St. Mirren FC Charitable Foundation as a partner when the charity had no knowledge of it and had not granted permission to submit it on their behalf. It only came to light when the Government announced that the application had progressed to a stage 2 application. Both Kibble employees did not declare their plans to build on St. Mirren owned land to St Mirren SMISA board members but denied any conflict of interest.

Having discovered the issue under Freedom of Information, I raised it at the club’s AGM. I, like many others, no longer have trust and confidence in Kibble’s directors serving on the board of St. Mirren FC and I put my SMISA board application forward on the basis I wish to remove them.

Does anyone know anything about this "St. Mirren Wellbeing and Regeneration Masterplan" then? It doesn't exactly jump out as something which would have a negative effect on the football club. I guess that it may not even happen anyway.....

Just another stick to beat Jim Gillespie and Kibble with or something more serious? At the SMISA meeting in February, John Needham said JG and MMac apologised afterwards and lessons had been learned.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

3 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Tom Brown was about 5ft6 I'm sure. Alex Burns couldn't have been much taller either.

Just now, Dirty Sanchez said:

Nigel Hasselbaink for the short arse crew.

Sule looks even quicker, and stronger, than him, FWIW.