The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I would love Fraser Taylor to get his chance in the first team squad regardless of his physical stature. The boy has shown a great degree of skill in the few opportunities he's been given and he really could be a player.

FFS Messi isn't built like a 'standard' footballer. 

Would just like to see him go out on loan and get regular first team football.  I think he,s got something and hope he eventually breaks through .

25 minutes ago, AW saint said:

His style of play is similar to N'golo Kante allegedly

Possibly for that level, aye.

Twitchy CM who needs to press folk, win the ball and great and getting past people as hes so quick. Given time can pick a pass both short and long, but not through defences. His pace really is crazy, can be on top of folk before they've even properly received the ball, but gives away fouls a lot that way.

Hes pretty easy to actually get past though, if you can survive his initial press. He gets caught wrong side a lot as he just barrages in, and his passing under pressure is just hoofing or sclaffing as he looks so twitchy (I think thats just his "style" rather than him actually being flustered) and cant set himself. Doesn't look like he can shoot well at all.

I can see why hes rated so highly over there, but can also see why hes still over there. Would depend entirely on how you use him I think but he'd be a downgrade on Gogic, O'Hara, and Baccus quite comfortably in your starting line up. 

14 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It’s funny to see a fan of another club rubbish a player who has yet to play in this country. It is possible for players to progress when they move clubs and play at a better level.

To be fair, RandomGuy doesn't really rubbish anyone. He just reads and interprets the stats and style of play.

Same as when he said a few weeks back that the lad Bedeau we're linked with appears by the raw stats to be an upgrade on Dunne.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Shows how little I know about football over the water. The lad Sule, I was like 'what fucking level do Larne play?' Not realising they are champions of Northern Ireland .

Never even heard of them!

The footy adventures guy did a you tube video on them. In the past four years they have gone from part time to qualifying for Europe.  

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Possibly for that level, aye.

Twitchy CM who needs to press folk, win the ball and great and getting past people as hes so quick. Given time can pick a pass both short and long, but not through defences. His pace really is crazy, can be on top of folk before they've even properly received the ball, but gives away fouls a lot that way.

Hes pretty easy to actually get past though, if you can survive his initial press. He gets caught wrong side a lot as he just barrages in, and his passing under pressure is just hoofing or sclaffing as he looks so twitchy (I think thats just his "style" rather than him actually being flustered) and cant set himself. Doesn't look like he can shoot well at all.

I can see why hes rated so highly over there, but can also see why hes still over there. Would depend entirely on how you use him I think but he'd be a downgrade on Gogic, O'Hara, and Baccus quite comfortably in your starting line up. 

So  Allan Power basically 

17 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

So  Allan Power basically 

Defensively probably, but a lot more mobile. 

Like i wasnt joking, i think he genuinely is quicker than Hasselbaink on and off the ball. Half the time folk get past him he can recover because hes so quick. 

Think the issue here would be players would move the ball on before he could recover, quality over there is low so players usually hold onto the ball for ages and can be caught. Something he'd need to adapt too for me

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Defensively probably, but a lot more mobile. 

Like i wasnt joking, i think he genuinely is quicker than Hasselbaink on and off the ball. Half the time folk get past him he can recover because hes so quick. 

Think the issue here would be players would move the ball on before he could recover, quality over there is low so players usually hold onto the ball for ages and can be caught. Something he'd need to adapt too for me

Feels to me like prepping for being without Dunne and/or Baccus. Both different, but we'll miss Dunne's recovery pace and we'll miss Baccus's sheer busy-ness in the middle. Fits the mental image of a Robinson team giving opposition absolutely zero time to settle on the ball, but also not mattering too much if we can't keep it ourselves.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Feels to me like prepping for being without Dunne and/or Baccus. Both different, but we'll miss Dunne's recovery pace and we'll miss Baccus's sheer busy-ness in the middle. Fits the mental image of a Robinson team giving opposition absolutely zero time to settle on the ball, but also not mattering too much if we can't keep it ourselves.

If Baccus goes then we should bank a decent amount in a transfer fee which would be a great opportunity for us to strengthen the squad. 
Strain for me has offered so much more to the squad this season than Baccus. 
Both players currently under contract until June 2024. I do not see either of them extending with Saints unfortunately.
If the club was open to offers on either of them this summer would be the most profitable. 

Whoever was responsible for scouting those two I hope we still have at the club or we still use if external. 

I watched the clip of Sule on YouTube and lots of his game remind me of Baccus.  Very energetic and lots of short passes to keep the ball moving . Looks like he would  be very effective sitting in the middle of a midfield in two defensive banks of four , waiting to pounce on a slack pass to create a breakaway . I suspect he is being targeted as   a replacement for Baccus.  

If we had to lose one of the Aussie lads then I hope its not strain. He has been a standout this season. We need to get him on a longer deal. 

I still hope we keep them both though. Baccus is a good player who will only get better. 

Alan Wardrop not missing the Kibble reps on the club board with his election statement here (https://www.smisa.net/election)

Why Members should vote for me

Each St. Mirren director has a clear fiduciary duty under the Companies Act 2006 to declare any potential conflict of interest and act with openness and transparency and in the best interests of the company ie St. Mirren Football Club Limited.

Kibble club board representatives, Jim Gillespie and Mark Macmillan, failed to disclose to the St Mirren board, shareholders and fans Kibble supported plans to build on St Mirren owned land.

Together with Renfrewshire Council they applied to the Scottish Government for a £2.65 million grant under the name The St. Mirren Wellbeing and Regeneration Masterplan. It was not disclosed to other SMISA club board directors and no prior agreement was secured.

In addition, the application named St. Mirren FC Charitable Foundation as a partner when the charity had no knowledge of it and had not granted permission to submit it on their behalf. It only came to light when the Government announced that the application had progressed to a stage 2 application.

Both Kibble employees did not declare their plans to build on St. Mirren owned land to St Mirren SMISA board members but denied any conflict of interest.

Having discovered the issue under Freedom of Information, I raised it at the club’s AGM. I, like many others, no longer have trust and confidence in Kibble’s directors serving on the board of St. Mirren FC and I put my SMISA board application forward on the basis I wish to remove them.

As a born and bred Buddy, from the high flats at Stock Street, Paisley, I have supported St. Mirren since a child in the mid 70’s when Sir Alex Ferguson’s, Fergie’s Furies got me hooked. I simply want to serve in the club’s and fans’ best interests and protect and build a successful future for our wonderful club

The basic facts appear to be true: an application in this name has been made to the Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.

If it actually was done on the sly, as suggested, is harder to work out. It just seems so unlikely to me that that would have happened. 

Screenshot_20230502-122624.png

Perhaps he should’ve done more due diligence as part of the club board who introduced Kibble to the club. Can’t see why he should be added to the SMiSA board. He has no unique selling point, there are already more than enough on there who’s sole objective is to get rid of Kibble. He’ll likely get on anyway.

This whole fiasco is beyond tiresome now. Kibble’s name is mud now and they are the easy target for everything. They were voted in by a majority, work with them. If he feels that strongly he should stump up to buy Kibble out, after all he’s a millionaire going by that blurb, instead of turning the SMiSA membership against them in the hope we do it.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

The basic facts appear to be true: an application in this name has been made to the Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.

If it actually was done on the sly, as suggested, is harder to work out. It just seems so unlikely to me that that would have happened. 

Screenshot_20230502-122624.png

You would think someone outwith kibble on the board would know what was going on ? Suppose this will all come out at some point.