The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

But what do you really think Spud?

Ive had him on ignore for about 5 years, nice to see hes still absolutely raging about everything i post.

Top leader and signing for Dundee. If anyone thinks Taylor is better then that’s crazy talk. Looks decent on the ball but his positional play will need a huge amount of work. Gallagher is a good player but looked slower than Joe to be fair. I think when you consider the goals he contributed for us too Dundee have got a good player. Love that folk think 31 is old. Are we honestly expecting to sign better than him? Personally I’d have given him a two year deal kept his leadership and organising abilities at the club. Sorry to see him go to a rival 

39 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Players come and go. Joe was solid but prone to the odd clanger. I trust Robbo to bring in an improvement. 

Absolutely.

I predict a lot of humble pie in the future, when the nostalgia wears off and the replacement we sign proves to be a significant upgrade.:whistle

Gallagher was outstanding for us before his injuries and was an upgrade on Shaughnessy.

Also, comparing Taylor to Shaughnessy is not a like for like comparison given that one is left sided and the other isn't.

I'm sure someone will be able to remind us of other occasions where similar levels of unfounded knickerwetting occurred when we released a player, who in the end, was actually not irreplaceable.

Edited by FTOF

52 minutes ago, Ric said:

Shaughnessy is a great signing for Dundee.

I imagine he'll take the armband, and aside from still being a very good player you feel he'll bring a level of organisation which could be the 'make or break' for any recently promoted side.

Wee bit of speculation about that on our forum as well.

The fact is, regardless of ability, from the small band of players we have signed, we've got a lot of leaders which Docherty said was his priority in order to create a 'culture' (a favourite bit of manager speak right there) that will develop our youths.

Currently of the few players we have signed up (by my count it's currently 8 for next season) we have Lee Ashcroft who was captain at Dunfermline, Legzdins who's just a natural leader, Cammy Kerr who's previously been our captain & now Shaughnessy who's been captain with you guys and St Johnstone (and @RandomGuy. your bitterness about him - whether he turns out to be shite for us or not - is clear) and finally, we have Ryan Sweeney still expected to sign on who is our current captain.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wee bit of speculation about that on our forum as well.

The fact is, regardless of ability, from the small band of players we have signed, we've got a lot of leaders which Docherty said was his priority in order to create a 'culture' (a favourite bit of manager speak right there) that will develop our youths.

Currently of the few players we have signed up (by my count it's currently 8 for next season) we have Lee Ashcroft who was captain at Dunfermline, Legzdins who's just a natural leader, Cammy Kerr who's previously been our captain & now Shaughnessy who's been captain with you guys and St Johnstone (and @RandomGuy. your bitterness about him - whether he turns out to be shite for us or not - is clear) and finally, we have Ryan Sweeney still expected to sign on who is our current captain.

This the model that Robinson currently favours.

It's worked for us so far.

Edited by FTOF

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

@RandomGuy. your bitterness about him - whether he turns out to be shite for us or not - is clear

What?

I said on our thread a few days ago id be happy to have him back, before actually checking how he'd done over the past few seasons and seeing a clear decline in his performances which rarely reverses in 30+yo CBs.

I always liked him tbh.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

What?

I said on our thread a few days ago id be happy to have him back, before actually checking how he'd done over the past few seasons and seeing a clear decline in his performances which rarely reverses in 30+yo CBs.

I always liked him tbh.

You've went out of your way to write off a '30+' CH because his stats didn't show the greatest of returns in a season where the manager didn't favour him and in turn he was a bit of a bit part player at times and in and out of the team. It's hardly a fair analysis especially when the St Mirren fans are rebutting the stats by saying he's a good CH, they didn't understand how he didn't get a game more but and it's fair enough, they're not exactly gutted he's gone either.

It's not football manager here where we can only sign players 21 and under and from Brazil. He's a no nonsense CH, signing for a newly promoted team that will have many backs against the wall games next season. He's an upgrade on what we have and is a very astute signing - on paper - regardless of what your computer model suggests currently. It's also a bit silly to be writing off a player in the top flight whose game has never been about being quick just because he's 'almost 31'.

Whether he flops with us or not, it's got to be considered a good signing at this point in time for a team expected to be scrapping for survival.

21 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You've went out of your way to write off a '30+' CH because his stats didn't show the greatest of returns in a season where the manager didn't favour him and in turn he was a bit of a bit part player at times and in and out of the team.

I emphasised 30+yo because players start to lose their pace/agility at that point, especially when not getting regular game time.

Shaughnessy was, and is, poor at the physical stuff as a CB and relied on being quicker to turn and reading the game well, he can win headers but only if he gets a run up (and hes fantastic in the air when he has that, which generally happens when attacking set plays) as hes both flat footed when jumping from a stop, and weak when hes running into a ST whos standing their ground.. Hes not a CB whos ever going to dominate a striker, so I've no idea why you're calling him "no nonsense" tbh, he needs to play beside someone like that (although tbf everyone has different definitions for roles, for me "no nonsense" is a Frazer Wright style clogger who lives by a "cant get the ball, get the legs" mantra, hates having the ball at his feet, and cant run).

It looks, to me, like hes gotten even more flat footed to the point he can barely turn quick enough to do anything when folk run at him at pace these days. Hes also getting worse in the air. This is why I think hes virtually done as a top flight CB.

In a side that protects him, with a strong CB beside him, he could probably still be a regular, but I think his role at St Mirren (back up in a strong squad) is about his limit these days.

Again, I'm not bitter at all about Shaughnessy. I liked him when he was with us. Based on stats, and video I watched since a Saints fan commented about him being an option a few days ago, I just think hes either over the cliff or close to going over it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Shaughnessy is a decent squad player to have but he wasn’t even first choice back up for us either

Once he lost his place when Robinson decided to move Gallagher to the middle and use Fraser on the right, even when Gallagher was out, Gogic tended to replace him. Even after Erhahon left, Gogic was still being used to cover Gallagher. It was only the run in at the end of the season that Shaughnessy got a run due to the number of injuries we had.

With Boyd-Munce now signed for midfield and another midfield target being talked about, we will have 4 central defenders for the 3 spots. And Richard Taylor has already replaced Dunne. 

As @RandomGuy. has been pointing out, you don’t want to stand still and if we are to bring in a new central defender, you are hoping for an upgrade on the current guys in order to get better. 

Giving Shaughnessy another year as 3rd pick central defender would have definitely been standing still or going backward. 

Dundee’s ambition will simply be to try and stay in the league. Shaughnessy may help with that. Ours is stay in the top 6!

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If Kerr was your captain last year, and considering you were promoted, you'd imagine he'd have thought the armband was his. The thing that goes in Shaughnessy's favour is purely that he's been playing at this level for the last 3 years, and done well in the role too. I'm a little bit bias, as he has been such a good servant to my club.

I very much doubt he'll "turn out to be shit for you", and in fact the only thing that is likely to scupper his season is injury, which is the same issue any player in the latter stages of their career (even then, he's only 30, not particularly injury prone. It's not like we are talking about you lot signing Andy Considine here)

27 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's not like we are talking about you lot signing Andy Considine here

Considine a great example of this.

Stopped playing regularly due to injury at Aberdeen. Playing for us now and is done physically despite looking fine for Aberdeen beforehand. Cant turn quick, slow to run, reactions too slow.

You get an initial boost as these players generally have enough experience to get their positioning to cover it, but over a season theyll be costing you points and by the end will need put out the side. Considine cost us in about 4 games in the final few months alone, and thats with getting away with a blatant handball that couldve lost us a vital game away to Kilmarnock. 

Fortunately our dud manager didnt tie us to him for 2 years on a first team wage, which would leave us stuck with a player not up to it and hinder us financially trying to get an improvement, so we can get rid of him this Summer and bring in someone better <_<

Just now, Biscuits said:

Far too cultured for the p & b masses 

First time I’ve been linked with the word ‘cultured’ in any way, shape, or form, so for that, I thank you.

Gie’s a signing, etc.

Wee bit off topic but maybe of interest to local buddies. Took the daughter to The Boatyard Locwinnoch yesterday for brunch. It's got the wow factor you can see a lot of money has been spent on it to good affect. The outside seating area is very impressive also with its water fountains it's all very impressive the food was not to bad ether. Well worth a visit buds I will defently be back.