The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

That's what I love about pre season all the speculation. 

His goals return looks worse than Jamieson

It does , but he played every game for Shrewsbury last season so he must be decent ,  and he's a bruiser , like Main. 

5 hours ago, billyg said:

It does , but he played every game for Shrewsbury last season so he must be decent ,  and he's a bruiser , like Main. 

Shrews fans were largely disappointed to lose Main to us, weren't they? Would be interesting to gather comparisons if Street goes ahead.

56 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Shrews fans were largely disappointed to lose Main to us, weren't they? Would be interesting to gather comparisons if Street goes ahead.

If got a mate at work who's a Shrewsbury fan and all round fountain of knowledge when it comes to obscure lower league players from England. I will ask him today!

I had a sneaking suspicion that Wrexham would be sniffing about Main. Found it strange that Robinson mentioned a League 2 clubs who can offer multiples of what we can as there was no danger most of L2 offer more money than SPFL aside from maybe one or two teams.

The Bowie thing is a bit of a pisser but at least we know he's not going to head to another club up here and make us feel like we've missed out.

The move fell through as Fulham have been told that shifting him to Scotland for a season would disqualify him from ever being registered as homegrown for future Premiership squads (as he can be classed as English if he's trained there at least 3 years from 17-21), so have to keep him loaned out south of the border.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I had a sneaking suspicion that Wrexham would be sniffing about Main. Found it strange that Robinson mentioned a League 2 clubs who can offer multiples of what we can as there was no danger most of L2 offer more money than SPFL aside from maybe one or two teams.

You're usually pretty accurate with your nomenclature. The SPFL covers all of the top 4 leagues in Scottish football. 

14 hours ago, AW saint said:

That's what I love about pre season all the speculation. 

His goals return looks worse than Jamieson

He would be out of our league if his stats were showing up 25-30 goals per season. Was rated a high prospect at Palace and was doing great for their u23 team.

I've trusted the signings so far from Robinson. Imo Olunsanya looks to be the only one that hasn't quite worked out 'yet'.

2 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

He would be out of our league if his stats were showing up 25-30 goals per season. Was rated a high prospect at Palace and was doing great for their u23 team.

I've trusted the signings so far from Robinson. Imo Olunsanya looks to be the only one that hasn't quite worked out 'yet'.

I get you and what you are saying. However we simply have to get our striking options right. 

We don't score enough. Another player like Grieve etc won't do. 

We need to bring in a player who can bag at least 15 a season. 

17 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Every team in the lower half of the league wants a player that can do that. They either fall outside our budget, or you come across a player who has a great season like Regan Charles Cook or Kevin Van Veen - and then they are usually offski the next year. 

Miovski, Duk, Shankland and Van Veen are only players outside the Old Firm getting more than 15 goals this year in the league. 

If Robinson can find a striker that is capable of a return of 10 or more league goals a season, that is pretty decent for where we are.  

49 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I get you and what you are saying. However we simply have to get our striking options right. 

We don't score enough. Another player like Grieve etc won't do. 

Every team in the league needs someone like that but unfortunately clubs like St Mirren can’t afford anyone who guarantees 15 goals a season.

3 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Well, the Shrewsbury fan I spoke to today said he was pretty good. Says he didn't score many, but nobody does for them, but he runs the channels and holds the ball up well and works very hard.

Mind you the Shrewsbury fans were gutted they didn't get Matt Millar when we did so that has to be taken into account...