The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

28 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

£500k or above would be enough to get him I reckon.

If he hadn't made the World Cup squad and wasn't getting consistently picked since then, I'd have said that was a fair price, though the fact he is a full international for a team that made the last 16 of WC, I'd say we need to be looking at slightly more, say 750k + add-ons. 

41 minutes ago, Ric said:

Slight side step in the topic, how much do we think St Mirren are worth?

The reason I ask is that in the papers today there is talk of a St Johnstone buy out, and that the value is in the region of £10m. I seem to remember when Gilmour left, we were valued at a couple of million, the joke at the time was that the OF could buy a player for their bench that was the equivalent price to buying our club. Obviously that was some time back but I don't think inflation has increased our value by that much.

It's never a like for like comparison of course, we have things St Johnstone don't and vice versa, and this isn't really asking about their valuation, but more I wonder what people think it would take to purchase St Mirren - not that it would happen any time soon, and not that I'm advocating that either.

I think with our situation on our takeover, changing from the hands of fans who owned the club (Gilmour & co) to SMISA, also fans, it made the value much smaller as the owners at the time just wanted their money back that they had invested and into the right hands of supporters. 
A lot has changed since then and I think our value is much more, though how much I am unsure. On comparisons with St Johnstone, you would think we would be similar considering the similarities in club size and assets.

22 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I think with our situation on our takeover, changing from the hands of fans who owned the club (Gilmour & co) to SMISA, also fans, it made the value much smaller as the owners at the time just wanted their money back that they had invested and into the right hands of supporters. 
A lot has changed since then and I think our value is much more, though how much I am unsure. On comparisons with St Johnstone, you would think we would be similar considering the similarities in club size and assets.

Dubious figure £10 million for the Fakes. Once again seller aiming way higher than reality to get as much as he can.

But a top 6 club with a new stadium and far better players, good training ground etc. That's a more reasonable value.

1 hour ago, medals said:

Once again seller aiming way higher than reality to get as much as he can.

I certainly don't blame them for trying to get the most they can, we'd do the same, although... 10 mil?

8 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Arborath, Montrose, Forfar and Cowdenbeath in the League Cup then.

That is a very decent draw, for context here are the other groups..

1TGV907.png

(direct link: https://i.imgur.com/1TGV907.png)

Two of the 4 teams we got last season...meh.

Since Arbroath were 2nd seeds we'll almost certainly play them at home however a Saturday away to Arbroath would be a cracking day out.

Forfar have only ever beaten Saints twice, both in the League Cup and they scored 5 on each occasion.

It's almost 30 years since Saints last played Montrose.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Two of the 4 teams we got last season...meh.

Since Arbroath were 2nd seeds we'll almost certainly play them at home however a Saturday away to Arbroath would be a cracking day out.

Forfar have only ever beaten Saints twice, both in the League Cup and they scored 5 on each occasion.

It's almost 30 years since Saints last played Montrose.

I had completely wiped the Arbroath defeat and the nappy filling it caused to our supporters, so thanks! :lol: 

4 hours ago, medals said:

Dubious figure £10 million for the Fakes. Once again seller aiming way higher than reality to get as much as he can.

But a top 6 club with a new stadium and far better players, good training ground etc. That's a more reasonable value.

Could be down to the value of the land their stadium is on. Ironically, once planning permission for a supermarket was granted on Love Street and Tesco wanted it, the value of the club at that point would have many multiples greater than it is now.

The land our ground is built on is worthless and the company has no history of paying dividends. I’d say St Mirrren is worth £zero.

Likewise, other than the land, I’d imagine that St Johnstone is worth £zero

6 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

The land our ground is built on is worthless and the company has no history of paying dividends. I’d say St Mirrren is worth £zero.

Likewise, other than the land, I’d imagine that St Johnstone is worth £zero

That land is NOT worthless. St. Mirren also own land near the stadium too - that will also have a value.

YOUR NOT INTO REAL ESTATE THEN I SUSPECT 

According to former Sky Sports journalist Pete O’Rourke, Ali Koiki has turned down the offer of a new contract at Sixfields and is wanted by several clubs, including Scottish Premier League duo Aberdeen and St Mirren.

Regular hamstring injuries, sound familiar

3 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Arborath, Montrose, Forfar and Cowdenbeath in the League Cup then.

Good draw on paper. Although as these games are essentially pre season they're difficult to predict and not a gimme.

I've never been to Links, Station or Central Park, so hopefully get a couple of them ticked off the list.

15 minutes ago, medals said:

According to former Sky Sports journalist Pete O’Rourke, Ali Koiki has turned down the offer of a new contract at Sixfields and is wanted by several clubs, including Scottish Premier League duo Aberdeen and St Mirren.

Anyone else wondering if he has the same agent as Yerda Selsavon?

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

If Aberdeen are sniffing about, we can certainly stick that one to bed given the prospect of European football until Xmas.

All depends on whether he is their 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice in that position. Clubs will be looking at multiple possibilities and looking for the best value and ability.

1 hour ago, medals said:

His brother Hoki is a pler

St Mirren Charitable Foundation wins £70,000 lottery cash to deliver lifeline support

The charity has been named the winner of the People’s Project after securing most votes from the public.

St Mirren Charitable Foundation is the winner of the People’s Project and the funding needed to launch its 2023/24 Fit and Fed initiative.