The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Rarely been on the past few weeks. 

First of all, 6th place is an incredible season for us, that would have been Robinsons target at the start of the season (not for many other folk tbh)  and he has achieved that . Brilliant. 

Europe was so close yet so far for us, looks like the squad ran out of legs towards the finish line. Lack of options on the bench killed us. Ayunga, Gallagher, even Tait missing came to define our season. If he's available you'd like to think he wouldn't have been sent off twice in the last few games for losing the head.

We have lost some key players from the dressing room now, these wages are freed up. Rebuilding can go both ways but we have the nucleus of a decent squad. I don't think we can handle selling too many players on top of the ones we have lost though. I'm looking at Strain, Baccus and O'Hara.

But aye, enjoyable season, could have been even better with Europe but at the end of the day we didn't really deserve it going by the games after the Tynecastle win.

As for Shaughnessy, he definitely still offers something at this level. For us, he was back up to Gallagher. Done well when called upon but we didn't have the same solidity as we had in the first half of the season. Too good to be sitting on the bench at this stage in his career. 

It's a good signing for Dundee but they will need someone with a bit of speed beside him, especially if yous play with a back 4. Very dominant in the air too and is a leader in the dressing room.

Well I am very disappointed Joe has gone as he was the best defender we had. Gallagher is 2 years older but I do not see any mention of him being past his best. Joe is rarely injured (unlike Gallagher) and poses a threat at set pieces as well as having the longest throw in by anyone in the squad. He is a model pro who doesn't throw toys out the pram and I would happily have let Fraser, Dunne or Gallagher go before Joe. Is he replaceable? Of course he is but still the best of what we had. Gallagher is very good when he is fit and not suspended but Joe provided the best bang for your buck.

58 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Wee bit off topic but maybe of interest to local buddies. Took the daughter to The Boatyard Locwinnoch yesterday for brunch. It's got the wow factor you can see a lot of money has been spent on it to good affect. The outside seating area is very impressive also with its water fountains it's all very impressive the food was not to bad ether. Well worth a visit buds I will defently be back. 

You on commission?

49 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Rarely been on the past few weeks. 

First of all, 6th place is an incredible season for us, that would have been Robinsons target at the start of the season (not for many other folk tbh)  and he has achieved that . Brilliant. 

Europe was so close yet so far for us, looks like the squad ran out of legs towards the finish line. Lack of options on the bench killed us. Ayunga, Gallagher, even Tait missing came to define our season. If he's available you'd like to think he wouldn't have been sent off twice in the last few games for losing the head.

We have lost some key players from the dressing room now, these wages are freed up. Rebuilding can go both ways but we have the nucleus of a decent squad. I don't think we can handle selling too many players on top of the ones we have lost though. I'm looking at Strain, Baccus and O'Hara.

But aye, enjoyable season, could have been even better with Europe but at the end of the day we didn't really deserve it going by the games after the Tynecastle win.

I think Tait missing for most of the season was a big blow as well, with the way we played the two wingbacks didn't really have 90 mins in them a lot of the time and Tait was a decent and solid replacement for either of them, especially if we were trying to see out a game. Small was a decent player, but a bit niave and hot headed at times, and neither Fraser nor Flynn ever looked very comfortable in that wing back position.

ETA, also agree it's easy to lose sight of how successful the season was because of the slightly dissapointing ending, considering we were pretty much written off as relegation certainties at the start they did very well over the peice. Hopefully it shows you do need to give it a bit of time for new players and systems to settle. I'm sure our fans will have learned their lessons and there will be no meltdowns through pre season this time....

Edited by GAD

24 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Well I am very disappointed Joe has gone as he was the best defender we had. Gallagher is 2 years older but I do not see any mention of him being past his best. Joe is rarely injured (unlike Gallagher) and poses a threat at set pieces as well as having the longest throw in by anyone in the squad. He is a model pro who doesn't throw toys out the pram and I would happily have let Fraser, Dunne or Gallagher go before Joe. Is he replaceable? Of course he is but still the best of what we had. Gallagher is very good when he is fit and not suspended but Joe provided the best bang for your buck.

Don't agree with that to be honest. I think Gallagher fully fit is a lot better than Joe and unfortunately, playing both of them together in a back three would have left us far too exposed with a lack of pace.

Joe, whilst better than Fraser technically, would have been massively exposed slotting in and playing beside Gallagher.

I'd have rather kept him as an option, I don't think it would have been wise building the defence around him.

55 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Joe I think was the fall guy for the way we played in the LC in early season. As captain and defensively it was rubbish. He looked too causal and the results tell a story. They both played but it didn't work great.

So SR then froze Joe out. Suspect SR did not see him as the future and a big expense he wanted to offload. SR Hoped he'd  leave in January and he didn't so got used laterly because it was the best option. 

When fit Gallagher has been far better and when not fit Joe has not been flawless. (e.g. I remember him been beaten in the air for a goal against us - he was not nearly commanding enough in the final games too.)

Yes, he did have the long throw and could be a +I've goal threat but so can G.

Your right we'll see if G is on the way down next season and whether he can remain fit but keeping both, on big money would not have been good management.

Tait too was far too slow at this level. Good at times but not nearly consistent enough and again not good value in the squad this season.

What we need is better and potentially sellable assets that we can perhaps benefit from twice over.

We need to kick on as standing still usually means decline - the Fakes with Davidson, Considine etc. Showed us this clearly as one of their fans says in our forum.

7 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Have any of you folks ever noticed a poster called Hendo (unlikely, I know). If so, can you please keep him in this thread as he makes ours unreadable with his weird obsession.

🤣

In the last page of the Killie thread alone, there have been 7 posts calling me weird, obsessed etc simply because i made one post suggesting it was a tad unrealistic, even delusional, for Killie fans to think they had a chance of signing Graham Shinnie.

Now, you are posting on the top 6 St Mirren thread about it, yet you think i'm the one who is obsessed?

Cognitive dissonance alive and well in East Ayrshire.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

🤣

In the last page of the Killie thread alone, there have been 7 posts calling me weird, obsessed etc simply because i made one post suggesting it was a tad unrealistic, even delusional, for Killie fans to think they had a chance of signing Graham Shinnie.

Now, you are posting on the top 6 St Mirren thread about it, yet you think i'm the one who is obsessed?

Cognitive dissonance alive and well in East Ayrshire.

Dunno about that, but in Cheshire West all I see is you spamming the shit out of the Killie thread while apparently saying nowt about your own team. *R E N T F R E E*

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Dunno about that, but in Cheshire West all I see is you spamming the shit out of the Killie thread while apparently saying nowt about your own team. *R E N T F R E E*

I sometimes comment on other teams threads about their team. I also comment about my own team on the St Mirren thread. Its kind of how a football forum works.

Just now, Hendo said:

I sometimes comment on other teams threads about their team. I also comment about my own team on the St Mirren thread. Its kind of how a football forum works.

Thanks for clarifying that Tony, I suspect I know how it works.If several people are saying you are obsessed & wierd *sic, on another teams thread then that says more about you than them.Enjoy your night furiously throwing darts at our team photo.

No surprise that Robbo admitted his mistake regarding Shaughnessy and offered him a new deal.

Also no surprise that Shaughnessy knocked it back and signed for another Premiership club instead.  The captain has had some really shabby treatment this season and if I was him I’d have told where Robbo to go aswell.

40 minutes ago, Lex said:

No surprise that Robbo admitted his mistake regarding Shaughnessy and offered him a new deal.

Also no surprise that Shaughnessy knocked it back and signed for another Premiership club instead.  The captain has had some really shabby treatment this season and if I was him I’d have told where Robbo to go aswell.

Behave yourself , Joe was going to be a back up this coming season and not a first pick.

Good luck to him he’s been a terrific player and a good captain this past 3 seasons. He’s a decent experienced signing for Dundee. 
I expect Robinson to replace him with a younger and better defender.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Behave yourself , Joe was going to be a back up this coming season and not a first pick.

Good luck to him he’s been a terrific player and a good captain this past 3 seasons. He’s a decent experienced signing for Dundee. 
I expect Robinson to replace him with a younger and better defender.

Was he? He was starting every game at the business of the season - 8 out our last 9 I think - and he had a new deal on the table. 

If Robbo didn’t want him it would have been very easy to freeze him out and release him. Instead, he played him every week and offered him a new deal. 
A brutal - but not a surprising - knock back. 

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Was he? He was starting every game at the business of the season - 8 out our last 9 I think - and he had a new deal on the table. 

If Robbo didn’t want him it would have been very easy to freeze him out and release him. Instead, he played him every week and offered him a new deal. 
A brutal - but not a surprising - knock back. 

Agenda?

Joe has moved on time for this to be put to bed. For the club to progress we need to improve on what we had last season. 

Robbo will bring in replacements and it is these new players who will decide if he made mistakes letting x y z go.