The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Div said:

Although I do not support the Conference League proposal there is a real problem in Scotland when players get to Murray's age.

Murray is stuck. He's not physically capable yet of competing in the first team, and I don't think, given the position he plays, that he's physically able at this point in his development to even go on loan to a lower league club. A 16/17 year old kid playing CH would get smashed to bits in League 2.

Without a proper reserve league to play in he literally has nowhere to go and that more than any financial rewards are what will eventually see him go down to England where clubs have full squads competing in the England Under-23 Leagues.

Worryingly our under-18 squad got absolutely destroyed this season as per the league table that champions Hamilton published.

under-18.jpg

I heard a whisper there has been disquiet at the academy . Apparently everything up to the 16 year olds is fine , but the older boys are not enjoying it and are reportedly wanting out , hence the likes of Murray Campbell is leaving . 

14 minutes ago, billyg said:

I heard a whisper there has been disquiet at the academy . Apparently everything up to the 16 year olds is fine , but the older boys are not enjoying it and are reportedly wanting out , hence the likes of Murray Campbell is leaving . 

Yip, it's a real concern. The academy has got us out of a few holes in the past, both with the players it's put on the park, and the money we've then brought in when we've sold them on.

It was the coming of age of Mallan, McAllister, Morgan and Magennis as much as Jacks January wheeling and dealing that got us away from the disaster of a League 1 relegation to back into the top flight within 18 months.

I thought Robinson mentioned in his end of season interview, that there has been some change at the academy with new staff and some changes made. 
For us it’s vital that we get this spot on as there’s been a steady flow of good young players coming through the youth system.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Agreed but he's injured a lot.

Seems to still be having issues with his back. Hopefully a good rest before pre season is enough to see him back to full fitness.

9 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

My cousin and his sons are season ticket holders at Morecambe. See what I can find out . 

They'll probably have as much of a clue about whats going on at their club as we do at ours.

4 hours ago, billyg said:

Just saw the league position of the under 18,s totally unimpressive , and miles behind the rest of the league . What happened? Were the group of players considerably better as under 16s ? Will the older players 8n the under 16s get offered professional contracts when they move up to under 18s ?

I’d also heard some disappointing feedback from a parent of a young guy who was at the academy. I would not want to name names, but the young man chose to leave and now plays elsewhere whilst he is at university. He was in the academy for some time, with ‘LJ’ and Ethan, but had had enough. Suppose there will always be some negative feedback from young players and their parents, even in the best academies.

I’m reading a lot of ‘I’m hearing’ or ‘Someone told me’ type of posts from folk about St Mirren these days. Usually SMiSA, Kibble, BoD, or squad related. Now it’s the academy whispers. I’m not having a dig at those posting, just asking - what is supposedly the problem at the academy? Bad coaching? Lack of opportunity? Bullying? Badly organised? Poor communication between academy and players/parents? What are the nature of the complaints? I don’t know much about the academy, I suspect I’m not alone in that amongst supporters at large.

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I suspect I’m not alone in that amongst supporters at large.

How many of our supporters are "at large" and what ever are they after you for? (Is it the Kibble again?) 😂

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Smisa should ask these kind of questions, check for progress and report to members.  They own us.

1 minute ago, medals said:

How many of our supporters are "at large" and what ever are they after you for? (Is it the Kibble again?) 😂

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Smisa should ask these kind of questions, check for progress and report to members.  They own us.

I walked into that…. St Mirren supporters are at large, police helicopters and armed marksmen are on Greenhill Road…

😀

Not really worried about the poor league position mentioned above and the accompanying rumours, as @Captain Saintsible has pointed out unearthing one gem every coupla years is more valuable than winning any number of age division titles.

What might be more of a problem is that if we are going to continue with the current model of going for talented Antipodeans for resale that might restrict the opportunities of  bringing our own young players through to the first team but that seems to be the current vogue among our fans.

15 hours ago, Div said:

Yip, it's a real concern. The academy has got us out of a few holes in the past, both with the players it's put on the park, and the money we've then brought in when we've sold them on.

It was the coming of age of Mallan, McAllister, Morgan and Magennis as much as Jacks January wheeling and dealing that got us away from the disaster of a League 1 relegation to back into the top flight within 18 months.

I believe there's some kind of stand-off , the academy staff think the older boys should be fully coached by them , but SR wants a bigger say , and wants the older boys hardened up as they get closer to being involved with the senior team ?

15 hours ago, billyg said:

There is a real need for a reserve league again, this is why boys are falling off the system.

When you reach the age of around 18-20/21 and you are not getting a sniff near the first team and you are cut off from the under 18s, it must be a limbo situation unless you are sent out on loan. If we had a reserves league back where there is no age limit, it would help with these players.