The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 hours ago, Torfason said:

I think Scott is low on confidence and will be a different player after a pre season. 

It just goes to show what an impact he's had, when I first started reading that I was thinking, "Wait.. but Tanser has been brilliant this season", until I realised it was a different Scott!

How many games has (James) Scott had for us? I remember 3 appearances at the start but I don't think he's gotten on since, has he?

Like @djchapsticks it would be folly to mock a Robinson signing. He's had so few failures, even Olusanya who looked rotten with us, then with Arbroath has turned into a very useful player. What's more, I got my fingers burnt with Hemming. His previous season was an utter disaster, both playing, injury and personal issues. It looked a mental decision to put him in at #1, although forced somewhat by Carson's actions. Just before the split, and it's fair to say Hemming has surpassed most people's expectation, certainly mine. So, yeah... maybe Robinson knows more about football than I do..! ;)

Regarding PCAs, we would regularly bemoan under different managers that we were always on the cusp of changing league, either Championship up or Premiership down, thus meaning we couldn't be proactive with recruitment. The only question that is really up in the air now is the European place (yes, top 6 is still to be confirmed but I feel we'll get over that line), so I feel we are in a much better position than before when it comes to attracting players.

The Spittal thing, if there ever was anything other than "we'll take you if you are willing to come", is just a bigger team with a higher wage budget coming in for him. It helped his case by going on quite a purple patch too. Can't really complain about that.

Edited by Ric

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

Given Scott has looked pish when he has played and now cant even get off the bench, do you think we might rescind the offer?

A few others answered this well. He's still young but has shown some past magic.

I think SR has said to him there is a Jersey here for you but you need to want it and get yourself fully fit.

Maybe in the final 5 or so games he will get going but if not next season. 

I'd still consider signing Murray though

24 minutes ago, medals said:

A few others answered this well. He's still young but has shown some past magic.

I think SR has said to him there is a Jersey here for you but you need to want it and get yourself fully fit.

Maybe in the final 5 or so games he will get going but if not next season. 

I'd still consider signing Murray though

Yes, I think so too, his work ethic is phenomenal, works opposisng defences tirelessly, similar to Alex Grieve, but crucially, Murray definitely hits the target more often. 

Simon Murray? As in Simon Murray from Ross Country? Colour me unimpressed.

Obvs, the game is now one of statistics, so perhaps all his numbers match up to what we need, but jinkies..

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Simon Murray? As in Simon Murray from Ross Country? Colour me unimpressed.

Obvs, the game is now one of statistics, so perhaps all his numbers match up to what we need, but jinkies..

10 goals and 4 assists for RC this season...

Aren't fans always looking for ac10 goal plus striker? He's a free agent in the summer.

Think Utd might be interested.

Just now, medals said:

Aren't fans always looking for ac10 goal plus striker? He's a free agent in the summer.

Think Utd might be interested.

He has had a great season, that's true, but he's 32 and no guarantee he'll keep that up. What's more he is being played constantly by RC, he's only missed one or two games all season, and we know that constant playing increases confidence and output. Do you think Robinson will be willing to play him every game?

I've gotten my fingers burnt questioning Robinson's recruitment, but he is a hugely uninspiring target imo.

11 hours ago, Hendo said:

Given Scott has looked pish when he has played and now cant even get off the bench, do you think we might rescind the offer?

How can that even be an option. By rescind you mean rip up so (thankfully) those days are long gone. Our only option would be to take a hit and make him on offer to terminate come the summer hence he could sign elsewhere. Let's at least give the guy a pre season.

13 minutes ago, medals said:

As the main striker who gets the majority of their chances.

Would he be that type for you?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wasn't he touted to join you lot?

If so, what was the reason he didn't?

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He usually plays off the main striker... White or a n other.

He's often out wide putting good balls in. Turns out when he's got chances he has a decent hit rate. 

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Wasn't he touted to join you lot?

If so, what was the reason he didn't?

No idea, but would take a punt that the wages he's on at Ross County are prohibitive for a club desperately trying to scale back on wages spent considering his age.

5 minutes ago, medals said:

He usually plays off the main striker... White or a n other.

He's often out wide putting good balls in. Turns out when he's got chances he has a decent hit rate. 

I meant in terms of who gets the chances. He's the main one, White is there to occupy CBs so Muray has space.

I guess the ghost of Curtis Main hangs over any striker we bring in. Under Goodwin he was a waste of space, under Robinson he was a reformed character that banged in the goals. If Robinson thinks Murray is just a copy of Main, then I suppose we should be hopeful of Murray joining us.

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

How can that even be an option. By rescind you mean rip up so (thankfully) those days are long gone. Our only option would be to take a hit and make him on offer to terminate come the summer hence he could sign elsewhere. Let's at least give the guy a pre season.

Maybe there is a clause that if he missed a sitter at Ross County and almost hit the corner flag in doing so, the deal is off.

I don't think it'll happen, but I think you'd be more likely to go for Chris Kane than Simon Murray.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea, but would take a punt that the wages he's on at Ross County are prohibitive for a club desperately trying to scale back on wages spent considering his age.

I meant in terms of who gets the chances. He's the main one, White is there to occupy CBs so Muray has space.

Ok, but Murray plays off and with a main striker. He's also tricky enough to create his own chances.

His wages are the issue. So if we get europe, he might be an option.

As for his age, he's still got a season or 2 at this level. He's a fit lad and not often missing due to injuries.

Just now, medals said:

Ok, but Murray plays off and with a main striker. 

We're meaning different things with "main striker", I think. I probably worded it poorly but their set up seems to be Whites there to get Murray goalscoring chances, so Murray is the most important striker. 

I don't think he gets that priority with you so you shouldn't expect a similar goal return.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

I guess the ghost of Curtis Main hangs over any striker we bring in. Under Goodwin he was a waste of space, under Robinson he was a reformed character that banged in the goals. If Robinson thinks Murray is just a copy of Main, then I suppose we should be hopeful of Murray joining us.

Murray is nothing like Main. He plays off a main striker... so with Mandron or Ayunga

His stats say he created 35 chances in the league... imagine Mandron on those instead of White

Edited by medals

8 minutes ago, medals said:

Murray is nothing like Main. He plays off a main striker... so with Mandron or Ayunga

His stats say he created 35 chances in the league... imagine Mandron on those instead of White

Without knowing what the stats regarding the chances made by other players, I cannot say whether 35 is good or not. It's clearly not zero, which would be very bad. 35 chances over 30 games is just over one chance per game. Are you saying we have players that are worse than that?

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think it'll happen, but I think you'd be more likely to go for Chris Kane than Simon Murray.

There is more chance of you stopping being obsessed by the real Saints than signing that dud !

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

Without knowing what the stats regarding the chances made by other players, I cannot say whether 35 is good or not. It's clearly not zero, which would be very bad. 35 chances over 30 games is just over one chance per game. Are you saying we have players that are worse than that?

So Mandron has created 24. I know it's only 1 comparison but he's only scored 7 league goals and 2 assists. . Although he has played less.

Kiltie created 33. Scored 4 and 5 assists. I think comparing him to Murray is more reasonable. Kiltie has some other attributes but Murray is more clinical.