The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

He will be living an incredible life in the USA.

Don't understand why more Scots don't go down that route.

Morgan on ~£1.1m a year and gets to live in New York. Gauld on ~£2m a year and lives in Vancouver. General level seems to be around the same as ours but less physical.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

Look what happened with Turnbull when he moved from Motherwell. 

Not being a dick or anything but what happened with Turnbull?

His Celtic career probably didn't pan out as he might have hoped but a serious injury and a change of manager was as much a factor in that as anything.

He made 125 appearances for Celtic compared to Morgan's 31.

Won PFA YPOTY, was Celtic's POTY and YPOTY in his first season along with being included in the PFA team of the year and was a member of the Scotland Euro2020 squad.

Along with:
2 League Titles
2 Scottish Cups
2 League Cups

His time at Parkhead was hardly a bust.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

His Celtic career probably didn't pan out as he might have hoped but a serious injury and a change of manager was as much a factor in that as anything.

Won PFA YPOTY, was Celtic's POTY and YPOTY in his first season along with being included in the PFA team of the year and was a member of the Scotland Euro2020 squad.

Along with:
2 League Titles
2 Scottish Cups
2 League Cups

Difference was Turnbull was signed for over 10x the fee of Morgan. 

I think as Scotland fans we all hoped that he would get a chance to prosper at Celtic. 

Let’s be honest you and I could win trophies at Celtic.

Agree there have been injuries and change of manager etc. 

But despite the glittering array of awards and trophies at Celtic he has only managed 5 international caps. 

Thankfully time is on his side and I hope the change of scenery down in Cardiff and the tougher league competition he will get his career back on track. 

It’s not a dig at Turnbull but the often suffocating nature of signing as a Scottish player with one of the OF. 

14 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Difference was Turnbull was signed for over 10x the fee of Morgan. 

I think as Scotland fans we all hoped that he would get a chance to prosper at Celtic. 

Let’s be honest you and I could win trophies at Celtic.

Agree there have been injuries and change of manager etc. 

But despite the glittering array of awards and trophies at Celtic he has only managed 5 international caps. 

Thankfully time is on his side and I hope the change of scenery down in Cardiff and the tougher league competition he will get his career back on track. 

It’s not a dig at Turnbull but the often suffocating nature of signing as a Scottish player with one of the OF. 

Equally I'm not knocking Morgan.

I just don't think that his and Turnbull's Celtic careers are particularly comparable.

13 hours ago, Molotov said:

Last time I spoke with Iain was at the celebration of winning the Anglo Scottish Cup. It might have been the 35th anniversary in 2015.

Iain travelled (I assume at his own expense) from USA to be at the event.

He came across as such a humble guy who says that his time at St Mirren was the greatest period in his career.

I don’t believe he ever won international recognition or trophies with any other club bar St Mirren. 

He qualifies for the Hall of Fame.

What appears to tarnish his reputation at our club is the 24 hour period when he was appointed our manager. 

From what I understand he was informed that not all the directors were in favour of his managerial appointment so he felt from day 1 he did not have the backing of the board so he resigned. 

Unbeaten manager! 

Unbelievable left back!  

His partnership with Peter Weir was out fcuking standing. 

IMG_8528.jpeg.395a82abf6e48979e92b4db2fd1f363c.jpeg

Great player . Mind him driving his Lotus Europa also mind his debut second time round in the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1977 against Notts County . Nobody knew we signed him until kick off .

15 hours ago, Molotov said:

Who's he getting a cap in front of?

Scotlands midfield is arguably as stacked as it's been in decades. 

17 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Along with:
2 League Titles
2 Scottish Cups
2 League Cups

Celtic fans always seem to have it in for young Scottish players. Turnbull is a brilliant player and will go on to have a great career IMO.

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't understand why more Scots don't go down that route.

Morgan on ~£1.1m a year and gets to live in New York. Gauld on ~£2m a year and lives in Vancouver. General level seems to be around the same as ours but less physical.

Yup!

As long as you don’t give a f**k about playing for your country, it’s a no brainer. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who's he getting a cap in front of?

Scotlands midfield is arguably as stacked as it's been in decades. 

I don’t disagree but since you asked here are two examples.

Ryan Jack?

I’d argue that Turnbull is potentially a better option when fit and playing regularly with his club side. 

Kenny McLean?

As a St Mirren fan I’d say that Turnbull is a player we should be looking towards building around for the future instead of the mayor of Norwich. 

Sure we can argue that they cover different roles but I personally had hoped that Turnbull would have kicked on at Celtic. 

Armstrong and Christie are good servants for Scotland but guys like Turnbull will be the future.

Maybe someone will have some pie charts to compare? 😂 

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

I don’t disagree but since you asked here are two examples.

Ryan Jack?

I’d argue that Turnbull is potentially a better option when fit and playing regularly with his club side. 

Kenny McLean?

As a St Mirren fan I’d say that Turnbull is a player we should be looking towards building around for the future instead of the mayor of Norwich. 

Sure we can argue that they cover different roles but I personally had hoped that Turnbull would have kicked on at Celtic. 

Armstrong and Christie are good servants for Scotland but guys like Turnbull will be the future.

Maybe someone will have some pie charts to compare? 😂 

I've never thought of Turnbull as a holding midfielder much more attacking than the role either Jack or McLean play for Scotland. 

31 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I've never thought of Turnbull as a holding midfielder much more attacking than the role either Jack or McLean play for Scotland. 

Which is why I caveated my feedback accordingly. 

Armstrong and Christie are good servants for Scotland but guys like Turnbull will be the future.”

Remember though that Steve Clarke has modified the roles of many club players to suit the needs of the national team.

John McGinn and Scott McTominay spring to mind (as does Kieran Teirney). 

The impact of the role change at national level has actually enhanced the roles of John and Scott at Villa and Man U. It has had an immense influence on McGinn’s role at Villa under Emery.

“He brought up the Scotland goals and said ‘why are you scoring like this for Scotland and not for Aston Villa?’ Maybe thank you to [Scotland manager] Steve Clarke for putting me higher up the pitch.”

Worth having a look at this interview from January:

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football/premier-league/2023-2024/exclusive-john-mcginn-thought-he-was-done-at-aston-villa-before-revival-under-brilliant-unai-emery_sto10000624/story.shtml

On 24/03/2024 at 09:22, meadowroadsaint said:

Ian Munro is the best Left Back I’ve ever seen for Saints. A joy to watch. Stood up at the top of the Love Street end a good few times so I could ,hopefully, get an idea of how he managed to make playing that position so easy. Or so it seemed to me. 👍Magnificent football player.

Tony Connell wasn't to bad either

5 hours ago, jaybeee said:

There can't be too many of us left who remember Tony Connell at full back! Played with Cammy Murray as the other full back - another good player.

6 hours ago, jaybeee said:

27 minutes ago, Gordong said:

There can't be too many of us left who remember Tony Connell at full back! Played with Cammy Murray as the other full back - another good player.

I remember Tony Connell, Cammy Murray and Andy McFadden……..the benefits of being an old fart 😂

Great memories of going to Love Street😢 to see Saints back then…

17 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Baccus nowhere near the Aussie team today. Wonder if injured or allowed to head back early?

Suspended after getting booked (shocking, I know) in their last game. Hopefully he was allowed to fly back early!