The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Exactly what I said in the Aberdeen manager thread.

It came from a combination of his presence and someone on Radio Scotland commenting that he's there despite there being 'No Northern Irish players on the pitch'. 

Which half-wit said that?

Spoiler

Was it Pat Bonner?

I'm sure Robinson would be on the list if O'Neill gets the Aberdeen job but I think NI promoting Tommy Wright from their U-21s would be more likely - hope so anyway.

4 minutes ago, zildjian said:

Genuinely embarrasing 2nd half from us today. Travelling fans didnt deserve that garbage. 

Motherwell, hearts and celtic left. 

Its the St Mirren way. We like kick our fans in the balls

From bullying a team all over the park to cant defend a straight punt through the middle.  Classic Saints today. Struggle now to even make to 6 despite not being out the top 5 all season. Am I surprised.....not one bit !!!

Really poor second half total collapse. I listened to Mcinnes and he demands Kilmarnock are too six and he sounds like he’s pushing them on. We always seem to be hopeful as if you know we’re not normally very good and maybe we will do it . Anyhow this today was unbelievable and it will take some time to get over 

42 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Really poor second half total collapse. I listened to Mcinnes and he demands Kilmarnock are too six and he sounds like he’s pushing them on. We always seem to be hopeful as if you know we’re not normally very good and maybe we will do it . Anyhow this today was unbelievable and it will take some time to get over 

Think this is the difference. We don't publicly demand from the players. The Dundee away and today were shockers. I don't think O'Hara and CBM work together. Its one or the other with Kwon or Baccus. 

We got bullied and out fought second half. As for Flynn at fault for 2 of the goals. He is done. Why not play Brown from the start. 

Its a pity we have a break now as we need this game out our system 

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

Think this is the difference. We don't publicly demand from the players. The Dundee away and today were shockers. I don't think O'Hara and CBM work together. Its one or the other with Kwon or Baccus. 

We got bullied and out fought second half. As for Flynn at fault for 2 of the goals. He is done. Why not play Brown from the start. 

Its a pity we have a break now as we need this game out our system 

Flynn and Dunne are far weaker options than Taylor and Brown and I think almost everyone of a St. Mirren persuasion is of this opinion.

The defence today scared me on paper and it absolutely proved true in the second half.

6 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Struggle now to even make to 6 despite not being out the top 5 all season. Am I surprised.....not one bit !!!

That's quite pessimistic. We need to win 2 and draw 1 of our 4 games left in order to overtake you if you lose all 3 of yours. To catch you with a 6 point deficit and our goal difference with 3/4 games to go is a big ask. 

image.png.5067382dc1c57531c610160fe45db4e7.png

I think we'll still make top 6, although not a certainty. I - only half joking - said 'watch us finish 6th now' after the Aberdeen game and looking at the fixtures all the teams have.

I could see the season fizzling out, especially if we've got players carrying injuries and missing games.

Bolton injured, Tanser possibly, and I can only assume that Kwon and Baccus aren't 100% as they're our two best centre midfielders and both spent the whole game on the bench today.

19 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I think we'll still make top 6, although not a certainty. I - only half joking - said 'watch us finish 6th now' after the Aberdeen game and looking at the fixtures all the teams have.

I could see the season fizzling out, especially if we've got players carrying injuries and missing games.

Bolton injured, Tanser possibly, and I can only assume that Kwon and Baccus aren't 100% as they're our two best centre midfielders and both spent the whole game on the bench today.

Strain due back. Bolton back for Motherwell game. Elvis was ill. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Flynn and Dunne are far weaker options than Taylor and Brown and I think almost everyone of a St. Mirren persuasion is of this opinion.

The defence today scared me on paper and it absolutely proved true in the second half.

Totally agree, though Gogic was dug shit today as well which didn't help. 

24 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Totally agree, though Gogic was dug shit today as well which didn't help. 

Gogic has dipped in form imo. Since the Ross County game he has not been at his best. Still playing well but not 100%

We missed Bolton today. 

I still can't understand why Kwon or Baccus didn't start. 

We can say it worked 1st half but Killie stood off us. We need the dig in the middle of the park but both CBM and MOH dont offer that. 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I was really surprised Dunne got the nod yesterday (he might have scored but going by reports he didn't do his job particularly well) over Taylor, unless Taylor isn't fit. And I thought we'd ditched Flynn playing at rightback earlier in the season when we put Small at RWB and looked a lot better. Surely could have done the same with Brown.

As soon as I saw that team I was worried - although at half-time I wasn't too concerned. Bizarre that neither Baccus nor Kwon started. McMenamin coming in from the off was also a bit of a surprise.

Fully understand folk being annoyed and angry after yesterday (aside from the usual OTT comments on Twitter) but I just found myself laughing at the ridiculous predictability of it all. There's not much more you can do when a man who used to present Blue Peter is screaming "And there's been another goal for Kilmarnock" every two minutes.  My mood would almost certainly have been totally different had I been there.

To cap it all, I was at a quiz last night and there was a football question about Hammarby 😂

Edited by Stu

While disappointing, the result is a bit of an outlier. We really don't lose that badly all that often, and in my mind this result is the yin to the yang of the Aberdeen comeback. Shame about the GD but we play Motherwell next game while they are at Hearts. I'd say our game is mildly easier, although not by much, but it's just as likely that we could swap places by this time next week.

Edited by Ric

So glad I missed that game yesterday to be on a high at halftime only for the rug to be pulled from under your feet must have been hellish. That pain will last a few days I can't even bring myself to watch Sportscene. I said on the match day thread still a lot of football to be played my passport is already. Does 5th get you into Europe It's not the be all top six will be another remarkable achievement.  

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

So glad I missed that game yesterday to be on a high at halftime only for the rug to be pulled from under your feet must have been hellish. That pain will last a few days I can't even bring myself to watch Sportscene. I said on the match day thread still a lot of football to be played my passport is already. Does 5th get you into Europe It's not the be all top six will be another remarkable achievement.  

It does if Celtic, Rangers or Hearts win the cup.