The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KTID26 said:

It is the hope that keeps you going. Your team will face a wounded animal well motivated to win this game. If you think your team will win this game easily you need to think again.. This game is possibly your last chance to open a gap with another 3 tough asks to follow. 

However it ends both clubs will have exceeded expectations this season. 

Agreed. We don't play well on artificial surfaces, Killie have had our number for the last couple of seasons, Derek McInnes has had our number since basically day one of being a manager. Kilmarnock are dangerous and I expect them to be dangerous all the way from now until the end of the season. They also have this fucking annoying habit (for us, not for them) of not even being able to write off games vs Rangers and Celtic as a gimme.

Currently I'd probably take a point if offered, three points would be massive.

However, I don't agree that it's our last chance to open a gap. I feel that Fir Park and Hearts at home are also both individually winnable given we have won both of these fixtures in the first round of games, albeit with Motherwell and Hearts being in different places to where they are now.

Edited by djchapsticks

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

I had high hopes for him, but only 1 goal during his loan spell and unable to get a start in a very poor United side makes me think he maybe wasnt quite good enough.

I liked Grieve mostly for his hard work and enthusiasm. Plus he scored a couple of important goals for us.

Just lacks something that would make him worth keeping on.

2 hours ago, KTID26 said:

It is the hope that keeps you going. Your team will face a wounded animal well motivated to win this game. If you think your team will win this game easily you need to think again.. This game is possibly your last chance to open a gap with another 3 tough asks to follow. 

Absolutely.

I don't think that yesterday's result will have any great bearing on next week's game.

18 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I liked Grieve mostly for his hard work and enthusiasm. Plus he scored a couple of important goals for us.

Grieve was a complete punt who gave everything and did reasonably well.

He's not making it into anyone's best ever St Mirren 11, but he was a decent player who chipped in with some important goals. 

There won't be many fans with a bad word to say about him. 

25 minutes ago, FTOF said:

To me hes not clean enough technically, so things end up looking more powderpuff/weak than they are and makes him average/below average.

If he sorts that then suddenly you've got a great striker for this level, but IMO that seems to have been his issue for his whole time with you.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To me hes not clean enough technically, so things end up looking more powderpuff/weak than they are and makes him average/below average.

If he sorts that then suddenly you've got a great striker for this level, but IMO that seems to have been his issue for his whole time with you.

That's fair. He never seemed to be an especially clean striker of the ball.

I made the point elsewhere that, while he was an ok option off the bench, he was usually a very slightly different version of what he was replacing. Whereas someone like Olusanya is a total wildcard that has the potential to wreak absolute havoc.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Grieve is absolutely fine but you are probably right. He's got a great knack of grabbing a late goal but he doesnt influence games enough to ever be a starter. Olusanya has picked up his role 100% and as Coventry Saint said, rather than just hanging about and maybe getting on the end of something, he's a game changer in that he drags defenders all over the shop in a way that Grieve can't. 

Just looking back at when he signed, he was a Goodwin purchase (Jan 22) with Robinson arriving in Feb. In the reporting at the time, Goodwin stated that they'd been after him for a while.

I think Greive is very much a Goodwin player and it's no surprise that he ended up going to United, here is what Goodwin said about him arriving with us..

"He's brings creativity, he's a little bit different to some of the other strikers we have at the moment, he's quite dynamic and he's a decent footballer so we're excited to have him involved,"

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I'm not sure if he was overly "creative" or "a little bit different". I think a settled run of games would do him the world of good and he didn't really get that with us, nor with United it seems.

Minor Edit: Although we don't have full visibility on how he reacted to being benched/dropped, he never publicly came out and complained. It's notable that on the pitch too, he's not someone who gives up due to lack of motivation. Both of those factors should hint at his personality, which goes in his favour.

Edited by Ric

St Mirren's wing-backs are vital to the way they play under Stephen Robinson, with Scott Tanser playing every league game down the left-hand side this season.

The Englishman has been a key figure and has put in the most crosses from open play in the Scottish Premiership this season.

Tanser has offered up 160 crosses, almost 30 per cent of St Mirren's total crosses from open play (543).

Rangers' James Tavernier and Kilmarnock's Danny Armstrong are the only other players in the league to have provided more than 100.

Additionally, the 29-year-old has helped to create 28 chances and has provided four assists.

From the BBC.

Quite variable quality, but definitely a very important part of our team.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

From the BBC.

Quite variable quality, but definitely a very important part of our team.

We rely to.much on Tanser who has been superb. Once we have Strain back we are better balanced when attacking. 

11 minutes ago, AW saint said:

We rely to.much on Tanser who has been superb. Once we have Strain back we are better balanced when attacking. 

Having seen his play reel, I was expecting a bit more on the crossing front from Elvis TBH.

He has shown he can put in crosses of decent quality, but too often he turns back when there's an opportunity to get the ball into the box early.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Having seen his play reel, I was expecting a bit more on the crossing front from Elvis TBH.

He has shown he can put in crosses of decent quality, but too often he turns back when there's an opportunity to get the ball into the box early.

I don't mind Elvis, he gets a lot of stick, but I think he's just a different player to Strain. I think he's more solid and more defensive. Would probably be better as a right back in a flat 4, but he works hard and I don't think he ever really lets us down.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Yes, it’s not even just getting crosses in, it’s taking on his man as well.

So often he gets the ball midway inside the opposition half with an opportunity to go at the defender, but he seems to lack the confidence and either cuts back or plays a sideways pass. 

All that said I really like him and think he’s done well. He’s a a decent defender which when all is said and done, is his primary job. 

Just now, GAD said:

I don't mind Elvis, he gets a lot of stick, but I think he's just a different player to Strain. I think he's more solid and more defensive. Would probably be better as a right back in a flat 4, but he works hard and I don't think he ever really lets us down.

Was just going to post the same. Elvis is fine, but far better defensively than going forward. Would probably suit playing RB in a 4 more than a wing back in a 5. 

40 minutes ago, GAD said:

does he?can’t say i have noticed that

20 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I was going to say the same. I thought he was pretty well liked. 

indeed.

My only minor gripe is the one I've already mentioned.

He's fairly solid and has performed quite well defensively.

21 minutes ago, FTOF said:

indeed.

My only minor gripe is the one I've already mentioned.

He's fairly solid and has performed quite well defensively.

Elvis has been a much better addition than what i thought he may have been judging by his CV. 

7 hours ago, KTID26 said:

Next week will undoubtedly be a very tough game. Our record at Rugby Park is pretty dismal, can't remember the last time we won there.

I hope both of us qualify for Europe this season, as based on finance the bigger clubs should usually take the top 5 spots. Both of us have done well this season, due to stable and good management, plus Aberdeen being pish and Hibs having a defence that couldnt keep weans out a close.

3 hours ago, Stan Bo said:

Was just going to post the same. Elvis is fine, but far better defensively than going forward. Would probably suit playing RB in a 4 more than a wing back in a 5. 

Elvis is defensively fine in a positional sense.

He has been very poor at stopping his winger though if I'm being critical. He isn't great in the tackle at all.