The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's not a bad problem to have, "how high up will we end up?", rather than, "how low will we end up?"

I also think that Euro qualification shouldn't interrupt the search for players we'll use in the domestic league. We can start putting out feelers now, if they haven't already been put out, knowing if we do qualify it would be a case of just adding numbers, rather than searching for the core of a team.

No chance we're adding numbers to the squad to allow for Europe. We wouldn't be in it for long enough to justify the outlay. We should run a lean squad, but use any additional budget to improve the quality. 

Same numbers as this year, but overall improvement, is what we should be looking for. 

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

We've been waiting for that McGinn loot to drop for years now! :lol:

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure he'll move. Villa are up the top end of the league, they are a big club, Emry has them playing very well, and the word from McGinn is that he's loving being there.

Of course.

My comments are invariably “tongue in cheek” on P&B.

McGinn - Villa captain. Trusted by his manager and a great opportunity to be in Champions League next season.

Highly unlikely he will move on.

Recent interview with Ethan here:

My random guess is avoid relegation was our main aim but secondary was get top 6. Anything above that is a bonus. We're still in a position to challenge for European football and in a position that may end up getting that.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

No chance we're adding numbers to the squad to allow for Europe. We wouldn't be in it for long enough to justify the outlay. We should run a lean squad, but use any additional budget to improve the quality. 

Same numbers as this year, but overall improvement, is what we should be looking for. 

I get that. The issue I feel is that the minute you run a lean squad you'll start getting Tanser, or O'Hara or Strain out with long term injuries. The classic Murphy's Law effect.

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Of course.

My comments are invariably “tongue in cheek” on P&B.

No problems.. I think we are all hoping for that McGinn transfer!

Don’t particularly care how Top 6 was eventually rubber stamped - we lose but St J and ‘Well do us a huge favour, the fact remains we have secured Top 6 football before a tough fixture against Celtic. Does it win us a Top 6 trophy? Nope, but it secures at worst 6th place prize money, amongst other things. Ask CK how his hospitality bookings will look for remaining home games, and what will our visiting / home fan numbers be for whoever we do get, as opposed to Livvy, Ross C or St Johnstone. At the start of every season, it’s not unreasonable to think the Top 6 may well contain the Glasgow uglies, the Auld Reekie teams, and (based on budget, expectations, famousness and being a ‘big club’ - Aberdeen. Motherwell and Killie are no mugs, nor are Dundee. To see off Motherwell, Hibs, and Aberdeen, is worthy of a small dram being raised, but not on an open top bus. Just in the comfort of your own living room.

Do we want Europe, if it means a trip to Diddyville in Wales, or some far flung corner of Azerbaijan? Damn right we should. The alternative is to hope we finish 6th and don’t make it? Nah, not for me. Bring it on. I want to see the UEFA flag flying in the corner of the ground, and Gianni Infantino flying in again to watch his favourite team in Europe.

Feels like we have spunked away at least a dozen points due to all sorts of shite performances, but fcuk it, time for that dram. I’ll make it a double if this season sees St Mirren in Europe and Ferranti Thistle relegated. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Ric said:

So Killie won, Hearts won, that's the bad news, but...

..Motherwell and St Johnstone winning has "given" us the top 6.

Just got to keep Dundee at arms length, and hopefully pull back the distance between us and Killie. There is a 6 pointer coming up, but honestly I think our faltering form has probably put rest to a 4th place.

We got 6 place not because Well and the Fakes has given it to us, we got 6th place due to winning more points in the 32 games prior than any other clubs. 

Just now, tam the bud said:

We got 6 place not because Well and the Fakes has given it to us, we got 6th place due to winning more points in the 32 games prior than any other clubs. 

That's why the word was in "quotes" .. ;)

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Do we want Europe, if it means a trip to Diddyville in Wales, or some far flung corner of Azerbaijan? Damn right we should. The alternative is to hope we finish 6th and don’t make it? Nah, not for me. Bring it on. I want to see the UEFA flag flying in the corner of the ground, and Gianni Infantino flying in again to watch his favourite team in Europe.

From a fans perspective it's always going to be a yes. Even if you don't go to the games because they are 7 timezones away next to a war zone, it's nice to see your team in the mix.

I was more meaning from a club's point of view. Didn't St Johnstone lose a ton of money from their last European sojourn? Or Motherwell for that matter?

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

From a fans perspective it's always going to be a yes. Even if you don't go to the games because they are 7 timezones away next to a war zone, it's nice to see your team in the mix.

I was more meaning from a club's point of view. Didn't St Johnstone lose a ton of money from their last European sojourn? Or Motherwell for that matter?

FFS, I cant even get my wife to agree for me to take the wean to Parkhead next week, what chance have i got if we're playing in a war zone?

My only worry now is we get the blue bigots at home when they could win the league   😝

My answer to that, would be for saints fans to buy any empty seat to avoid them the chance of being in our end of the ground. 

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

FFS, I cant even get my wife to agree for me to take the wean to Parkhead next week, what chance have i got if we're playing in a war zone?

A wife that stops you going to Parkhead sounds like a keeper to me!

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

IF it happens, goes without saying a draw in Wales or Norn Iron would be cheap as chips compared to some far flung corner of Europe, nearer Asia than Ayrshire. However, there’s zero chance of drawing a team from a place seven time zones behind us that resembles a war zone, as Morton haven’t qualified for Europe.

Boom! Boom!

1 minute ago, tam the bud said:

Yawn 

That's a funny way to write, "You know, Ric, I wasn't aware that was part of the language"... ;)

Just now, pozbaird said:

However, there’s zero chance of drawing a team from a place seven time zones behind us that resembles a war zone, as Morton haven’t qualified for Europe.

45vja7.jpg

11 hours ago, Ric said:

We did years ago when we got Russia but prize money has since been adjusted and there's also cash for expenses. Quite why they feel the need to separate these I've no idea but there you go...I've forgotten the details so you'd need to Google it but while you might not make an absolute fortune out of an early exit, you certainly won't be in the red either.

The biggest 'danger' is rather a giant f**k up completely sets the tone for the season. If you're anything like us (and I suspect others from recent results), you have half a squad as you don't settle that till August and you're probably coming off the sofa against a side who are match sharp. We deserve all the slagging we get for Sligo of course but if we'd played them at the reverse time of late February or early March we'd have absolutely slaughtered them. Ho hum.

Anyway, hope you make it and enjoy it for what it is.

12 hours ago, Ric said:

Steve Brown moaned we lost money when we had to play a team from Belarus. Chartering flights amd fast tracking visas the cost.

I don't think we'd have lost money on our last European season though. Away trips to Turkey/Austria wouldn't have cost that much, and then we had ~9000 home crowds for both Galatasaray and LASK.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

~9000 home crowds for both Galatasaray and LASK.

This is the dream for me really, get through a round or two and draw a good side, Galatasaray away must've class. I think the chances or getting to the groups finishing 5th (or even 4th) is almost nil, so just hope we can get a good trip.

All that said, finishing 5th isn't a certainty, we're not in good form and didn't do well after the split last year.