The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

This is the dream for me really, get through a round or two and draw a good side, Galatasaray away must've class.

Due to Covid, UEFA banned away supporters. Just 1 Saints fan was at the away game, and no Galatasaray fans were at the home tie.

Genuinely devastated by it all.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Due to Covid, UEFA banned away supporters. Just 1 Saints fan was at the away game, and no Galatasaray fans were at the home tie.

Genuinely devastated by it all.

Ah yeah, I remember now you say. That's a sore one.

I was thinking yesterday, whilst it was great that the ground was sold out, we do have a fair few season ticket holders that, for whatever reason, can't attend each week. I'm not knocking these guys, they put their money in each season, probably knowing they won't get the full value, and I know plenty of them won't even live in Scotland anymore, but I wonder if it would be worth the club trying to set up some kind of exchange, or resale for these tickets, especially with everything being digital now? They have a list of all the season ticket holders, could it be as easy as signing in, marking yourself as "not going" and that releases the ticket for someone else? Not sure it's as easy as that, but might be worth a look, especially as we have one of the smaller grounds.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

I was thinking yesterday, whilst it was great that the ground was sold out, we do have a fair few season ticket holders that, for whatever reason, can't attend each week. I'm not knocking these guys, they put their money in each season, probably knowing they won't get the full value, and I know plenty of them won't even live in Scotland anymore, but I wonder if it would be worth the club trying to set up some kind of exchange, or resale for these tickets, especially with everything being digital now? They have a list of all the season ticket holders, could it be as easy as signing in, marking yourself as "not going" and that releases the ticket for someone else? Not sure it's as easy as that, but might be worth a look, especially as we have one of the smaller grounds.

It's pretty standard these days, definitely worth it as my son and I fall firmly into the category you describe and it does seem a waste of a seat when we cant make it.

22 minutes ago, GAD said:

This is how I’ve got good tickets for NFL games in America, at games where demand was high too, attractive fixtures. NFL fan ticket exchange, or something it’s called.

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

This is how I’ve got good tickets for NFL games in America, at games where demand was high too, attractive fixtures. NFL fan ticket exchange, or something it’s called.

Likewise football in Europe. Had tickets in Spain and Italy via club official ST resale platforms.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

This is the dream for me really, get through a round or two and draw a good side, Galatasaray away must've class. I think the chances or getting to the groups finishing 5th (or even 4th) is almost nil, so just hope we can get a good trip.

All that said, finishing 5th isn't a certainty, we're not in good form and didn't do well after the split last year.

That's one place I would not go their fans have a bad reputation. But first we have the small matter of qualification first. Killie are flying they are a definite Europe bound. 

3 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

That's one place I would not go their fans have a bad reputation. But first we have the small matter of qualification first. Killie are flying they are a definite Europe bound. 

One of my mates is a green bigot fan who has been to see them v Galatasary a couple of times.

He really enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

That's a good idea the lad next to me lives in New York he can't make many games. I took a wee part time job in the local hospital I get every third weekend off which does not guarantee home games however that will change next season when I officially retire 🙂

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

One of my mates is a green bigot fan who has been to see them v Galatasary a couple of times.

He really enjoyed it.

That's good to hear passport is at the ready . 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Likewise football in Europe. Had tickets in Spain and Italy via club official ST resale platforms.

I’ve often thought, when you see on TV a ton of Koreans down the front at Spurs, or groups of Asian fans at places like Anfield and Old Trafford - usually visible in the good seats down the front too - they must be football tourists who got seats through similar schemes. I know in the USA, with NFL season tickets being expensive, fans put them up for resale at a certain fixture, even if they could attend. Folk like me, NFL football tourists, away fans, and those who either can’t afford, or can’t get full STs, buy them. The ST holder will then recoup a fairly large amount for one game, helping offset the cost of their ST. A similar scheme could work here, but in reality, the amount of games where it would actually be of massive benefit at the SMiSA is very limited. Benefit to home fans or lapsed SMFC fans that is. Most games don’t sell out. Goes without saying, there would be a danger of resale ST seats going to uglies fans in any possible upcoming post-split important title game for them. Again though, only a ‘problem’ recently, as we haven’t been Top 6 regulars*

*Until now. Box Office Buds. 😛

I take it from Robinson's post match interview and Langfield's comments on Twitter that some folk have been having a go at the team again? 

I accept our recent form isn't great, but we've made it into the top six with room to spare - if I've done my maths right, it turns it Olusanya's goal against Aberdeen was what ended up putting us on enough points to secure our spot. Over the course of the season we fully deserve our place, even if we have stuttered a bit lately, and back to back top half finishes is a remarkable achievement after so long of not making it. Robinson has done a fantastic job over the past two years and the off the park work to improv the atmosphere and increase the attendances is also excellent.

Not saying folk can't be unhappy with the recent results, but the replies you see on club posts after some of our latest results are laughable and everyone - including the players and management (and me!) - would be as well ignoring them rather than giving them any credit. If we were just scraping over the line to stay in the league like when Gus shitfested us to safety seem to be the height of our ambitions, I'd understand it a bit more.

Last year we very much bottled our final pre-split game against Kilmarnock but yesterday we were up against the third top team in horrendous conditions and probably should have got a point. The recent form has probably screwed our chances of fourth - especially as we're incapable of beating Kilmarnock and they seem to be quite handy against the Old Firm - but fifth is very much up for grabs.

Last season, making the top six after so long and the previous near misses was the achievement and we seemed to be on the beach after the split. Don't see that being the case this time around.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I’ve often thought, when you see on TV a ton of Koreans down the front at Spurs, or groups of Asian fans at places like Anfield and Old Trafford - usually visible in the good seats down the front too - they must be football tourists who got seats through similar schemes.

Relatively sure EPL clubs keep a section of their stadium aside for groups who have come from abroad, and you can buy them via websites as part of a holiday package.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Relatively sure EPL clubs keep a section of their stadium aside for groups who have come from abroad, and you can buy them via websites as part of a holiday package.

Yeah, in fact, some EPL clubs are now revoking season tickets from holders who don't go often enough to free up more space for tourists. Hell of a league.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I take it from Robinson's post match interview and Langfield's comments on Twitter that some folk have been having a go at the team again? 

I accept our recent form isn't great, but we've made it into the top six with room to spare - if I've done my maths right, it turns it Olusanya's goal against Aberdeen was what ended up putting us on enough points to secure our spot. Over the course of the season we fully deserve our place, even if we have stuttered a bit lately, and back to back top half finishes is a remarkable achievement after so long of not making it. Robinson has done a fantastic job over the past two years and the off the park work to improv the atmosphere and increase the attendances is also excellent.

Not saying folk can't be unhappy with the recent results, but the replies you see on club posts after some of our latest results are laughable and everyone - including the players and management (and me!) - would be as well ignoring them rather than giving them any credit. If we were just scraping over the line to stay in the league like when Gus shitfested us to safety seem to be the height of our ambitions, I'd understand it a bit more.

Last year we very much bottled our final pre-split game against Kilmarnock but yesterday we were up against the third top team in horrendous conditions and probably should have got a point. The recent form has probably screwed our chances of fourth - especially as we're incapable of beating Kilmarnock and they seem to be quite handy against the Old Firm - but fifth is very much up for grabs.

Last season, making the top six after so long and the previous near misses was the achievement and we seemed to be on the beach after the split. Don't see that being the case this time around.

Our recent form hasn't even been that bad. Last 6 or last 10 matches both are still comfortably top six form. Last 4 we've played Aberdeen, Hearts, Killie and Well, the two best teams in the league outside the OF and one of the most in form and taken 4 points, most of the doomsayers were predicting 0.

The problem is of course, that Robbo has done a brilliant job and is now probably our most successful manager since the 80s. Now despite what they say, a lot of people wouldn't actually "love to be proved wrong" and they aren't happy at all about this. Therefore they have to blow every minor setback way out of proportion and can't enjoy any of the good times because 2 years ago they said he was Stubbs MK2 and won't just admit things changed.

Toyosi's goal yesterday. What a transformed guy he is... stronger and more clinical.

If he can improve at the same rate as this season he will be a big asset.

I really hope we kick on in the play-offs.

5 minutes ago, medals said:

Toyosi's goal yesterday. What a transformed guy he is... stronger and more clinical.

If he can improve at the same rate as this season he will be a big asset.

I really hope we kick on in the play-offs.

Play offs?

Agree about Olusanya, his goal yesterday was excellent. He's been a really important player for us this season, every single aspect of his game has improved.

I said on the match thread that there aren't many players in the league who'd have scored that. He out muscled and out ran the Hearts defence, then a very composed finish. He almost made it look easy.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

Play offs?

Agree about Olusanya, his goal yesterday was excellent. He's been a really important player for us this season, every single aspect of his game has improved.

I said on the match thread that there aren't many players in the league who'd have scored that. He out muscled and out ran the Hearts defence, then a very composed finish. He almost made it look easy.

He is the first forward we have had in years that if he gets a 1-on-1 with the keeper I'm reasonably confident he is going to score. One of the best in that situation we have had.

44 minutes ago, GAD said:

Our recent form hasn't even been that bad. Last 6 or last 10 matches both are still comfortably top six form. Last 4 we've played Aberdeen, Hearts, Killie and Well, the two best teams in the league outside the OF and one of the most in form and taken 4 points, most of the doomsayers were predicting 0.

The problem is of course, that Robbo has done a brilliant job and is now probably our most successful manager since the 80s. Now despite what they say, a lot of people wouldn't actually "love to be proved wrong" and they aren't happy at all about this. Therefore they have to blow every minor setback way out of proportion and can't enjoy any of the good times because 2 years ago they said he was Stubbs MK2 and won't just admit things changed.

There is a hard core within our support that seem openly hostile towards Robinson and are looking for any stick to beat him with. Yes a few decisions he makes frustrate me (he has hung Mcmenamin out to dry playing him on the right constantly imo) but his overall record is beyond anything else in generations. I have no idea why the haters seem to hate (possibly not being a "St Mirren" man is all I can think of which in this day and age is beyond laughable) but they certainly seem to seize on every minute thing they can.