The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Perhaps unpopular opinion here but i would not be pushing the boat out for Gogic.

He's consistent enough on the whole but he has had far too many enormous and costly brain farts and so many more that he's gotten away with. I'd rather we kept him but I wouldn't be pushing our budget to any extremes to do so.

Mental mate - Robinson moved him from midfield to defence and has built the side around him pretty much - I’d say it’s safe the manager would like to keep him. He’s achieved another top six finish and it seems we shouldn’t be rewarding the players ? I get it’s prob tight at times money wise but you can kiss goodbye to top six finishes if we are not able to give players a decent reward for their outstanding efforts. Not so long ago we were perennial bottom feeders 

Gogic can play in more than one position and carries a bit of a goal threat at the other end in set piece situations. He’s had a couple of mistakes and not-so-good games recently for sure, but if someone shows me who we could get to come in and ticks the ‘better than what we already have’ box, I’m up for listening.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

Mental mate - Robinson moved him from midfield to defence and has built the side around him pretty much - I’d say it’s safe the manager would like to keep him. He’s achieved another top six finish and it seems we shouldn’t be rewarding the players ? I get it’s prob tight at times money wise but you can kiss goodbye to top six finishes if we are not able to give players a decent reward for their outstanding efforts. Not so long ago we were perennial bottom feeders 

He never said anywhere we shouldn’t be rewarding players. He rightly suggested we shouldn’t going above and beyond for someone like Gogic. 

Between Robinson and Foyle they’ll have players identified to replace anyone who leaves - no idea why fans panic so much about players leaving considering how good the recruitment has been since Robinson came in.

I wonder if Robbo still has an interest in Jacob Bedeau who is now out of contract at Morecambe. There were some rumours that he may well have been one of the PCA signings the manager spoke about prior to the last window.

19 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I would be delighted to take Gogic at Kilmarnock if you guys don’t want him.

I am not Derek McInnes right enough. 

He would be a big improvement on Wright 

19 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Gogic is by far our best consistent performer. He is of a good age and we should do what it takes to keep him. 

Fully agree with what Gogic has brought to our team being significant, but O'Hara was our top performer last season and not had the best of seasons this year.

Big Joe was a stalwark but then we managed without him.

Folk were throwing tantrums when Carson was going etc etc.

I think Gogic adds energy and drives the team which adds to his footballing abilities but the decisions like who stays are not fan decisions.

The issue is we need to seek improvement and need to spend our wages budget wisely.

We seem to have been doing that very well, so there are reasons to be hopeful for next season too.

If we don't lose current management members.

3 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

The manager has built the team around Gogic let’s not start putting the guy down. Yes he’s had a couple of bad games but he’s been brilliant for us and without him I’d say we’d have lost a lot more - aggressive and fast he’s a success for sure 

Where did i put him down? I think for what its worth hes been one of our most solid players this season.Ithink you have misread me.

8 hours ago, FTOF said:

P.S. It's Martin Foyle.

Cheers 😛

I have family who are Port Vale fans so I went to see them when we visited. They had some great players like Andy Jones, Robbie Earle, Darren Beckford etc but Foyle was a goal machine.

6 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

You have clearly chosen to skim over the part where I said 'I would rather we kept him'.

As someone who is almost certainly already one of our highest paid players and someone who we've apparently already offered a deal to but is humming and hawwing over signing it, do we make him a daft offer to stay? I'd say nope. Whatever the offer is will likely be lucrative in terms of what we can offer so I would definitely not be pushing the boat out any further.

3 hours ago, SS77 said:

I love Gogic - I think he’s a great player for us and I’d much rather he stayed around than left but I’m in agreement with @djchapsticks - he’s not worth offering ridiculous money to keep.

This is exactly the boat I'm in. 

Somewhat predictably though, some folk appear to have not understood what I've said and decided it's me saying Gogic is shite and we ought to get rid. 

21 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Perhaps unpopular opinion here but i would not be pushing the boat out for Gogic.

He's consistent enough on the whole but he has had far too many enormous and costly brain farts and so many more that he's gotten away with. I'd rather we kept him but I wouldn't be pushing our budget to any extremes to do so.

" Brain Fart "  brilliant that made me laugh need to remember that one. 

4 hours ago, SS77 said:

I love Gogic - I think he’s a great player for us and I’d much rather he stayed around than left but I’m in agreement with @djchapsticks - he’s not worth offering ridiculous money to keep.

Depends on how much faith you have in finding the same, or better, for less.

Going for known quantities can be boring, and you sometimes end up under rating them as you see them so much you know their weaknesses, but be wary of changing too keenly.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Depends on how much faith you have in finding the same, or better, for less.

Going for known quantities can be boring, and you sometimes end up under rating them as you see them so much you know their weaknesses, but be wary of changing too keenly.

Agreed on this.

However, Gogic is already one of our highest paid players - we already burst the budget to sign him in the first place a couple of seasons ago and he's definitely been worth it. If we were to keep him on the same wage or a nominal increase would I be happy? Absolutely I would.

I definitely think there has to be an upper limit as to what we could and should offer, though. He's a good player at our level but I'm wary of us putting too much stock in one player.

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

This is exactly the boat I'm in. 

Somewhat predictably though, some folk appear to have not understood what I've said and decided it's me saying Gogic is shite and we ought to get rid. 

No but if you don’t offer the money he will go to a rival perhaps. I’d imagine that one of our proven top performers week in week out should be entitled to think with his efforts he deserves a decent deal

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

No but if you don’t offer the money he will go to a rival perhaps. I’d imagine that one of our proven top performers week in week out should be entitled to think with his efforts he deserves a decent deal

That's the point surely, he already has a decent deal. Every club at our level has to have a realistic ceiling to what they can offer and what they can afford to pay, if he is already at that limit then that's just life for a provincial club. Incidentally, I think he has been our Player of the Year and would love him to stay at the club. 

2 minutes ago, weebud said:

That's the point surely, he already has a decent deal. Every club at our level has to have a realistic ceiling to what they can offer and what they can afford to pay, if he is already at that limit then that's just life for a provincial club. Incidentally, I think he has been our Player of the Year and would love him to stay at the club. 

I think at the time when he signed for us, he had offers from clubs in Europe. I'm sure one day soon he would like to return to Cyprus and settle with his family.

6 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I think at the time when he signed for us, he had offers from clubs in Europe. I'm sure one day soon he would like to return to Cyprus and settle with his family.

He would go with nothing but my best wishes in that situation......