The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 hours ago, Molotov said:

I distinctly remember some Saints fans at the start of this season absolutely crucifying the manager for his choice of first team goalkeeper after the Carson “toys out the pram” debacle. 

For the life of me I just can’t remember which Saints fans were so vocal and having a major panic attack about Robinson going through the whole season with a certain Zach Hemming. 🤔 

Trevor who?

Zach and Gogic will hopefully be considered for POTY awards given their consistent performances throughout the whole season. 

If both leave our club at the end of the season we should wish them all the best as they have been vital to our league success so far.

Sure both have made errors that have led to goals but they have also stopped many attacks successfully. 

Hemming has been fine but it’s still a position I’d be looking to improve. No way should he be considered for POTY IMO.

Agreed on Hemming, he’s been fine but nothing special. Recently, he’s been a disaster waiting to happen at corners flying out clattering into anyone in hope of a foul.

He’s done a job but I wouldn't consider him long term, even if we could afford it, and definitely can improve on him. Nowhere near player of the season, Gogic and Kiltie are the front runners IMO. I would probably plump for Kiltie at that, I think he’s been great this season.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

European regular, double winning, St Johnstone, who have an award winning side business that's recognised at UK level at events that attract snobs and over 10 acres of land to play with?

How long are you going to bang on about winning those 2 Covid cups??

It’s beginning to take on England 1966 proportions. 🤣

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

Hemming has been fine but it’s still a position I’d be looking to improve. No way should he be considered for POTY IMO.

I think Zach and the defence/team have around 10 clean sheets in league so far. 

Given our budgetary constraints we might struggle to secure a better replacement. 

I think this season there are a number of players who should be considered which is better than one player going home with all the fans awards.

Zach certainly made some terrific saves at key moments in our early season form which enabled us to stay in top 6 all season with vital wins. 

Very interested to know who in your opinion should be considered for POTY? 

I think it’s an area of the team that we have been very fortunate with in recent seasons. 

Had Zach been an ever present in league and cup? Can’t remember him not playing.

Hopefully he won’t throw his toys out the pram if big Peter is given a game if we hit “dead rubber” in last match of season.

14 hours ago, Molotov said:

I distinctly remember some Saints fans at the start of this season absolutely crucifying the manager for his choice of first team goalkeeper after the Carson “toys out the pram” debacle. 

For the life of me I just can’t remember which Saints fans were so vocal and having a major panic attack about Robinson going through the whole season with a certain Zach Hemming. 🤔

Come on, just name me, because it is clear that's who you mean...

I was absolutely right to highlight how bad Hemming's previous season was, simply because it was horrendously bad; a mix of poor performances, injury and personal issues leading to him being dropped. In fact it would be crazy not to mention that, because the reverse is absolutely true; if he had had a great season it would have been touted in every post about him. "Sauce for the goose..", and all that

What I didn't do, though, is have a running commentary on his performances. He has been at fault several times, but I've not specifically called him out about it, and I have praised him when he has been a standout. Has Hemming performed much (much) better than the previous season? Yes, he has, and I have been quick to acknowledge that.

Would I like to see him brought in permanently? Sure, I think he's proven himself. Something he didn't do last season with Killie.

As for Gogic, the lad is 30 (well.. he will be tomorrow!), and is probably looking at his last big pay packet. He is an international regular and has just helped get his team into a league position they haven't been in in decades. He has to be looking around thinking that he can get a little more cash in perhaps a higher profile league.

Would I "push the boat" out for him? No idea, because I have no visibility over whom Robinson may think of replacing him with and what they would cost. Would I like to see us put money towards his renewal that would weaken other areas of our team? Obviously not. If we consider Gogic as a defender who can cover midfield (rather than the reverse) I guess we need to look at who we'll have there next season.

Edited by Ric

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Was there not a stat that Hemmings had 10 clean sheets?
Sure he’s had mistakes but let’s not forget his impact to the club throughout the whole season.

Hemming overall has been good. At times he's looked poor but you can say that about others also. e.g. Gogic when he floundered a few times.

Gogic POTY for me though by a decent margin.

Tanser started so well and Kiltie is consistent almost always.

Fraser likewise has been consistent apart from 1 or 2 mistakes. I think he does the boring stuff really well though.

CBM possibly the best consistent performer in the midfield has been decent too.

The big deal is we have a fair few good players already signed for our foray into Europe. 

Let's just make it happen and bring in good reinforcements.

19 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I think Zach and the defence/team have around 10 clean sheets in league so far. 

Given our budgetary constraints we might struggle to secure a better replacement. 

I think this season there are a number of players who should be considered which is better than one player going home with all the fans awards.

Zach certainly made some terrific saves at key moments in our early season form which enabled us to stay in top 6 all season with vital wins. 

Very interested to know who in your opinion should be considered for POTY? 

I think it’s an area of the team that we have been very fortunate with in recent seasons. 

Had Zach been an ever present in league and cup? Can’t remember him not playing.

Hopefully he won’t throw his toys out the pram if big Peter is given a game if we hit “dead rubber” in last match of season.

Gogic, Tanser, Kiltie and even Taylor would be ahead of Zach for me.

Like I said - he’s been mostly good but we can definitely do better.

48 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Gogic, Tanser, Kiltie and even Taylor would be ahead of Zach for me.

Like I said - he’s been mostly good but we can definitely do better.

Agreed on the first three but Taylor hasn't been out the team for full post winter break until Motherwell.

If he'd stayed in the side and performing to level he was, I'd agree that he'd be my leading shout for POTY but it's hard to put him in contention when he's missed a third of the season.

11 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I remember it well.

I was just a wean and went to games with my mum as my dad didnt like football. For years after that game, she kept on asking me how Alan Logan was getting on, even 20 years later! I dont think she understood how long a football career usually lasted. I thought Logan at the time would go onto have a better career than he did though.

Edited by Hendo

3 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Agreed on Hemming, he’s been fine but nothing special. Recently, he’s been a disaster waiting to happen at corners flying out clattering into anyone in hope of a foul.

He’s done a job but I wouldn't consider him long term, even if we could afford it, and definitely can improve on him. Nowhere near player of the season, Gogic and Kiltie are the front runners IMO. I would probably plump for Kiltie at that, I think he’s been great this season.

Has he not had something like 15/16 clean sheets? Thats a decent return for a goalkeeper and the season isnt finished yet.

Hemming has been more than decent for us and a upgrade on Carson. 

As for our POTY, Gogic should win. His commitment and drive has helped massively to secure us to 2 top 6 finishes. 

On 07/04/2024 at 15:16, Billy Jean King said:

He is the first forward we have had in years that if he gets a 1-on-1 with the keeper I'm reasonably confident he is going to score. One of the best in that situation we have had.

Absolutely!

Miles better than, for example, that guy Olusanya we singed in 2022.

Whatever happened to him?

(All joking aside, incredible work from both the coaching staff and the player himself to make this transformation!)

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

How long are you going to bang on about winning those 2 Covid cups??

It’s beginning to take on England 1966 proportions. 🤣

Until someone else manages it.

On 09/04/2024 at 20:04, Road Dogg said:

Ayunga's recently signed a new deal and Mandron is our top scorer with double figures but aye, they'll go out on loan. 👍

We have to start Mbappe every week, with Haaland and/or Kane as his partner.

So I think there’ll be limited game time for Ayunga and Mandron, so makes sense for one or both to go out on loan…. To Barcelona  probably.

Be very surprised if Hemming doesn't join us on a permanent deal in the Summer.

Appreciate he's under contract at Middlesbrough but he's well down the pecking order there, and I can't imagine they will be very hard to deal with.

Zach absolutely loves it up here, and he's just bought a house in Houston so I guess whether it's sooner or later he sees his future as being up here.

5 minutes ago, Div said:

Be very surprised if Hemming doesn't join us on a permanent deal in the Summer.

Appreciate he's under contract at Middlesbrough but he's well down the pecking order there, and I can't imagine they will be very hard to deal with.

Zach absolutely loves it up here, and he's just bought a house in Houston so I guess whether it's sooner or later he sees his future as being up here.

They'll want a 6 figure fee.