The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but does anyone know why Strain missed the Hearts game? And is he likely to play against Celtic? Another injury?

52 minutes ago, ds10 said:

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but does anyone know why Strain missed the Hearts game? And is he likely to play against Celtic? Another injury?

He was blowing out his arse after 20 minutes against Motherwell, which is a new record for him. Not sure I’d be rushing him back, unless Flynn is the alternative option at right back, given the importance of next few games. Certainly not against Maeda at Parkhead.

No idea if he is injured again but I wouldn’t count on him again for the remainder of the season. As good as he is he’s no use if blowing for the majority of the game. 

55 minutes ago, ds10 said:

Robinson said in his Friday interview last week that Strain was still well off getting 90 minutes, but had picked up a wee knock anyway midweek. I suspect that’s why he didn’t feature in the matchday squad. 
I wouldn’t be totally against him missing out again on Saturday if it meant him coming back all the stronger for the first post split game two weeks later. 

With Motherwell and possibly St.J seemingly just about to have a degree of investment to boost their coffers and Livingston about to depart the top league, it would appear that we will be the only club in the league that don't have a rich benefactor. I'm assuming Dundee United will come up and that whoever is in the play offs will see off championship opposition.

Looks like it's going to be even more difficult next season to compete financially with our competition.

51 minutes ago, FTOF said:

With Motherwell and possibly St.J seemingly just about to have a degree of investment to boost their coffers and Livingston about to depart the top league, it would appear that we will be the only club in the league that don't have a rich benefactor. I'm assuming Dundee United will come up and that whoever is in the play offs will see off championship opposition.

Looks like it's going to be even more difficult next season to compete financially with our competition.

Dundee have just posted massive losses for the second year in a row, i'd be amazed if anyone with any real wealth is interested in St Johnstone, Motherwell might get a netflix documentary but not much else, while Hibs "investment" will see them being forced to play loanees from bigger clubs who arent very good. As for Dundee United, they will need fo invest in an entirely new squad to avoid going straight back down.

Meanwhile, we are regularly getting crowds of 7000 plus. I think we'll be absolutely fine.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I'd be amazed if anyone with any real wealth is interested in St Johnstone.

Why?

Just now, pozbaird said:

Off the radar wealth, hopefully.

Latest rumour I've heard is they're spending £20m on buying the club and upgrading McDiarmid, and the suites/function rooms (which have been voted amongst the best football related business in the UK multiple times) will be turned into a proper business which is where they plan to get something back. The football side will be kept along similar lines as it has been without the huge cuts we had this season.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Because its St Johnstone?

European regular, double winning, St Johnstone, who have an award winning side business that's recognised at UK level at events that attract snobs and over 10 acres of land to play with?

Your average prospective football owner wants a story to fall in love with and a vision of how to make money. To those who don't look deep into history or care if you've got 2000 fans or 3000, we'll be a good option.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Latest rumour I've heard is they're spending £20m on buying the club and upgrading McDiarmid, and the suites/function rooms (which have been voted amongst the best football related business in the UK multiple times) will be turned into a proper business which is where they plan to get something back. The football side will be kept along similar lines as it has been without the huge cuts we had this season.

European regular, double winning, St Johnstone, who have an award winning side business that's recognised at UK level at events that attract snobs and over 10 acres of land to play with?

Your average prospective football owner wants a story to fall in love with and a vision of how to make money. To those who don't look deep into history or care if you've got 2000 fans or 3000, we'll be a good option.

Nice purvey at McDiamind. I’ve been to one. Sausage rolls were braw’.

On 10/04/2024 at 14:53, SS77 said:

Between Robinson and Foyle they’ll have players identified to replace anyone who leaves - no idea why fans panic so much about players leaving considering how good the recruitment has been since Robinson came in.

I distinctly remember some Saints fans at the start of this season absolutely crucifying the manager for his choice of first team goalkeeper after the Carson “toys out the pram” debacle. 

For the life of me I just can’t remember which Saints fans were so vocal and having a major panic attack about Robinson going through the whole season with a certain Zach Hemming. 🤔 

Trevor who?

Zach and Gogic will hopefully be considered for POTY awards given their consistent performances throughout the whole season. 

If both leave our club at the end of the season we should wish them all the best as they have been vital to our league success so far.

Sure both have made errors that have led to goals but they have also stopped many attacks successfully. 

@SS77 btw mate I’m not having a dig just trying to put things into perspective that we all can look back on things we say or write with some regret. 
Let’s just enjoy these good times while they last. I certainly don’t miss the arse clenching relegation bottom 6 tussles. 

Although it perhaps would have been nice to help relegate Aberdeen or St Johnstone had we hit upper half of bottom 6.
COYS

15 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nice purvey at McDiamind. I’ve been to one. Sausage rolls were braw’.

Why don’t St Mirren build a crematorium in the spare land across from the ground?

Use the stadium hospitality all week to host post cremation parties!

Use the heat from the cremation 🔥 to supply hot water for the pitch undersoil heating and the hot water taps in the lavvies in the Main, West and the family stand. 

Could the ash be used as fertiliser for the pitch?

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Why don’t St Mirren build a crematorium in the spare land across from the ground?

Use the stadium hospitality all week to host post cremation parties!

Use the heat from the cremation 🔥 to supply hot water for the pitch undersoil heating and the hot water taps in the lavvies in the Main, West and the family stand. 

Could the ash be used as fertiliser for the pitch?

Pie Sports to do the stadium catering, and Die Sports to do the purveys. A sure fire winner.

5 hours ago, FTOF said:

The last time St. Mirren tried to keep up with other top flight clubs was in the late 80s early 90s with absolute devastating consequences that took decades to recover from. We nearly lost our football club. We had to sell Love St to survive. 
Fcuk going through that again thank you very much. 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Unless your lucky enough to have fans as owners like we have in Bowie and McLeish

Sticking their hands in their pockets in the summer to fund the new main stand aircon system, new LED floodlights and the new fanzone behind the Moffat stand which involves extensive remodelling of that area.

While Billy Bowie Special Projects are still waiting on the final planning permission for the new training ground to get the ball rolling and eventually back to grass. 

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Unless your lucky enough to have fans as owners like we have in Bowie and McLeish

Sticking their hands in their pockets in the summer to fund the new main stand aircon system, new LED floodlights and the new fanzone behind the Moffat stand which involves extensive remodelling of that area.

While Billy Bowie Special Projects are still waiting on the final planning permission for the new training ground to get the ball rolling and eventually back to grass. 

Literally none of that has anything to do with my post, but Killie fans got to humblebrag about everything when things are going well I suppose 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Literally none of that has anything to do with my post, but Killie fans got to humblebrag about everything when things are going well I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Nothing to do with bragging, you said owners have a vision of making money, I'm pointing out thats not always true in our case.

9 hours ago, Molotov said:

The last time St. Mirren tried to keep up with other top flight clubs was in the late 80s early 90s with absolute devastating consequences that took decades to recover from. We nearly lost our football club. We had to sell Love St to survive. 
Fcuk going through that again thank you very much. 

I suppose there was an element of trying to keep up with the opposition, but we weren't spending money we didn't have as we had amassed significant funds ourselves through prudent financial practice. There was no rich benefactor involved, which is very different from the situation I'm referring to today.

For the majority of the 80's ourselves and Dundee United were the two best financially run teams in the league by a mile. It was why we could afford to outbid the green bigots for the likes of Frank McDougall.

I know it seems unlikely when you look at our financial history since then, but I knew a senior SFA official at the time, which is where the information came from. 

Simply put we grossly mismanaged money we actually had and ended up potless.

The final nail in the coffin was paying the likes of Archibald and Victor thousands of pounds per game. 

After that the debt spiralled.

However, you are correct. I wouldn't want our club ,in its current form, to start chasing dreams, simply because a rich individual fancies playing a less than virtual game of champ manager (or whatever the latest incarnation is called these days!).

Edited by FTOF