The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It shouldn't be. You shouldve been pushing for 4th after the start you had, rather than just accepting you might not even make Europe.

Correct. But we’ve just been inconsistent in recent months - results away recently at Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Livingston really crushed that drive towards 4th place.

Dundee edging closer to us by a point was a price worth paying for the point and laugh value derived from their result against the hapless Rainjurs.

As others have already said, this has been a successful season by any realistic measure. Anyone who doesn't think this has a very short memory or is as deluded as P. Clement Esq.

32 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Dundee edging closer to us by a point was a price worth paying for the point and laugh value derived from their result against the hapless Rainjurs.

As others have already said, this has been a successful season by any realistic measure. Anyone who doesn't think this has a very short memory or is as deluded as P. Clement Esq.

It would be great and not impossible to pick something up in the first home game leading into the game at Dens. 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Who's accepting that?

Your shitebag fans proclaiming that an absolutely worthless (to fans) 6th place finish would be make it a "great season".

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your shitebag fans proclaiming that an absolutely worthless (to fans) 6th place finish would be make it a "great season".

Semantics possibly, but I said it's been a "good" rather than "great" season.

Also, it's clearly not worthless to us as fans if we think that's been a good season.

And ultimately, whether we are happy or raging, will make no impact on whether or not we pick up enough points to finish 5th.

Seems strange that you're so vexed about St Mirren fans thinking 6th is a decent season.

12 hours ago, pozbaird said:

We have them at home post-split. If Killie can garner multiple points off Celtic, Ross County can beat Sevco while scoring three, and Dundee can get a point off Sevco, then we should be looking to get at least a point off that shite at home. If we can’t, then we frankly don’t deserve anything better than sixth.

Rangers are still clearly much better than the other 10 teams in the country. It’s crazy to suggest that we don’t deserve 5th place if we can’t get points from them.

15 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Hats off to Tony Docherty for dropping their keeper against Sevco tonight.

That’s Comedy Gold/Karma/Manager’s Union.

The bold Trev has probably already left the ground. 

He didn’t  , Carson’s been injured for weeks .

Would have been nice though if he had 😎

Edited by callum-g

42 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Rangers are still clearly much better than the other 10 teams in the country. It’s crazy to suggest that we don’t deserve 5th place if we can’t get points from them.

I guess if other teams have been able to take points off Rangers (and Celtic) and we haven't, then we can't complain too much if they finish above us.

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I guess if other teams have been able to take points off Rangers (and Celtic) and we haven't, then we can't complain too much if they finish above us.

Not at all but it’s the results against the other 10 teams that have us sitting in 5th though. The original post suggesting that we don’t deserve to finish there if we can’t get anything off the 2 best teams in the country is mental.

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

I should have added a smiley face icon. I was suggesting the Sevco are pish, and we deserve nothing if we can’t get points off that rabble too. Didn’t really think that post through. 😀

The draw at Dens last night doesn't change all THAT much.

By the time we are next in league action, we'll know the outcome of Dundee's visit to Parkhead and if that results in a defeat for them, then we're going up against Rangers knowing that a (lets be honest, long overdue at this point) positive result against them will put us in a massively strong position for going up to Dundee the following week.

I'm confident that we'll pull a couple of results out of the bag. The week off has probably come at a decent time for us after losing a few players to injury at Parkhead last weekend and we'll hopefully be at 100% for the run in.

I'll add on though that whilst I understand the concept of 'back to back top six finishes is success', it's not a notion I share.

Context is everything.

If we'd been in a St. Johnstone position and milling about 8-11th all season, pulling off a massive run and sneaking into 6th, I'd definitely call it a successful season. However, we've occupied one of the top 5 places since week 1. In my head, I had 4th as a definite probable goal and something that we should have been pushing towards but always felt that 5th - if it came with European football - would also be a success for us given most of us haven't actually seen the club play European football.

If we drop into 6th and stay there after spending 33 out of the first 33 weeks in a European spot, for me at least, it will be a massive boot in the stones and the season ultimately will not have been a successful one in my opinion, particularly with two of the teams ahead of us being clubs that were promoted after we were.

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

By the time we are next in league action, we'll know the outcome of Dundee's visit to Parkhead and if that results in a defeat for them, then we're going up against Rangers knowing that a (lets be honest, long overdue at this point) positive result against them will put us in a massively strong position for going up to Dundee the following week.

I'm confident that we'll pull a couple of results out of the bag. The week off has probably come at a decent time for us after losing a few players to injury at Parkhead last weekend and we'll hopefully be at 100% for the run in.

I disagree, for once I was hoping for not just a Newco victory, but a pumping for Dundee. 3 points and a big goal difference is VERY different from where we are now, going into the split.
l was too young to go to Europe, the last time we qualified, and we never know when/if the chance will come about again. So to me it’s a big deal. My arse is making buttons, but I’m well used to it being a Buddie. At least it’s not because I’m worried about relegation. 

When I first started supporting us, we were in the top 6 all the time. To me, this simply feels like a "return to the norm" rather than a successful season.

40 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Are Celtic not playing Dundee at Dens with a 3pm kick-off on the Sunday while we play Rangers at 12.30 the same day?

10 minutes ago, Rod1877 said:

Are Celtic not playing Dundee at Dens with a 3pm kick-off on the Sunday while we play Rangers at 12.30 the same day?

They are, I saw a 3pm KO and Parkhead and just took for granted it was the Saturday.

46 minutes ago, Ric said:

When I first started supporting us, we were in the top 6 all the time. To me, this simply feels like a "return to the norm" rather than a successful season.

Aye, just a 40-year blip, which followed a 30-year blip. 🤣

The norm. 🤣

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye, just a 40-year blip, which followed a 30-year blip. 🤣

The norm. 🤣

"When I first started supporting us" it was "the norm", hence seeing us at that position again is like "a return to the norm".

It's not hard to understand, bud, even for you... ;)

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll add on though that whilst I understand the concept of 'back to back top six finishes is success', it's not a notion I share.

Context is everything.

If we'd been in a St. Johnstone position and milling about 8-11th all season, pulling off a massive run and sneaking into 6th, I'd definitely call it a successful season. However, we've occupied one of the top 5 places since week 1. In my head, I had 4th as a definite probable goal and something that we should have been pushing towards but always felt that 5th - if it came with European football - would also be a success for us given most of us haven't actually seen the club play European football.

If we drop into 6th and stay there after spending 33 out of the first 33 weeks in a European spot, for me at least, it will be a massive boot in the stones and the season ultimately will not have been a successful one in my opinion, particularly with two of the teams ahead of us being clubs that were promoted after we were.

I think that's fair.

Whilst finishing top six is a good achievement there is still a sense of what might have been given that we've chucked away a huge number of points that we really shouldn't have.

We've lost more points to Livingston than any other team in the division this season, failed to win in Dingwall and lost at McDiarmid Park against a very poor St.Johnstone side.

No divine right to win any game but it's throwing away points like that (and of course the awful record against Killie) which has ultimately cost us a challenge for 4th.

If we still get 5th and qualify for Europe it will definitely be a successful season but if we come up short again and finish 6th it's hard to be overjoyed.

Suppose that says a lot for how far we've come but there's always the niggle that two of the bigger clubs being shit in the same season probably won't happen again for a good while anyway.