The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

We're currently between 1/25 and 1/100 with bookies to finish top 6.

To miss out, we would need -

to lose both our games;

Hibs to win both their games;

Dundee to take 5 points from 3 games, one of which is against Rangers.

I really cant see all of those things happening. We should be fine.

You’re giving us a goal difference advantage on both there, which is very optimistic given our record of pumping a at Parkhead. We could draw to hearts annd lose to Celtic and finish below both of them.

5 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Looking at the remaining pre split fixtures, there’s now a more than reasonably chance we will blow top 6.

No there isn't.

We are 1/80 at this point on Bet365 to finish top six for a reason.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Didn't catch all of the match yesterday.

What was Bolton subbed for?

Was it his hand injury recurring?

No. It looked it at first like it might have been his hand but appeared to have been a hamstring or quad issue from what I could see.

He'll be a big miss if hes out for a period but Taylor proved again in his 70 or so mins why he is more than capable to be a first choice.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

No there isn't.

We are 1/80 at this point on Bet365 to finish top six for a reason.

I hope you are right. I guess where the bookies are coming from is not so much looking at the 3 teams individual results that would be required, but more them happening collectively. 
Arguably the most likely of the 3 is us losing both our games. That could easily happen. 
Then looking at Hibs and Dundee, assuming Dundee lose to Rangers (please God no upsets there), they both have one game you would expect them to win and one tricky one. So the key games for me are Hibs away to Motherwell and Dundee away to Aberdeen. 

Either way, between yesterday, Hibs at Home and Dundee away, Motherwell will have had a big say in where we end up. 

We play 6 a side indoor at the MOBO facility on Inchinnan road ,Paisley 8pm on Mondays .

We are always happy to take new players - all ages ( current crop ranges from 20s to 60 somethings ) all levels of ability  ( but not too fast 😉)  If anyone would like to add their name to the list ,perhaps looking to get back into playing & helping to drink the kitty 🍻 just drop me a msg .

We started off primarily as a Buddies group although we are happy to accept anyone - we even have a Killie fan who turned up in his home strip after last weeks game and he wasn’t lynched 😂

as I said, if you fancy it, drop me a msg ⚽👍

Lifelong saint fan Brian Rush had sadly passed away. A min applause at 20mins on sat is hope for. 

I played darts many many years ago in the Tudor with him, and he was a gentleman in every way. 

I wish his family my deepest sympathy 😔

3 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Lifelong saint fan Brian Rush had sadly passed away. A min applause at 20mins on sat is hope for. 

I played darts many many years ago in the Tudor with him, and he was a gentleman in every way. 

I wish his family my deepest sympathy 😔

That’s a name I vaguely remember, Back in the 70’s before I moved to Inverness I played darts for the Athurlie Inns and the Tappit Hen (Brabloch) We may have crossed paths at some point, I also used to drink in the Tudor, had a flat at 6 Incle  Street ….

Hope the minutes applause goes ahead.

Condolences to Brian’s Family 

I grew up seeing us in the top 6 regularly. In fact, it was expected, so you can imagine the 20 odd years we yo-yo'd between the bottom of the premier and the championship was a bit of a wake up call. I understand why people are nervous about the top 6, and that includes players and staff - even if they don't admit it, but there shouldn't be this imaginary bar we need to jump. This side is more than capable of maintaining our top 6 standing and in Robinson we have a manager who not only managed it last season, but has a history with other Scottish teams getting to that position.

On 30/03/2024 at 20:59, Lex said:

With four games to go we just really needed two points to all but seal top six. Despite being ahead after 60 minutes against Killie and today, we’ve ended up with one point from those two games. Two fantastic opportunities to secure it and we’ve choked both, doesn’t bode well.

We still should probably do it. Hibs need to win both of their games and we need to get one point or less from our two. Sounds unrealistic, till you realise their last two games are St Johnstone and Motherwell and our last two are Hearts and Celtic. Dundee would also need to get st least four points from three games against Aberdeen, Rangers and Motherwell while we lose both ours. We are in a better position than both goal difference wise, but with Celtic away on the horizon that could quickly change. 
I just feel we really need to do it next week, either by Hibs dropping points or by us winning. The nightmare - and not unlikely - scenario is us going to Parkhead either needing a result or needing Motherwell to avoid defeat to Hibs. 

Alex Wright went through a successful period late sixties into 1970. Then it was late 70's to mid 80's for our next successful period. We are now going through another successful period long may it continue but history would suggest we are a yo-yo club. I remember attending games at Love Street with 1,200 going through the gates these were dark days thankfully not seen often. If Robinson keeps being successful a big fish will come along at some point and why every Saints fan should cherish these times. 

1 hour ago, medals said:

CBM extends his contract

Wasn't the extension already in his contract? I thought it was a club triggered year extension.

Either way, he's proven he has the talent, so this is all good.

2 hours ago, medals said:

CBM extends his contract

Meh.

Let's have some pre-contracts.................................

Edited by FTOF

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

Meh.

Let's have some pre-contracts.................................

There were folk claiming they knew who they were.

Spittal was 1, but Hearts bound 

Bedeau and Anderson were touted  I don't fancy the later option though.

And the Well keeper rumour drifted about.

i think 1 will be a keeper!

What about Murray from RC? I know we've got Scott but Murray scores and assists...

Go on let's throw some other names about

9 minutes ago, medals said:

There were folk claiming they knew who they were.

Spittal was 1, but Hearts bound 

Bedeau and Anderson were touted  I don't fancy the later option though.

And the Well keeper rumour drifted about.

i think 1 will be a keeper!

What about Murray from RC? I know we've got Scott but Murray scores and assists...

Go on let's throw some other names about

Given Scott has looked pish when he has played and now cant even get off the bench, do you think we might rescind the offer?

Just now, Torfason said:

I think Scott is low on confidence and will be a different player after a pre season. 

Hopefully, i dont think Robinson has made a bad signing yet so maybe he'll get the best out of him.

31 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Is there any actual evidence that these so called pre contracts even exist? 

It came from Robinson at the manager Q&A back in January after we'd signed James Scott.

Scott for my opinion came in looking overweight and low on confidence. I've learned now not to write off Robinson signings at first glance though given how many have come good with time and coaching.