The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

25 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Wasn't at the SMISA AGM but, reading the minutes, there was a lot of discussion about what to do with SMISA cash reserves (now at £420,000 and rising). An enviable position to be in....

There seems to be a bit of a push from the SMFC board to use some of it to help generate more money for the club rather than just having it sit there. Makes sense to be honest. Previously, £80,000 was loaned for hospitality rooms. No suggestions though as to what it could be used for.

I've always liked the idea of safe standing; the club and the W7 guys have done a great job in getting more young people through the gate. Maybe that would be the next step. Will require a bit of creative thinking what to do with the money anyway.

In other news, was confirmed that Hemming has been offered a contract. He's under contract with Middlesbrough so we must have agreed a fee.

That's a good idea. Though, I'm not actually convinced using the cash reserve is a good thing. 

One thing I did notice about the AGM minutes was the Kibble dispute appear to have gone away:

The first member to speak made a statement at first, saying that JI has joined Kibble’s PR support team and then asked to clarify if the £300,000 Kibble save St Mirren was cash. JI passed to AW to give a breakdown. AW responded that it is not pure cash and that the member asking knows this, it is through a number of resources put into the club such as the general manager. A whole range of stuff done at the club also saves us cash, AW cited the damage done to the dugouts due to weather being repaired by Kibble as an example. AW also mentioned Kibble providing financial and marketing assistance to the club. Kibble is the biggest customer in terms of putting money into the club from using its facilities as well as sponsoring the academy. AW stated there are many things Kibble contribute to the club that accumulate to at least £300,000. The member recognised this was a helpful response.

The same member then asked if Kibble still have a catering contract at the club. AW replied that they do and if they want to someone else the club would be paying at least what they pay Kibble if not more and it is a competitive offer that Kibble give to the club

I suppose it's good that someone's keeping a close eye on Kibble, but I did think all of this was behind us.

54 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

One thing I did notice about the AGM minutes was the Kibble dispute appear to have gone away:

I suppose it's good that someone's keeping a close eye on Kibble, but I did think all of this was behind us.

There's always a few individuals from the "Kibble baaaaad" camp  that like to stir things up.

Probably makes them feel relevant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cn0vvwllq0qo

Just when I think my hatred and anger at SEVCO couldn't get any more ingrained, they're 11 first team players down for their game against Dundee. I know this isn't their fault, and it's entirely irrational for me to blame them for this, but that's where we are... FUCKING ZOMBIE WANKERSS...!  

There is a genuine possibility that we may have to take something off of the Bhigots on the last game.  And makes Wednesday all the more important.  

FTOF..! 

10 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Just when I think my hatred and anger at SEVCO couldn't get any more ingrained, they're 11 first team players down for their game against Dundee. I know this isn't their fault, and it's entirely irrational for me to blame them for this, but that's where we are... FUCKING ZOMBIE WANKERSS...!  

There is a genuine possibility that we may have to take something off of the Bhigots on the last game.  And makes Wednesday all the more important.  

FTOF..! 

I think even with 11 players out, they should still have enough not to lose to Dundee. One of the 11 out is Bailey Rice, who i dont think has played for the first team yet.

32 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think even with 11 players out, they should still have enough not to lose to Dundee. One of the 11 out is Bailey Rice, who i dont think has played for the first team yet.

Agreed and we'll take something off the Hearts anyway!

I have to say that the boo brigade and Kibble detractors have quietened down at last. Interesting that the SMISA cash reserves are as high as they are. Club is as healthy on and off the park as it’s ever been in my lifetime. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

FTOF..! 

That's nowhere near 11 squad members basically. They have a squad of about 40 odds. It's nothing like the media are portraying this ie plucky wee Rangers soldiering on through crisis.

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

FTOF..! 

The worst thing for us is Fabio Silva is fit.

Flip this around, if we were in 6th, 5 points and 11 goals worse off, and needed to beat both Rangers and Kilmarnock, while relying on Dundee not getting a single point from their games against Hearts and Celtic (the former are definitely playing dead rubbers, while the latter could be), do you think the chat would be all about how we're guaranteed 5th?

Not at all, and while I've not checked their thread I can't imagine any Dundee fans are thinking they have a chance of overhauling us.

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Flip this around, if we were in 6th, 5 points and 11 goals worse off, and needed to beat both Rangers and Kilmarnock, while relying on Dundee not getting a single point from their games against Hearts and Celtic (the former are definitely playing dead rubbers, while the latter could be), do you think the chat would be all about how we're guaranteed 5th?

Not at all, and while I've not checked their thread I can't imagine any Dundee fans are thinking they have a chance of overhauling us.

If we were playing well but just not getting the rub of the green against you lot and Hearts, there'd be some unrealistic hope that it's still doable, but we've firmly been on our holidays these two games and been smashed and ragdolled like a team in a relegation battle. There's no chance we are getting 6 points out of 6 in our next two games. I expect 1, at best and I'm one of the more optimistic fans. As I say, we've checked out for the season.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

That's nowhere near 11 squad members basically. They have a squad of about 40 odds. It's nothing like the media are portraying this ie plucky wee Rangers soldiering on through crisis.

Indeed to class Rice as one of 11 1st team players is stretching credulity. 

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If we were playing well but just not getting the rub of the green against you lot and Hearts, there'd be some unrealistic hope that it's still doable, but we've firmly been on our holidays these two games and been smashed and ragdolled like a team in a relegation battle. There's no chance we are getting 6 points out of 6 in our next two games. I expect 1, at best and I'm one of the more optimistic fans. As I say, we've checked out for the season.

Obvs, it's still possible, but the post is less about Dundee, and more how all of us at 'provincial clubs' tend to think the worst will happen, even if the odds are against it.

Yeah unless something really weird happens we will have qualified for Europe by 10pm this evening. After seeing them up close at Dens last week I didn't think that Dundee team was capable of getting a post split point, never mind the six they then needed. They duly got humped by an on the beach Hearts team in their next game. 

The draw for the Europa League Conference second qualifying round is on the 19th of June. We will get a St Mirren v XorY winner of the first conference qualifying round tie. 

7 hours ago, medals said:

Mongomerie sacked... cue the "will we lose SR posts". 

Bit surprised really, guy needed time to change the squad he inherited.

That won't happen.

Hibs hilariously appointing Malky MacKay as sporting director means that any experienced gaffers thry are linked with such as McInnes, Robinson, Lennon, Alex Neil etc are essentially ruled out. Particularly as its being reported they're looking for a head coach rather than a manager (ie, not fully in charge of playing side of operations)