The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

People speculating on twitter that Magennis injury in the Dundee game is worse than initially thought. :unsure: Hope not, that would be a real blow. 

I'm hearing he's going for a scan to check for possible knee ligament damage. This is terrible news if true as he's going to be a very important player this season.

We needed a CM/DM before this news. Now we REALLY need one.
Alex Rae would sign Ryan Hardie...

I think defensively we look reasonably well covered. I didn't think that is a position we are in desperate need of. I think we are in need of a striker. If we can push the boat out and get a similar type to Loy that would be excellent.

While the squad isn't exactly filled with household names, we are relatively well covered across most areas. Magennis played wide right a lot, he offers a great option down the right as he has plenty of space to run with the ball. Through the middle might stifle his impact on the game.

I certainly wouldn't see him used as a defensive midfielder - that would be a complete waste.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

We needed a CM/DM before this news. Now we REALLY need one.

Alex Rae would sign Ryan Hardie...

Did Magennis not play outside right at our place last season? Thought he was brilliant out there (if it was him). Hope he's not too badly hurt and he manages to get back in time for the Morton game! 

Didn't make the match, but heard from several who were (on both sides) that Dundee players were putting in dangerous and reckless tackles.

If Magennis ends up missing games as a result of one of those tackles I can imagine the Saints management will be raging.

Heard the ref had no control over the game, and let far too much go - even for a friendly.

Didn't make the match, but heard from several who were (on both sides) that Dundee players were putting in dangerous and reckless tackles.
If Magennis ends up missing games as a result of one of those tackles I can imagine the Saints management will be raging.
Heard the ref had no control over the game, and let far too much go - even for a friendly.

St Mirren were giving as good as they got. Although our trialist CH was a bit more than reckless.

10 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Did Magennis not play outside right at our place last season? Thought he was brilliant out there (if it was him). Hope he's not too badly hurt and he manages to get back in time for the Morton game! 

Yeah, that's him, and he's great. Considered to be potentially the most talented of all our recent midfielders whose names begin with M (and he's signed on til 2020).

He was wide right last season, but mainly because Mallan was through the middle. Received wisdom was that Magennis would move into the middle alongside McGinn this term. Probably as part of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1.

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Yes that was Magennis, he's playing his more natural role in centre mid now that Stevie Mallan has gone. He's probably a far better all round player than Mallan. He's vital to our chances of doing anything this season.

48 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

St Mirren were giving as good as they got. Although our trialist CH was a bit more than reckless.

We were only giving as good towards the end. Stelios in particular was on verge of losing the place.