The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Ft 1-3.
Decent enough action. Plenty of chances created by ourselves and some excellent stuff by Morgan on the wing but a mixture of bad finishing and very good goalkeeping kept us at just the one. At the other end, Dundee had perhaps 4 or 5 chances and put 3 away. Two of which were absolute gifts. 
For their part, Dundee's trialist would have likely lasted about 25 minutes in a competitive environment for two textbook bookings. If he's not sent on his way by Dundee I'd be shocked indeed. 
Once again, I feel Ross Stewart should be our first choice keeper. 

I agree with all of that. We could have had 2 sent off in a normal game. We started pretty physically but to be fair at the end you lads were flying into some challenges fairly recklessly too. Made it an enjoyable game.

Bain struggles with crosses but he's an excellent shot stopper as you saw last night. Samson makes the odd blunder but I don't think he's as bad as some opposition fans make out.

First 20 minutes you guys looked excellent.

I thought our 2 wingers looked really strong physical specimens which is what we need as we have been getting bullied since we returned to the prem.

First visit to new St Mirren park. You wouldn't leave your spiritual home to move to a stadium like that in an ideal world but it's a nice ground, parking etc, I had a really good experience. Particularly liked the option of beans over the top of my pie.

Good luck to the Buddies, you're not such a bad set of c***s.

I agree with all of that. We could have had 2 sent off in a normal game. We started pretty physically but to be fair at the end you lads were flying into some challenges fairly recklessly too. Made it an enjoyable game.

Bain struggles with crosses but he's an excellent shot stopper as you saw last night. Samson makes the odd blunder but I don't think he's as bad as some opposition fans make out.

First 20 minutes you guys looked excellent.

I thought our 2 wingers looked really strong physical specimens which is what we need as we have been getting bullied since we returned to the prem.

First visit to new St Mirren park. You wouldn't leave your spiritual home to move to a stadium like that in an ideal world but it's a nice ground, parking etc, I had a really good experience. Particularly liked the option of beans over the top of my pie.

Good luck to the Buddies, you're not such a bad set of c***s.

Did the beans make your night?[emoji3]

Official Dundee site match review - 

Dundee opened their pre-season friendly campaign with a highly competitive 3-1 win over St Mirren in Paisley tonight. The match was a tighter affair than the scoreline suggests and the Championship side gave the Dark Blues a tough workout. Skipper Darren O’Dea scored twice from corners in the first half. When Marcus Haber added a third early in the second half a Dundee win looked certain. Although Gavin Reilly quickly pulled a goal back St Mirren couldn’t find the net again and an inexperienced Dark Blue defence held out despite some fierce pressure.

The Buddies created a few uncomfortable moments for Dundee in the early stages. St Mirren’s energetic running and quick passing forced a series of fouls. Lewis Morgan went close with a 25 yard free kick, then Scott Bain saved brilliantly when Cammy Smith spun on the ball and shot from just inside the penalty area.

When the Dark Blues started to settle on the ball they looked dangerous and took the lead after 10 minutes. Scott Allan’s corner was fumbled under the crossbar by former Dee keeper Craig Samson, allowing Darren O’DEA to scramble the ball over the line.

Allan’s inventive and incisive passing was giving Dundee a creative edge in midfield. The Dark Blues were looking likely to add to their lead but almost allowed Saints back into the game with sloppy defending. Gavin Reilly was allowed to burst through two tackles before Scott Bain parried his fierce shot. A wayward crossfield pass from trialist number 15 went straight to Morgan allowing him to run in on goal, but Bain saved again.

Dundee were playing some good passing football through the mdifield but went closest following a burst out of defence by Mark O’Hara. At the end of a long run he set up Faissal El Bakhtaoui, but Samson saved well.

After 38 minutes Dundee scored again from a corner. Instead of sending the ball straight into the goalmouth Allan exchanged passes with trialist number 15 before whipping over an excellent cross to the far post where O’DEA powered a header into the net.

Dundee made nine changes at half time, with only Scott Bain and trialist number 17 remaining on the pitch.

Three minutes into the second half the Dark Blues went 3-0 up. Danny Williams found trialist number 22 in space on the left, and his low cross was turned past Samson by Marcus HABER.

The scoreline was harsh on a St Mirren team who had been in contention throughout the game and it was no surprise when they quickly pulled a goal back. Bain dallied too long on a passback, and when he was closed down he couldn’t clear the ball beyond the edge of the penalty area. Gavin REILLY collected the ball and scored with a low shot.

For a friendly there was no shortage of towsy moments and referee Mr Cook had to stop play several times to warn players to behave. Aside from some tasty tackles there were a couple of incidents when players squared up to each other, although Lewis Spence was the only player to be booked, for leading with his elbow.

Midway though the second half the number 17 trialist was replaced by Sam Dryden, who went to right back. Cammy Kerr moved into the centre and was by far the most experienced member of the back four.

St Mirren dominated the last half hour, but the young defence held out. There were a few hairy moments in the Dundee penalty area and Scott Bain had to make some saves but these were mostly routine stops. The exception was a fine save after a Dark Blue defensive mix up. Connor McManus seemed sure to score after dragging the ball into space but Bain saved superbly.

The game finished with St Mirren still pushing hard for a consolation goal. Manager Neil McCann must be pleased with such a competitive opening to the season. This was no half tempo kick about. Despite the numerous subsitutions the pace of the match never slackened and it was a highly watchable encounter right to the end.

Good write-up. Sounds like just the game we needed. I don't care if your players were going in hard; that sounds ideal prep to me, and it doesn't seem like anyone got injured.

We are going to be all about the nippy wee players in the three positions behind the striker - lots of movement and quick passing. People saying Reilly looked pretty sharp and very hungry (but not in the Mark Yardley sense). Hopefully we've got a player with a point to prove, there.

We need a backup DM - an old stager happy to make 20 appearances would be ideal (though perhaps Darren Whyte will be the backup there).

The business club helped pour money in,my son in law is a member.

£2k a week in the championship if fine for a good player like Stephen McGinn or Gary Mack,

But for Rory Loy who spent as much time on our bench nah I don't think so :whistle

17 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

GazFFC tells me the St.Mirren's offer for Loy was derisory. What an utterly Micky Mouse club.

PS Still in Budapest TGIG

:lol: Good on the club for not being swayed by a greedy agent trying to play clubs off one another. 

We'll get our forward when the time is right. As things stand our squad looks to have danger in it from most positions whereas Falkirk appear to be banking their lot on Loy. 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

As things stand our squad looks to have danger in it from most positions whereas Falkirk appear to be banking their lot on Loy. 

As things stand all I hear is laughing at St Mirrens signings but you carry on

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Budapest is one of the finest cities in Europe, but you two fannies are here posting shite (and I mean shite) wind-ups on the St Mirren thread?

Put your phones away and go and get laid.

Not a pleasant thought...

Budapest is one of the finest cities in Europe, but you two fannies are here posting shite (and I mean shite) wind-ups on the St Mirren thread?
Put your phones away and go and get laid.

Stop it and let us have some fun [emoji23]

I wouldn't say we are banking our lot on Loy, we still have Hippolyte, Austin, Miller, time will tell if Harris is any good, Sibbald could yet stay. Allied to two young pacey forwards in O'Hara and Shepherd, although the latter really needs to step up this season, so we arent a one trick pony. Mckee needs to stay injury free in midfield though and we are prob short at left back but have a great prospect in Gallagher. 

£2k a week in the championship if fine for a good player like Stephen McGinn or Gary Mack,
But for Rory Loy who spent as much time on our bench nah I don't think so :whistle

I think you should half that weekly wage and you maybe nearer the mark

15 hours ago, Young gun said:

Delicious 

image.jpeg.5f47d4f5bbe66257c576e0a171eef5c4.jpeg