Dundee United 2017/2018

So Hughes COULD be good, but equally he COULD be absolutely fucking chronic? I do think thats a wise type of manager to choose on the heels of two complete failures and on the brink of 3 (three) seasons in the Championship.

Going for a steady eddie type who could simply use the far superior budget to get out of this league would be utterly foolish. Best off with a complete gamble.

Well it's United.....

I think Hughes would’ve been steady, especially if he’d started with a clean slate which could’ve happened in the summer.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think Hughes would’ve been steady, especially if he’d started with a clean slate which could’ve happened in the summer.

Steady? John Hughes wouldn't be steady if you nailed his feet to the floor.

3 hours ago, ekfootball said:

The appointment of Laszlo has been what expected, absolutely shambolic. Surely McIntyre & Dodds were a far better option.  Even Allan Johnston & Sandy Clark, David Hopkirk, John Hughes,, Christ even Ian McCall would be better.

We tried that before.

He wasn't.

The appointment of Laszlo has been what expected, absolutely shambolic. Surely McIntyre & Dodds were a far better option.  Even Allan Johnston & Sandy Clark, David Hopkirk, John Hughes,, Christ even Ian McCall would be better.

Mcintyre didn’t want the job because we couldn’t employ Billy Dodds. That’s the circus here.

5 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I'd go for Dick Campbell. A hugely successful manager who seems to be getting even better with age. Pleasureland would still only be a half hour away.

John Hughes was whoring himself to United when he was at ICT but Thompson told him to bolt. 

Of course he did.  Why wouldn’t he when he had Mixu lined up?  No pulling the wool over Thompson’s eyes.

When has John Hughes ever built a team like that? Falkirk a decade ago? 
Please don't suggest ICT, as you just have to ask their fans about Hughes to find out what he done there. 

This is utter nonsense, what he left behind at ICT was the Scottish Cup and a stable premier league team. Look at ICT now. Let’s not forget he also did a decent job at Hibs.

I honestly dont think Hughes is who we need. 

The fact he got a Ray McKinnon team into a worse situation makes me think hes another Csaba type. 

I would honestly rather we went for Stuart McCall before him. Id probably rather we went for Jim fucking Duffy before him as hes done a decent job.

27 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

My concern is that the bad atmosphere and boardroom difficulties at the club make the job virtually impossible regardless of who might take on the role. 

You're spot on. I wouldnt be surprised if Laszlo it trying to get sacked, get a lump sum and get out asap.

And there will be a no promotion clause in his contract so Thompson will just wait till we're out of the playoffs then sack him for free.

5 hours ago, GrantB878 said:

This is utter nonsense, what he left behind at ICT was the Scottish Cup and a stable premier league team. Look at ICT now. Let’s not forget he also did a decent job at Hibs.

Terry Butcher left behind a stable premiership side who could win a trophy, within two seasons Hughes destroyed that team, filled it with a million central midfielders, and spent every third day saying it was shite how he didn't get more of a budget and he deserved to manage a bigger club. 

Genuinely, ask Caley fans about him.

Terry Butcher left behind a stable premiership side who could win a trophy, within two seasons Hughes destroyed that team, filled it with a million central midfielders, and spent every third day saying it was shite how he didn't get more of a budget and he deserved to manage a bigger club. 
Genuinely, ask Caley fans about him.

Heard all that before and looked into it and don’t buy it. Sounds like sour grapes because he left them and made some excuses to me.

Appointing Ritchie Foran was the downfall of Caley, he was appointed in May ffs. Whole summer to add signings and a whole season ahead of him.

Falkirk - Relegated the season after he left. Hibs - Relegated 2 seasons after he left. Hartlepool - Relegated whilst in charge. ICT - Relegated the season after he left. Raith - Relegated whilst he was in charge.

He certainly seems to have a track record. Is he leaving the clubs in a sound footing when he fucks off? Not for a second saying he's to blame for all these relegations but it's a bizarre coincidence.

42 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Heard all that before and looked into it and don’t buy it. Sounds like sour grapes because he left them and made some excuses to me.

Appointing Ritchie Foran was the downfall of Caley, he was appointed in May ffs. Whole summer to add signings and a whole season ahead of him.

You're just absolutely desperate to ignore blatant facts and I've no idea why. John Hughes'only successes have been short term, and the club ends up worse off by the time he's left. 

You're just absolutely desperate to ignore blatant facts and I've no idea why. John Hughes'only successes have been short term, and the club ends up worse off by the time he's left. 

Im not ignoring any blatant facts, you’re being ridiculous. To even suggest the things you are is showing a massive bias, not sure how you cannot see that.

Hughes got Falkirk promoted, then kept them in the league for 4 seasons, a Scottish Cup Final and a European place... and you’re blaming him for them being relegated a full season after he left them. Maybe, just maybe it was Eddie May or Steven Presley’s fault.

Hughes had a decent first season at Hibs, 4th and Europe, second season he got off to a terrible start but was quickly sacked, they get relegated the season AFTER, about 20 month later..

Livingston no idea what happened there but the Hartlepool gig was one he went into when the team hadn’t won in over 20 games. Silly job to take on.

ICT. Got them into Europe, 3rd place in the Premiership (highest ever finish for them surely?) final of a League Cup, Scottish Cup winners and you’re banging on about them being relegated the season after he left.. when Ritchie Foran took over in May.

Raith, had an absolute shocker.

I’m the one ignoring blatant facts? Is a guy with that kind of record really that bad? That bad that he shouldn’t be in the frame for getting a gig in the Scottish Championship? Seriously.

Also, maybe the clubs have ended up worse for him not being there? Just a thought. I don’t believe that but then again I don’t believe he had anything to do with clubs being relegated a long time after he had left either.

Archived