Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When has John Hughes ever built a team like that? Falkirk a decade ago? 
Please don't suggest ICT, as you just have to ask their fans about Hughes to find out what he done there. 

Already had a long debate about this with you before. My opinion. [emoji4]

Seems fashionable to slag Hughes just now, everyone has jumped right on that bandwagon.

Taking the Raith job has really ruined his reputation which is ashame.

Terrible result but the diddees reaction never fails to raise a smile. These bitter, twisted, tormented, success starved morons would be delighted to finish 9th in the third division, as long as United were 10th. No wonder they have won f**k in all in 50 years.
Think we'll go up in the playoffs this season but won't be satisfied until we are back within Scotland's big 6.

You raging eh

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hughes should’ve been in in the first place IMO.

Everyone seems to have jumped on the whole Raith incident though which I don’t think is totally fair.

I think if he was given the budget Csaba and McKinnon have had he’d have built a good reliable team that had a bit of experience in Scotland and knew how to grind out results and get out the league.

Honestly can’t see things turning round for United just now, looked like they’d finally cleared the deck in the summer and got rid of a whole load of shite but the squad looks messy and a state again already.

Good point, he managed to get Raith out of the league and that was no mean feat given where they were when he took over.

Good point, he managed to get Raith out of the league and that was no mean feat given where they were when he took over.

Kind of reinforcing my point.

Raith was an absolute disaster and since then he’s been trying to atone for it, which he’s not very good at because he sounds like a mental teuchter ned in his interviews.

But if he never had that short spell at Raith he’d be back in work somewhere already and possibly even at a higher level than the Championship.

I think he’s a good manager and I’m positive he’d have done better than Csaba or McKinnon.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Raith was an absolute disaster and since then he’s been trying to atone for it, which he’s not very good at because he sounds like a mental teuchter ned in his interviews.

But if he never had that short spell at Raith he’d be back in work somewhere already and possibly even at a higher level than the Championship.

I think he’s a good manager and I’m positive he’d have done better than Csaba or McKinnon.

When Saints were looking to replace Alex Rae I had the same opinion as you, Hughes looked a good fit.

I then saw a young manager like Jack Ross absolutely take him to the cleaners in a do or die game. Yogi had absolutely no answer. He then followed it up by losing a two legged play off against Brechin City. That really should not have happened, Raith's team was not THAT bad.

Shabba looks like a mistake but if Utd are going to rebuild they need to look for a younger progressive manager IMO.

Robbie Neilson is an obvious available candidate right now, I also reckon Stephen Craigan at Motherwell would make an excellent manager.

Hard also to ignore David Hopkin for what he has done at Livingston on what will be a tiny fraction of what Utd's budget is.

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He just had to get them over the line. It was harder to get relegated than to just have the season fizzle out. What he did at that club was truly spectacular.

If you want to give him a shot, by all means go for it.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Erm no he hasn't. If he seriously wanted to restore credibility as a football manager, then he could have thrown his hat into the ring at a seaside league club. Jim Duffy's career shows that a spell in the abject wilderness (Clyde) might be sufficient to clear memories of an abject failure at a higher level; jakey McCall having a bizarre rise in his stock despite having Ayr in their usual yo-yo permadiddy slot is another example. John Hughes, by contrast, was too busy touting himself for the Scotland job just a few weeks ago. A buffoon with absolutely no sense of his place in the national game then. 

When Saints were looking to replace Alex Rae I had the same opinion as you, Hughes looked a good fit.
I then saw a young manager like Jack Ross absolutely take him to the cleaners in a do or die game. Yogi had absolutely no answer. He then followed it up by losing a two legged play off against Brechin City. That really should not have happened, Raith's team was not THAT bad.
Shabba looks like a mistake but if Utd are going to rebuild they need to look for a younger progressive manager IMO.
Robbie Neilson is an obvious available candidate right now, I also reckon Stephen Craigan at Motherwell would make an excellent manager.
Hard also to ignore David Hopkin for what he has done at Livingston on what will be a tiny fraction of what Utd's budget is.

I think they are 3 great candidates but not sure if any are realistic.

Craigan would be a bit of a wild card, Neilson would maybe be looking at a bigger job and would take a bit of cash to get Hopkin away from Livi.

Erm no he hasn't. If he seriously wanted to restore credibility as a football manager, then he could have thrown his hat into the ring at a seaside league club. Jim Duffy's career shows that a spell in the abject wilderness (Clyde) might be sufficient to clear memories of an abject failure at a higher level; jakey McCall having a bizarre rise in his stock despite having Ayr in their usual yo-yo permadiddy slot is another example. John Hughes, by contrast, was too busy touting himself for the Scotland job just a few weeks ago. A buffoon with absolutely no sense of his place in the national game then. 

Wouldn’t argue with that, maybe end up doing that eventually who knows.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

I think they are 3 great candidates but not sure if any are realistic.

Craigan would be a bit of a wild card, Neilson would maybe be looking at a bigger job and would take a bit of cash to get Hopkin away from Livi.

Crags would be a punt for sure, and for that reason given the precarious situation at Utd right now that would probably rule him out.

Neilson you never know. He isn't working just now, he'll have got a decent pay out at MK Dons, Utd are still a big club at the end of the day. It might tempt him.

Hopkin, Livingston are perennially skint. Again I doubt it would take much to prise him away.

To be perfectly honest if you binned Csaba and just let Laurie Ellis do it to the end of the season you'd be no worse off financially and he'd almost certainly do a better job!

He left a ticking financial nuclear bomb under FFC (whoring himself out as he did so), had no plan B once the Wee Wizard retired, had a good start at Hibs which then went exactly as we told them it would, did well in the circumstances before being unfairly sacked by Hartlepool, did nothing at all at Livingston, before having a tremendous season or two at ICT, (whoring himself out as he did so) and leaving amid acrimony and flaming torches and pitchforks from the Invernessian fans aplenty. I've not even considered his visible descent into madness and chaos in Kirkcaldy last season.

Seems like an ideal appointment for Tannadeechy tbh.

4 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

It's taken 11 years, but I actually agree with one of your posts. I feel slightly ill.

Crags would be a punt for sure, and for that reason given the precarious situation at Utd right now that would probably rule him out.
Neilson you never know. He isn't working just now, he'll have got a decent pay out at MK Dons, Utd are still a big club at the end of the day. It might tempt him.
Hopkin, Livingston are perennially skint. Again I doubt it would take much to prise him away.
To be perfectly honest if you binned Csaba and just let Laurie Ellis do it to the end of the season you'd be no worse off financially and he'd almost certainly do a better job!

All good points. Neilson and Hopkin are great shouts that I hadn’t thought of.

I’m also just giving my tuppence worth as an interested observer like a lot of others on here. Really like United but fortunately for me I’ve got the Godfather of Scottish Footballs lower leagues in charge at my club.

9 minutes ago, Div said:

It's taken 11 years, but I actually agree with one of your posts. I feel slightly ill.

Not to worry: now that you've got the hang of things I'm sure you'll get it right much more often. 

11 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He left a ticking financial nuclear bomb under FFC (whoring himself out as he did so), had no plan B once the Wee Wizard retired, had a good start at Hibs which then went exactly as we told them it would, did well in the circumstances before being unfairly sacked by Hartlepool, did nothing at all at Livingston, before having a tremendous season or two at ICT, (whoring himself out as he did so) and leaving amid acrimony and flaming torches and pitchforks from the Invernessian fans aplenty. I've not even considered his visible descent into madness and chaos in Kirkcaldy last season.

Seems like an ideal appointment for Tannadeechy tbh.

Do nuclear bombs tick? That seems rather anachronistic. I would expect any self-respecting terrorist to at least go digital with the timer.

So Hughes COULD be good, but equally he COULD be absolutely fucking chronic? I do think thats a wise type of manager to choose on the heels of two complete failures and on the brink of 3 (three) seasons in the Championship.

Going for a steady eddie type who could simply use the far superior budget to get out of this league would be utterly foolish. Best off with a complete gamble.

Well it's United.....

I'd go for Dick Campbell. A hugely successful manager who seems to be getting even better with age. Pleasureland would still only be a half hour away.

John Hughes was whoring himself to United when he was at ICT but Thompson told him to bolt. 

Archived