Dundee United 2017/2018

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back up now

The Club announced today that Stephen Thompson has resigned as Chairman and Board member with immediate effect and Mike Martin has been elected as the new Chairman of Dundee United Football Club. 

Mr Thompson also confirmed his intention to dispose of the bulk of his current shareholding during the next few months as he pursues his own global business and sports ambitions. 

Mr Martin, who recently acquired over 30% shareholding in the Club as well as completing last week’s purchase of the GA Arena brings a wealth of corporate financial and commercial experience to the Chairman’s position having served in the international financial sector for over 35 years, including various senior roles at HSBC and, currently, Euroclear Bank, where he is an Independent Non-Executive Director and Chairman of the Risk Committee. 

Mr Martin said, “I know that Dundee United has excellent potential and when the opportunity arose to purchase a significant shareholding in the Club I saw it as a real chance to contribute more effectively to the challenge of turning round the club’s fortunes. Being elected Chairman puts me in a position to further influence the change of direction required to revive the fortunes of the club, working alongside my experienced and committed colleagues in the Boardroom. 

“It is clear that  Dundee United benefits from an excellent staff and arguably the most loyal and passionate support base in the country. We have all experienced pain in the recent times but I ask all fans to judge me, as Chairman, on my actions and get behind the Club as we look to ensure a bright long-term future.”

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Mr Thompson also confirmed his intention to dispose of the bulk of his current shareholding during the next few months as he pursues his own global business and sports ambitions.

I wonder if he'd mind buying into Dundee next.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Very nothing statement from the new chairman.

I think he's saving the announcement of the 20 million quid investment until Monday - he can't get to the bank in all this snow.

The big thing for me will be what happens with Thompson's shares. If it is a case that Martin will buy them up then I will be totally against that kind of ownership. If it means more local business people or different groups being able to purchase shares then that would be more positive.

Just now, The DA said:

I think he's saving the announcement of the 20 million quid investment until Monday - he can't get to the bank in all this snow.

Remember when we got rid of McNamara and brought in Mixu; and when we got rid of McKinnon and brought in Lazlo.

I really hope this is third time lucky.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Remember when we got rid of McNamara and brought in Mixu; and when we got rid of McKinnon and brought in Lazlo.

I really hope this is third time lucky.

FFS he's not going to manage the team as well as being the Chairman, is he?

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

The big thing for me will be what happens with Thompson's shares. If it is a case that Martin will buy them up then I will be totally against that kind of ownership. If it means more local business people or different groups being able to purchase shares then that would be more positive.

You’d be against someone being committed enough to buy a majority shareholding?

Just now, Granny Danger said:

You’d be against someone being committed enough to buy a majority shareholding?

I'm a supporter of having no majority shareholder similar to the '50+1' rule in German football meaning no single person should have deciding votes on club matters. Power like that, in my opinion, should not be in the hands of a single shareholder.

16 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I'm a supporter of having no majority shareholder similar to the '50+1' rule in German football meaning no single person should have deciding votes on club matters. Power like that, in my opinion, should not be in the hands of a single shareholder.

It's a nice idea that works nowhere as you just buy shares for your wife, children and dogs

16 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Yeah I’m not oppossed to that either, but it is nowhere near the reality we have at the moment.  Not even remotely close.

If we have a sufficiently wealthy and well intentioned fan willing to buy a majority shareholding I would be delighted at that prospect.  I don’t know enough about Martin to know if he’s the guy.

I am clinging on to the hope that ST is the Jonah that has upset God in some way (please see my earlier post regarding God’s suspected Sevconian tendencies), and that as soon as he fucks off, the curse that has afflicted our club for the last few years will be lifted, allowing us to compete fairly again.

In your own time Stephen, but sometime before the Playoffs would be lovely thanks........

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah I’m not oppossed to that either, but it is nowhere near the reality we have at the moment.  Not even remotely close.

If we have a sufficiently wealthy and well intentioned fan willing to buy a majority shareholding I would be delighted at that prospect.  I don’t know enough about Martin to know if he’s the guy.

Why don't you buy the club? Are you not a multi millionaire businessman?

14 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's a nice idea that works nowhere as you just buy shares for your wife, children and dogs

I wouldn't be in favour of a completely free share issue and for voting rights/board representation it would be a minimum share purchase rather than "one share, one vote". 

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Is it not the case that it might be easier to attract a few investors rather than one? If you ask one fan to purchase say 60% of the club it might detract compared to three or four investors splitting that shareholding.  

Archived