"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Well ... Queens still do a lot in the local community and players visit the primary schools etc.  Having the players train at Hamilton Palace doesn't preclude them from occasional mid-week visits to the town to support community work.  I'm sure it would be the same for ICT.

I do think there is a bit of an (albeit understandable) over-reaction here.  Is this the end of the club?  Or is it just some much needed financial pragmatism kicking in at long last to acknowledge a situation that needs addressing (to save the club)?

As I've said earlier, the only odd thing here is giving funding to a rival instead of using other available facilities - eg the place in Perth that Arbroath used previously, and I'm sure there are others.

An hours trip from Hamilton to Dumfries compared to a 2 1/2 hour trip up the A9 in mid winter to visit a couple of schools? never happen, those central belt players they are talking of signing will feck that right off.

Over reaction, it may seem like that to a fan that visits our thread once in a while, but believe me this is just one item in a culmination of fiascos with the club management, it started with Dodds to put you in the picture, nd there has been a complete ignoring of fans for years, a concert fiasco which went bust and alienated the club from traders and merchants in the city, the loss of Witherspoon, Carson and Welsh and to balance abstract signings of loanees which turned out duds, it goes on and on and on and on, and now this.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

I think comparing the drive from Hamilton to Dumfries (1hr8 mins according to google maps) to the drive from Kelty to Inverness (2hrs27) is a bit daft. If a youth team player who lives in Inverness gets invited to train with the first team for a bit I think they'll soon tire of the 5 hour round trip. I doubt many players are going to be too enthused about that journey to visit kids in hospital or hand out medals at an under 9s tournament after training in the morning. Queen of the South may be the closest comparison as the only other full time team to train miles away from their home but just because it works for them it does not mean it will work here.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

With speculation that finances are a bit fucked is it possible that they are trying to raise funds/reduce spend by getting rid of any club houses and that's the actual motivator to move?

We've been in business for thirty years and purchase of houses for players etc just didn't happen yesterday, businesses owning properties is an asset and can be a write off, most golf clubs have houses for staff or visitors and they are well looked after.

10 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I may well be proved wrong but I’m not seeing these players, who don’t want to be up here in the first place, finishing training and jumping in a car for 2 and a half hours to spend and hour or so in a primary school etc to then head straight back down the road.

To be fair, with Arbroath's community trust, the players do pop up for events, so it does happen.  I think that part is possibly a bit overhyped.  

I think the issue is not that the players train elsewhere, but that they are leaving.  For clubs like us, who have never had training in the town, it doesn't matter, but its the fact that Inverness DID have this, and now, after a really poor season, they've just announced they are leaving.  I think its the optics more than the tangible effect that makes a difference..

Looking at your chairman's statement from a few days back:

Once again, we would like to thank you all for your continued and valued support and hope you will remain with us on the next part of the club’s journey.

Suddenly this part makes more sense!

5 minutes ago, afca32 said:

I think comparing the drive from Hamilton to Dumfries (1hr8 mins according to google maps) to the drive from Kelty to Inverness (2hrs27) is a bit daft. If a youth team player who lives in Inverness gets invited to train with the first team for a bit I think they'll soon tire of the 5 hour round trip. I doubt many players are going to be too enthused about that journey to visit kids in hospital or hand out medals at an under 9s tournament after training in the morning. Queen of the South may be the closest comparison as the only other full time team to train miles away from their home but just because it works for them it does not mean it will work here.

Aye, OK I get your point - but you take me too literally there.  A majority of our players come from "the central belt" (could be Greenock to Edinburgh and elsewhere) and not necessarily Hamilton where we train, so picking that shortest distance is overly simplistic - but as I say, I do get your point.  I was just pointing out that "community" visits are still possible, and no doubt could be built into the requirements of the FT contracts.  Nor do such visits need to be as frequent as every other week.  There's always a sensible approach with these things.

2 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

To be fair, with Arbroath's community trust, the players do pop up for events, so it does happen.  I think that part is possibly a bit overhyped.  

I think the issue is not that the players train elsewhere, but that they are leaving.  For clubs like us, who have never had training in the town, it doesn't matter, but its the fact that Inverness DID have this, and now, after a really poor season, they've just announced they are leaving.  I think its the optics more than the tangible effect that makes a difference..

Looking at your chairman's statement from a few days back:

Suddenly this part makes more sense!

Again, though, Edinburgh (or Perth when it was there) to Arbroath isn’t too bad. An hour or so maybe? Plus with Arbroath being part time it makes sense to train in a location that is easiest for the majority of players to get to as they all have day jobs. Extra fair play to the players who do pop up to Arbroath for community stuff btw.

I think you are maybe right that it’s the fact that we are not used to this sort of thing. It’s always cost extra money to get Scottish players up here, it’s not a new thing and in the past we have proven it’s not a problem at all. You could argue County are proving that too.

The reason we are not being successful is not because of where we train. It’s because the guys running the club have made a complete and utter mess of it. We’ve had plenty of backing over the years we have been in the Championship but the money has pretty much all been wasted.

31 minutes ago, CountyinBorders said:

No I haven't but if thats what's being put out officially surely its there or thereabouts. I know that clubs may count all tickets/season tickets sold even if the ticket holder dosen't turn up but surely there isn't a significant about of people doing that?

So talking out your hoop then. It's f**k all near that average attendance. 

7 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

We've been in business for thirty years and purchase of houses for players etc just didn't happen yesterday, businesses owning properties is an asset and can be a write off, most golf clubs have houses for staff or visitors and they are well looked after.

Yeah I know,  but if your financially struggling then liquidating assets isn't uncommon, If not particularly desirable.

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Aye, OK I get your point - but you take me too literally there.  A majority of our players come from "the central belt" (could be Greenock to Edinburgh and elsewhere) and not necessarily Hamilton where we train, so picking that shortest distance is overly simplistic - but as I say, I do get your point.  I was just pointing out that "community" visits are still possible, and no doubt could be built into the requirements of the FT contracts.  Nor do such visits need to be as frequent as every other week.  There's always a sensible approach with these things.

I appreciate that but I'd also imagine most of the Inverness players won't be living in Kelty, or indeed Fife. I'd imagine the majority will be travelling from the Edinburgh and Glasgow areas, so this works both ways.

As a fan based in Edinburgh, this is actually good for me.  I might drive up to Kelty for pre-season, see what lower league journeymen and English academy rejects we have managed to entice using our innovative new training facility.

The problem is with the management and board not the fans, NOT ONE of them so far has had the balls to come out and publicly declare an apology for the mess we are in and then resign.

To the fans that just demonstrates how weak incompetent men they all are.

12 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think the issue is not that the players train elsewhere, but that they are leaving.  For clubs like us, who have never had training in the town, it doesn't matter, but its the fact that Inverness DID have this, and now, after a really poor season, they've just announced they are leavingI think its the optics more than the tangible effect that makes a difference..

^^^ Yeah, I think that's a fair point well made @ExiledLichtie

NB - I'm not trying to have a pop at the ICT fans in any of this.  It would have been a shock to me also if I'd been in their shoes, and any relegation hurts.  But it needn't be the end of the world.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dumfries has an equivalent population of around 33,000 and a wider area population of over 40,000. Inverness has no other significant population centre within 2 hours though.

Moray has a population of 94,000, the vast majority of whom live within one hour of Inverness. 

Two hours takes you to Inverurie, which would take the number of people well over 100,000.

I take it the club will be putting players up in our local hotels the night before a home game? Kingsmills. That's going to cost.

I need to mention that the house rental market in Inverness is on its arse right now, often less than six houses in the entire city at one time, absolutly brutal.

1 hour ago, CountyinBorders said:

It isn't, have a look https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-championship/attendances a fairly reliable source.

54 minutes ago, CountyinBorders said:

No I haven't but if thats what's being put out officially surely its there or thereabouts. I know that clubs may count all tickets/season tickets sold even if the ticket holder dosen't turn up but surely there isn't a significant about of people doing that?

It's part of their model of presenting themselves like a 'big' team. The real crowd is usually about half that, which is what coincidentally gets announced whenever they have to split the gate reciepts. 

22 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

^^^ Yeah, I think that's a fair point well made @ExiledLichtie

NB - I'm not trying to have a pop at the ICT fans in any of this.  It would have been a shock to me also if I'd been in their shoes, and any relegation hurts.  But it needn't be the end of the world.

I’d take being based in Inverness and giving the youth players a proper chance in the first 11 and staying in League 1 for a few years rather than this option that was supposedly bring in these players of the “highest quality”.