• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

21 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Love a dream ring. I'd have Cromarty Bakery's and especially Deas's versions over Gow's.

Gow's empire biscuit has a strong malt flavour which sets it apart from the rest. 

Cromarty Bakery is fantastic!

6 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

This is obviously one of the most complex and fast-moving stories in the history of Scottish Football, so for anyone checking in here wanting a summary / snapshot of where we’re up to without having to trawl through the last 5 pages of chat, this is my best attempt to summarise:

1.     Gow’s (in general) and their dream rings in particular are, at best, over-rated – although Savage Henry is a big dream ring fan.

2.     Central belt empire biscuits don’t come close to Highland ones – although it is reluctantly acknowledged that Baynes fudge donuts are decent.

3.     Very mixed reviews on Ashers. Not much negative has been said about Macleans.

4.     The Tomnahurich Street bakers’ sourdough is the bee’s knees. We are currently looking for volunteers to try their sweet offerings.

5.     I wasn’t aware Deas had closed, but @bpdon agrees that they (along with Boradfoot, whoever they are…?) are going to be hard to replace.

The world is extremely grateful to you for doing this 

1 hour ago, The Great Stagsby said:

This is obviously one of the most complex and fast-moving stories in the history of Scottish Football, so for anyone checking in here wanting a summary / snapshot of where we’re up to without having to trawl through the last 5 pages of chat, this is my best attempt to summarise:

1.     Gow’s (in general) and their dream rings in particular are, at best, over-rated – although Savage Henry is a big dream ring fan.

2.     Central belt empire biscuits don’t come close to Highland ones – although it is reluctantly acknowledged that Baynes fudge donuts are decent.

3.     Very mixed reviews on Ashers. Not much negative has been said about Macleans.

4.     The Tomnahurich Street bakers’ sourdough is the bee’s knees. We are currently looking for volunteers to try their sweet offerings.

5.     I wasn’t aware Deas had closed, but @bpdon agrees that they (along with Boradfoot, whoever they are…?) are going to be hard to replace.

Only negative thing to say about Macleans is that they stopped selling fresh bakes from the side door at 3 in the morning after a night on the lash in the early 2000s.

6 hours ago, forkboy said:

Hadn't even thought about Gow's dream rings in decades. I remember everyone being so excited by them at school, and then finally getting around to having one as an adult and being so underwhelmed.

The baker on Tomnahurich Street, now that's a baker. Admittedly I've never tried any of the sweets from them but their sourdough loaf is a thing of wonder.

The Bakery is a quality baker.  A fascinating fact about that bakery is that the owners daughter is a professional tennis player that qualified for a couple of French Opens, beating a former Wimbledon Finalist in Sabine Lisciki along the way.

I would also add that Harry Gow’s is now absolutely extortionate, but their filled rolls are better than Deas.  Deas beats them in every other category.  Deas Haggis Pie is glorious.

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Empire biscuits? Empire fuckin biscuits, that'll be the Roman Empire I hope and not that little englander rule brittania shite empire.

According to my granny they were called Kaiser biscuits in her youth. Name got changed in the First World War which is why they're sometimes called Belgian biscuits. I've also seen them named double biscuits.

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Friend of mine on a bender and rotten pissed for days wakes up one morning in a daze looks over and beside him is a naked old toothless hag, ffs as he gets out of bed and staggers to the toilet, as he pisses he looks up into the mirror and there,s a string hanging out of his mouth.

A friend you say?

Posted (edited)

Finding them called double biscuits increasingly often, I guess directly linked to how people are reacting to to notion of empire, think your far more likely to get 'aye, that was a bit cunty of us' than 'yeah, that's right we ruled the world' reaction now

Scot gardiner orders these aggressively from 16 year olds and tortures them with a 5 minute rant about how much better life was before the woke mob took over

Edited by parsforlife

6 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Empire biscuits? Empire fuckin biscuits, that'll be the Roman Empire I hope and not that little englander rule brittania shite empire.

They were previously called German biscuits until WW1. Then renamed Empire biscuits.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:

I agree on all points, however section A Point 2.    "Central belt empire biscuits don’t come close to Highland ones ..."

Highland ones are the best though the ones made in Lidl at Straiton just off the A720 are almost but not quite at a Highland level.

Edited by CountyinBorders

11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Finding them called double biscuits increasingly often, I guess directly linked to how people are reacting to to notion of empire, think your far more likely to get 'aye, that was a bit cunty of us' than 'yeah, that's right we ruled the world' reaction now

Scot gardiner orders these aggressively from 16 year olds and tortures them with a 5 minute rant about how much better life was before the woke mob took over

I got one at East end park back in November and was surprised it was called a “Double Biscuit”. Had only ever heard them called Empire biscuits before that 

Now.  How do we feel about foreign muck like Xoko?   An unwanted influx of foreign imports detracting from our national game, or a much needed demonstration of style and panache?

For me, Clive, their dulce de leche croissants are next level.  The Yan Dhanda of sweet treats, if you will. 

3 hours ago, Juanhourjoe said:

Absolutely not. Dodds played attacking football. And all we needed to be higher in the league was a couple of goals. Ferguson could not get us that, as he played every game for a 0-0 draw

I’m sorry, but do you remember how bad our defence was under Dodds at the start of the season? There were absolute howlers every game. We conceded four to Arbroath! Can’t assume we would have had the same defensive record with him around.

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Now.  How do we feel about foreign muck like Xoko?   An unwanted influx of foreign imports detracting from our national game, or a much needed demonstration of style and panache?

For me, Clive, their dulce de leche croissants are next level.  The Yan Dhanda of sweet treats, if you will. 

XOKO is the mutts! And their coffee is without doubt the best in Inverness.