• Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• Highland Capital

I knew that Sean "Welshy" Welsh was no longer The Caley Captain material when he was subbed off in the Airdrie game and 10 minutes the later camera panned to him sitting in the stand fucking around on his phone. Thanks for the memories.

50 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Aye Brooks is more of a longer term prospect. I think Lowland league to Championship has been a big jump for him.

Yeah it has. He could probably do with a loan spell in league 1 or 2.

20 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

I knew that Sean "Welshy" Welsh was no longer The Caley Captain material when he was subbed off in the Airdrie game and 10 minutes the later camera panned to him sitting in the stand fucking around on his phone. Thanks for the memories.

That’s an absolute shambles from our captain if you’re not at the wind up 

45 minutes ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Was Welsh not already dropped as captain? Or was that just temporary as he was injured?

Yeah I think the only reason he was captain for the Airdrie game was that Mckay started on the bench. 

Sorry to see Sean Welsh go but fully understand the need for the move, when fit and playing he was a formidable and very capable player for us and fully deserved the Captaincy, it may well be that the move at this stage of his career will see him stay in football in some coaching capacity and operating in the central belt will provide him with more contacts than he would have up here. 

Sean Welsh has made the following league appearances for us since signing (including sub appearances):

2018/19 28 games out of 36 (78% of games)
2019/20 5 games out of 27 (18% of games)
2020/21 21 games out of 27 (78% of games)
2021/22 28 games out of 36 (78% of games)
2022/23 21 games out of 36 (58% of games)
2023/24 6 games out of 20 (30% of games)

He did have a couple of seasons where he was relatively injury free but even those saw him miss some game time for knocks and niggles. He had a bad metatarsal injury in 2019 which saw him miss large chunks of the following season and the less said about the most recent two campaigns the better. I can see the logic in letting him move on but I am a little concerned about who we will be able to get in to replace him.

10 minutes ago, RiG said:

Sean Welsh has made the following league appearances for us since signing (including sub appearances):

2018/19 28 games out of 36 (78% of games)
2019/20 5 games out of 27 (18% of games)
2020/21 21 games out of 27 (78% of games)
2021/22 28 games out of 36 (78% of games)
2022/23 21 games out of 36 (58% of games)
2023/24 6 games out of 20 (30% of games)

He did have a couple of seasons where he was relatively injury free but even those saw him miss some game time for knocks and niggles. He had a bad metatarsal injury in 2019 which saw him miss large chunks of the following season and the less said about the most recent two campaigns the better. I can see the logic in letting him move on but I am a little concerned about who we will be able to get in to replace him.

I agree with your sentiment.

His time with us was definitely coming to an end , but with him back to fitness and us being very much in the mire of a relegation dogfight, I might have expected him to be at least kept to the end of this season.

29 minutes ago, DonnieMurdo said:

I agree with your sentiment.

His time with us was definitely coming to an end , but with him back to fitness and us being very much in the mire of a relegation dogfight, I might have expected him to be at least kept to the end of this season.

While I do agree with you I think it depends on how much money he is on. If he is one of our highest earners, which he probably is, it’s a big risk to keep him on for the rest of the season where you could only get another 5 games out of him. On the other hand you could hopefully bring in another couple of players with the money freed up. Very much risks on both sides and if it goes the wrong way I’m sure even more questions would be asked about this decision.

13 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

you could hopefully bring in another couple of players with the money freed up

With Wotherspoon and Welsh now out of what was already a pretty weak squad, this really does need to happen. Trusting that Big Dunc has some other pundits’ children to bring in!

15 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Think it was evident Dunc didn’t fancy him tbh, as has been said good player but injury prone.

Hope this isn’t our Gary Locke loaning Vaughn to Dumbarton moment 

Welsh isnt a match winner like Vaughan was/is, though?

Relegation battling teams probably need to spend their big wages on defence or attack. Thats what wins you points ultimately. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Welsh isnt a match winner like Vaughan was/is, though?

Relegation battling teams probably need to spend their big wages on defence or attack. Thats what wins you points ultimately. 

Might not be a match winner in the same ilk of Vaughn but it would be a similar vibe if Queens Park rocket up the table and he plays most games whilst we relegated.