"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dundee fans laughing despite irony being built into the very foundations of their club.

A Neil McCann led ICT to pap Dundee in the Play-Offs then get promoted, thats where my money is now headed.

No chance...... 

You've appointed the angriest man in Scottish football. Takes zero shit. Will have you playing from the back and there will be no variance from this model. Philosophy is more important than results.

James Vincent will be first for the chopping block.

I've no idea how this will work. You've appointed the polar opposite to John Robertson. 

Should have been given more time with us in retrospect. Should have punched some pus' quicker than he did.

Edited by Ludo*1

I know this is an interim appointment.  I know the club's skint.  I know we aren't a particularly attractive prospect.  That doesn't change the fact this is an underwhelming appointment.  McCann is a nice enough guy but a good manager?  Not sure.  Some fans speculated on Maurice Ross and he'd have been a risk, but perhaps worth a punt.  In some ways I'm not *that* surprised - it was always going to be someone from Gardiner's clique.

If this was just for a few weeks, we could live with it but I'm starting to think this could well turn into a permanent appointment.  Robertson talked about leaving a few weeks ago and given the latest developments, it seems like his time away from the club will be longer rather than shorter.  I actually wouldn't be surprised if Robertson returned for the last few games with he and McCann acting as co-managers (particularly if Kellacher is out of the picture) with Robertson leaving after the final game and McCann appointed permanently.

At least it's not Locke...

Edited by Highland Capital

OYF. Can't believe I didn't think of the one guy with a prominent media profile and relatively recent managerial experience who ticks every box for Gardiner with Rangers, Hearts and Dundee connections. That's clearly the only criteria used to get him the job here.

While Caley Thistle have form for both managers and players who are clueless elsewhere somehow looking competent in Inverness, McCann's time at Dundee doesn't suggest he's a bad manager as much as it suggests he simply isn't a manager and doesn't have a clue what he's doing. He seemed to be in that category of people who would get one shot at it then never get another chance because they were so incompetent.

While some managers have been an abject failure like McCann in their first jobs and learned from it to do good jobs elsewhere, you'd have to say a relegation battle looks a lot more likely than it did two days ago.

It is what it is, like it or lump it he's here and we have to wait and see what he can produce, anyway it cannot be as bad as what we saw last night against an Alloa who were out on their feet in the last 15 minutes but still managed to get a draw with that penalty in the dying minutes.

I note a mention in an earlier post as to why Barry Wilson didn't get the interim managers job, here's why with his interview post match with the BBC;

Barry Wilson - 'The performance levels were really high tonight-we created chances and dominated the game'.

Barry get an eye test,  for long spells we couldn't control the ball and Alloa's strikers/midfield made fools of our defenders.

By all accounts I've heard Barry Wilson isn't a very good coach and he didn't do very well as manager of Elgin.  This does seem like a very jobs-for-the-boys appointment, but that's the Scott Gardiner and the Caley Thistle way.  Is McCann as good a manager as John Robertson?  No chance.  If we look at who else the likely candidates would be, is he better than McIntyre?  Probably.  Better than Kettlewell?  Probably.  Better than Locke?  Definitely.  Better than Maurice Ross or Gary Naysmith?  Maybe, though I'd have maybe taken a punt on the former.  I do remember McCann being decent when he was caretaker of Dundee but when he became the manager proper the wheels came off.

As I say, hopefully we get the Dundee caretaker McCann and not the Dundee manager proper McCann and Robertson is back before too long.  As I said before though, it's probably almost certain that both the club and McCann are looking at this appointment with one eye on it eventually being a full time gig.

22 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Have to say the reaction on CTO is hilarious. A few fans have essentially gone “meh” at the appointment and happy clappers have reacted to them by foaming at the mouth.

The poster 'Agent N' comes across as if he is Scot Gardiner tbh.

This comment is my favourite though:

'What kind of fans do we have ? It’s embarrassing reading some of the comments on here . A man is willing to give up a steady position to help us in our hour of need and this is how we thank him . I know the majority of fans will appreciate what he is doing and get behind him .I just hope he’s not reading these nasty negative comments and wants to put his coat on and head back down the road ......WHY IS ADMIN ALLOWING IT ? '

When absolutely none of your fans have been overly critical.

37 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

'What kind of fans do we have ? It’s embarrassing reading some of the comments on here . A man is willing to give up a steady position to help us in our hour of need and this is how we thank him . I know the majority of fans will appreciate what he is doing and get behind him .I just hope he’s not reading these nasty negative comments and wants to put his coat on and head back down the road ......WHY IS ADMIN ALLOWING IT ? '

That same poster expressed her unhappiness at not being able to "see" our podcast when we started it and demanded to know why there weren't player interviews on it. "Not happy" was how she put it.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's good reason why so many people left CTO - the place became overrun with morons and happy clappers.  There would've been a time when the site would have crashed in a situation like this but it's not even vaguely busy.  The worst the 'negative' posters have gone is essentially said 'meh' and folk have reacted as if the naysayers have said they hope he gets Covid!  'Agent N' is essentially puting words in a poster's mouth that aren't even remotely like what he said. 

There seems to be a common phrase now of "give him a chance!" and "it's what he does here that counts!", both are true but it doesn't mean people don't have a right to and say they feel underwhelmed by an appointment.  Of course he'll get a chance - no ICT supporter wants him to fail.

Edited by Highland Capital

Had a look at CTO and  before McCann was appointed one poster said he would prefer Barry, Ryan and Charlie Christie to get the job.

After last night's performance I wouldn't give Barry and Ryan management of a ladies netball team.

And Charlie Christie walked out of the Caley Manager's job in 2007.

mind when the p&b intelligentsia lined up to tell us how poor at football Shaun Rooney was. Why, I can even recall the brightest [sic] amongst the Ross County support insisting the same despite clear evidence to the contrary.

Having experienced The Stretford End baying for the blood of the manager that they would later adore, I care not a jot that Neil was let go by a club that the word nefarious was invented for.

But hey, I'm just a lone voice on a little read corner of an obscure lower league football forum. If I was involved in a podcast that relied upon a modicum of goodwill from the club that the venture relies upon, I rather think that I'd choose to be circumspect over condemning.