5 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Agree with the positions that require strengthening, centre of midfield is a big one as well as our left hand side. Don’t think Horgan is good enough regularly and Stevenson looks done.

Aye, if Stevenson/Hanlon/McGregor/Gray want to stay at Hibs on reduced wages in some sort of fringe player/mentor/coach/cup-winning shaggers role until their legs fall off that is fine for me, and all would be fine in a pinch or for a run in an injury crisis. I honestly think the cup runs and championship seasons, and the number of games these guys played over 2/3 years, has caught up with them. All seemed comfy when fit when we first came back up but maybe feeling the effects over the last year or two.

Agreed on Horgan as well, would be happy for him to be replaced but don't think we'll have much chance of moving him on. Again, if we can bring in better he'd be fine for the bench.

Joe Newell looked decent for a couple of games at LWB just before the stoppage. Takes a decent corner as well.

Another (possible) problem is I'm not sure whether Scott Allan will be able to play/train straight away, as he is a type 1 diabetic. I think it depends if he has had a letter off his GP telling him to stay at home completely.

Edited by JamesM82

10 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Joe Newell looked decent for a couple of games at LWB just before the stoppage. Takes a decent corner as well.

Another (possible) problem is I'm not sure whether Scott Allan will be able to play/train straight away, as he is a type 1 diabetic. I think it depends if he has had a letter off his GP telling him to stay at home completely.

That's true actually. I was basing my suggestions on the assumption that we'd play some sort of 4-5-1 based formation but that's not a given. Whole new can of worms if Jack is thinking about playing a 3/5 defender formation or anything that requires two strikers every week. Still not sure I'd want a guy who played a couple of games there as the first choice, even if he winds up being great still best to have a more sure option to start with. 

Re Allan I hadn't thought of that. Hopefully Mallan's fit and able to rotate with him more this year, protect him from burn out and push him. I think the disastrous move to make him a deeper midfielder has made folk forget how effective he can be when he's playing between the lines. I'm a bit biased though as I'd have someone who can smack in rakers from 30 yards in my team even if he couldn't run the length of himself. Murray looks to be a player as well and I'd say it's make or break for him  this season.

He completely sacked it in once we were on easy street but I really liked Holt for most of that season. He didn't score much but his strike partner did just about every time. Jason Cummings' entire career since has had a (very large) Grant Holt shaped hole in it.

His move to professional wrestling is also one of the best use of a transferable skill you'll see from football. His diving was an absolute joy to watch.

2 hours ago, Bohemian said:

30 years ago on this day.......

103137568_3050145775100897_5495920778208805776_n.jpg

103332267_3050145865100888_8369286058770078909_n.jpg

103998062_3051026405012834_7607824241220468254_n.jpg

103971041_3050145858434222_7992073624548395879_n.jpg

103960710_3050145768434231_5952321385170131952_n.jpg

Pat Stanton kissing the hallowed turf is another iconic image from that day.

I remember that there were some Hearts fans at the rally- I think they hated Mercer too!

7 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Get yersel' tae f**k.

Stubbs.gif.c6a7ab0b44c304c15d1bd6e67eb35c70.gif

7 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Mad Max Thats GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

A broken clock can be right on the odd occasion and no matter how you slice it, Stubbs has been a monumental failure at every club except Hibs. He absolutely shat the bed with us.

My main point was about Stewart anyway, not that fucking scouse shitgibbon.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Pat Stanton kissing the hallowed turf is another iconic image from that day.

I remember that there were some Hearts fans at the rally- I think they hated Mercer too!

Was it not Joe Baker that kissed the turf ?

Famously, John Robertson was there to lend his support.

I was there but was obviously pretty young so remember little of the day itself.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Was it not Joe Baker that kissed the turf ?

Famously, John Robertson was there to lend his support.

I was there but was obviously pretty young so remember little of the day itself.

Maybe you're right. I'm sure Stanton made a speech. I was there that day.

I still laugh at a comment in a Jambos fanzine at the time about the possible value of the Hibs players were they to be flogged off post merger;

"Alan Sneddon (£50,000): £50,000 for a one eyed coffin dodger?! Do me a favour, I'd rather buy the pie stalls."

15 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Hibs are believed to have held talks with at least one club over his transfer, with any deal set to be completed in instalments

Kamberi 

That sounds like a *** type deal. 250k spread over 10 years.

Thinking about the Stewart story there, how many signings do folk think Hibs need/may sign this summer? Hard to have a good idea as it's unclear how affected our budget will be, and guys we might try to negotiate a release for (hi Tom James!) will rather sit on their contracts.
We only have one senior goalie, so one of them. Porteous and Jackson with Hanlon, McGregor, McGinn and Stirling as support looks decent for centre half. I'd want new 1st choices for both fullbacks, but with Gray, McGinn and James on the right and Mackie coming back from Dundee, we have bodies (if not quality) on both sides so might not be a priority. Midfield need an anchor and an energetic box to  box guy, and at least one striker and another winger.
So for me that's:
GK, RB - Naismith? Not incredible but a handy player with a lot of good attributes. LB. Anchor man - Gogic would be an obvious one but haven't seen that suggested anywhere other than on here. Box to Box midfielder - in a fantasy world we swap Kamberi for Docherty. Striker - Stewart. Winger - No ideas really. So 7 in total coming in, some absolutely needed some in an ideal world
Would give us a full strength squad of 
Marciano
Naismith Jackson Porteous New LB
Allan Gogic Docherty
Boyle Doidge Horgan
New GK McGinn Hanlon Halberg/Newell/Mallan/Murray (pick any two) New Winger/Forward Stewart
Fanciful and juvenile exercise I know but I'm bored as f**k of no football at this point. 
Honestly will be a bit surprised if we sign anyone. There's been an enormous financial hit taken which I don't think has been fully understood. The loss of income for 2019/20 and for an indeterminate period of 2020/21 isn't coming back, that's going to have to be factored in to any budget.

The only way I see us signing anyone is by punting a couple of the most valuable players and using that to make up the losses. You'd think Kamberi would be one of them, but I'm unconvinced the fee for him will come close to covering it all. Our most sellable player is probably Porteous. Would be gutted if he left, but there might be no option.

However, if we do that, I'd imagine that a lot of players will be available as free agents for not very high wages at all.

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Maybe you're right. I'm sure Stanton made a speech. I was there that day.

I still laugh at a comment in a Jambos fanzine at the time about the possible value of the Hibs players were they to be flogged off post merger;

"Alan Sneddon (£50,000): £50,000 for a one eyed coffin dodger?! Do me a favour, I'd rather buy the pie stalls."

Never knew this until this article, it was Jim McLean who valued the players.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/creative-accountancy-how-jim-mclean-and-others-were-unlikely-saviours-hibs-wallace-mercer-circled-2873914

10 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Honestly will be a bit surprised if we sign anyone. There's been an enormous financial hit taken which I don't think has been fully understood. The loss of income for 2019/20 and for an indeterminate period of 2020/21 isn't coming back, that's going to have to be factored in to any budget.

The only way I see us signing anyone is by punting a couple of the most valuable players and using that to make up the losses. You'd think Kamberi would be one of them, but I'm unconvinced the fee for him will come close to covering it all. Our most sellable player is probably Porteous. Would be gutted if he left, but there might be no option.

However, if we do that, I'd imagine that a lot of players will be available as free agents for not very high wages at all.

You may well be right. Got to hope big Ron is happy to splash the cash to an extent. Even in a worst case scenario I think not signing anyone is a bit of a stretch.

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

You may well be right. Got to hope big Ron is happy to splash the cash to an extent. Even in a worst case scenario I think not signing anyone is a bit of a stretch.

Surely it will all be relative to what others are spending. What I mean is I cant see other clubs spending much so we just have to get better quality in than them without spending fortunes. Or is that too simple ha?

Purely with the number of season tickets sold and the amount of money freed up with players finishing loans and players being released we’ll be a lot better of than most. 

It’s very important we have a good summer transfer window. We can’t be counting on January to save us again.