Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43574188

Where do you even start with this

Henry would have well being saying: "Bring back the Ayrshire District League!" He might get his wish.

I don't think it's lack of ambition - it's failure to grasp how much the landscape of semi-pro football is changing - rapidly - and a complete inability to accept that Albion Rovers play the same game as Bellshill Athletic and whether you play one or other over 90 minutes in a league game is neither here nor there.

He seems to feel Talbot are unworthy of playing at a higher level. There is plenty of room for a successful part-time club to play at a higher level against better sides. That doesn't necessarily mean playing in the SPFL - a West of Scotland League could be very competitive, as could the Lowland League - with an ongoing process of promotion and relegation rejigging things.

Edited by cmontheloknow

The SFA should start by removing all qualification for the Scottish Cup for sides not involved in the pyramid; Auchinleck clearly want to both have their cake and eat it.  There are plenty of decent clubs to take part in Scotland's only prestigious cup competition instead. 

If only they could be permanently cemented into the Junior ranks as well, even after they finally realise that the game's a bogey.  

I went to a licensed ground a few weeks ago. Claggan Park in Fort William. What a pleasant experience it was. Yes, there are Junior grounds that are unlicensed and provide a better view, but what middens some of them are too, and what crap they expect supporters to endure in terms of toilets, safety etc. Club licensing will drive up standards and I don't think that is a bad thing. Of course there's a cost but that's the price of a half century and more of neglect. 

1674ld3.jpg
Changing rooms, pie hut, plumbed toilets (M/F)

k3q2vp.jpg
Seated stands

Edited by cmontheloknow

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43574188

Where do you even start with this

Astounding arrogance and typical "I'm alright Jack" attitude that was shown when Talbot opposed league reconstruction last year.

Plus the article contains the usual selection of media misinformation, such as:

"To be eligible to play senior football, clubs must meet the SFA's "entry level" licensing criteria ... " etc

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

The SFA should start by removing all qualification for the Scottish Cup for sides not involved in the pyramid; Auchinleck clearly want to both have their cake and eat it.  There are plenty of decent clubs to take part in Scotland's only prestigious cup competition instead. 

If only they could be permanently cemented into the Junior ranks as well, even after they finally realise that the game's a bogey.  

Because one Pie and Bovril members posts reflect a club's opinion, clearly.

Edited by Sunrise

Just as I pulled up virginton - 

I partially retract my previous post VT, but still believe there are Bot fans who thoroughly disagree!

Edited by Sunrise

1 minute ago, Sunrise said:

Because one Pie and Bovril members posts reflect a club's opinion, clearly.

Where do Talbot say they agree with IG - who I add is a very good poster often, but very wrong here.

Henry's quotes aren't especially forward-thinking.

"We certainly didn't vote for it," Dumigan told BBC Scotland.

"We see ourselves as a junior football team, we've no ambition to play senior football. It's fine participating in the Scottish Cup, where we've done reasonably well and competed well with the senior clubs, but we see ourselves as a junior club and that's it.

"We feel there's a strong possibility that it will damage, not the reputation, but the identity [of the club]. We're very proud to be a junior club."

However there is the bit at the end which says...

"The likelihood is that junior football will move into the pyramid system, and we will move to achieve that entry level and possibly higher.

"Because if we're in there we want to do as well as we possibly can. Although we've no ambitions to do it, if we're going to be going in there we'll be doing as best as we can, and that means our facilities as well.

Just now, virginton said:

Your suitably mewling apology is accepted. 

I'd rather not be patronised by one of the one posters on Pie and Bovril thanks.

My avatar is John Bishop when he played for Southport. I moved to there from Glasgow when I was 10 and started watching them in the early 90s when he played for them. The only comedy then was onfield. Southport have yo-yoed up and down ever since, winning the Northern premier in '93, establishing themselves in the Conference, having a few good years at the top then ever since changing the manager at least once a year and going through cycles of promotion and relegation. They're too small to thrive in the full-time Conference but normally too big to not go back up - changed days though the money that's now in National North - Salford etc. I guess some fans there want to see them back in the Football League (won current L2 in 70s) but at what cost? But at least the avenue is there. Thaht's what a pyramid can bring, new money too. Annan's ground rebuild was (I believe) sponsor funded.

I have great admiration for Talbot and while Henry doesn't know me, I do remember speaking to him on times Lok were down there when I was on committee. They are the envy of most Junior clubs and could be so much more in the wider world of Scottish football. There is nothing to stop them becoming a Brechin, a Dumbarton etc - being a part-time team of full-timers and all the exposure (and revenue) that brings.

Edited by cmontheloknow

He isnt saying they wont go, he's basically saying they wont push for it,  a very honest statement from a total gentleman who has seen Talbot win  the Cup 10 times during his reign.