Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

The receipients of Iain Maxwell's email to the PWG following a Professional Game Board meeting were:

image.png.a5613aa6c9070ccc1f47b018bc36b198.png

Alan McRae -SFA/HFL

Alistair Wilkie - EoSFL

Andrew Waddell - SLFL

Colin Holden - SoSFL

George Fraser - SLFL

Iain McQueen - SJFA

Richard Osborne - SoSFL

Rod Houston - HFL

Rod Petrie - SFA/SPFL

and the generic scottishjuniorfa

9 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

As I am not involved anymore it’s hard to say but I’m if I am to make a guess, I have never seen or heard of any club looking at founding a new league so take that from what you will. A lot of it will depend on the timing of when the clubs are informed if there is no deal. If there is a deal then great and we move forward and I have no reason to doubt what Kilbowie Benches says and that it’s looking likely so that’s where I place my hope.

What’s being missed here is that every organisation has it own agenda and will leak information to suit that agenda. All the organisations are out there to do the bidding of the clubs and protect them. I think for some people on here to have a go at organisations (from both sides) is over the top. The clubs are the members and if the majority want something it’s their job to do that.

What will be will be with regards to the pyramid. Nobody on here can change that and nobody categorically knows the full situation unless there in the PWG meetings.

The WOSFL suggestion was from when it was looking unlikely anything was happening. The wrsjfa coming in doesnt seem to be a problem for anyone but it relies on whether the sjfa would allow one league in the pyramid and the rest not to be

Just had a look on the West Region fixtures page and that is like night and day from before.

Just out of interest what is it that's causing postponements on 16th March.  My guess would be the Scottish?

The WOSFL suggestion was from when it was looking unlikely anything was happening. The wrsjfa coming in doesnt seem to be a problem for anyone but it relies on whether the sjfa would allow one league in the pyramid and the rest not to be

I understand that and I had a chat with another club last season about it to see what was happening and was told that they would do nothing until they saw what the outcome of the SJFA discussions were. That is the time for discussions about a new wosfl is then.

In terms if the SJFA would allow one region in and not all 3 I would be surprised if they did. The clubs all voted to move together and as of yet that’s not changed(unless I have missed something) and I don’t know if a region can resign and become independent but again can’t see that happening either. For what it’s worth as I said before you might see some like minded clubs come together and look at the option of a new league if the talks don’t go well but it will all come down to finance and if it is worth the risk.

11 hours ago, bluebell1 said:

Nothing to do with my club getting put out of cup.  We should have checked in more detail but the process is not clear when your player who is suspended was listed under another club.

The ersjfa discipline covered by Syd Mcalpine was far more clearer so there’s one example any new structure could learn from. Here’s a few more:-

(2) In eosl cups the home club keeping all gate income for cup ties doesn’t work for us. Means away clubs pay for travel and receive no return and to make matters even worse are then asked to pay for an assistant ref before we go home.  A lot of away draws has real financial implication.

(5) Kick off times in eosl fixture list not apportionate to our weather and daylight hours.  Clubs having to constantly request changes of kick off times every week during winter months.

You saw the suspended player listed under a different club but didn't check with the SFA before playing him? I think if you saw the wrong club on the ERSJFA disciplinary page then you'd surely check as well. Or did you not see his name at all, because you only searched the PDF for your club but not the player's name or registration number?

Yes the ERSJFA disciplinary page is probably clearer, but they dealt with 59 clubs, whereas the SFA disciplinary list now has over 140 clubs + youth and more competitions to deal with.

2) I'm surprised this issue hasn't been brought up by previous EOS clubs, but seems like a sensible change to put forward at the AGM.

5) Can't really win either way - if all the kick-off times were set to 1.30, 1.45 in winter like the Juniors, then up to half the teams would have to ask to change their times back to 2.30 or 3 because they have floodlights!

11 hours ago, stanley said:

I think that's a decent idea.  I have no problem with east juniors being in for one season as long as it's made clear that a merger will take place at the end of the season and clubs in both associations know what they are playing for.

A new organisation for both to be combined in might end some of the senior v junior arguments but may prove difficult in practice.  Whatever happens, the future should be all clubs in the same system.  Too many people trying to protect their own jobs may make this difficult.  Still crazy that clubs from the same area are in separate systems.

The East Juniors being in at tier 6 for 19/20 ahead of a 20/21 merger seems a bit pointless - their champion is unlikely to have a licence (or be located in the LL area) so they wouldn't be in the LL play-off anyway. Basically nothing would be different next season except they would presumably be following the senior rules. In that case why wait a season for the merger? Let's just hope that more teams see the folly in having two east leagues and move over soon.

4 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
4 hours ago, Marten said:
The NCL is classed as a "senior" league, although it's not in the pyramid, but they are direct members of the SFA instead of being a part of the SJFA (or SAFA). As the NCL & NRJFA cover their own areas without much of an overlap, I think it would make sense to put them both underneath the HFL.

the minor overlap is Inverness as one NCL member is from Inverness & NRJFA has a team from Inverness in abeyance currently. Broadly speaking everything north & west of Inverness is NCL & south & east of Inverness is NRJFA

The other 'overlap' is North Junior Burghead Thistle, who as an Invernesshire club, could be in the NCL.

Inverness City started in the NCL, but transferred to the NRJFA, before going into abeyance when their ground lease expired. Is there any news about a possible return in 2019/20 ? 

3 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The other 'overlap' is North Junior Burghead Thistle, who as an Invernesshire club, could be in the NCL.

Inverness City started in the NCL, but transferred to the NRJFA, before going into abeyance when their ground lease expired. Is there any news about a possible return in 2019/20 ? 

Geography lesson required.

Burghead is in Moray, 8 miles northwest of Elgin, nowhere near Inverness-shire

Edited by archieb

3 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Why not ?

Surely you take what's on offer now (re West) and follow up the other regions at a later date, when things become clearer and/or have developed sufficiently towards agreement and implementation ? 

I dont know the geography up there that well but Burghead comes under as Moray in regards to historical counties/lieutenancy areas as far as I can tell & is less than 10 miles from Elgin.

Can't say I know if they are returning or not. The biggest issue is getting a ground in Inverness. The NCL club Inverness Athletic had these issues also having played in Farr & Muir Of Ord before securing a ground at the Inverness Royal Academy at start of this year

23 minutes ago, archieb said:

10 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I dont know the geography up there that well but Burghead comes under as Moray in regards to historical counties/lieutenancy areas as far as I can tell & is less than 10 miles from Elgin.

Is there an echo in here? :P

Why not ?
Surely you take what's on offer now (re West) and follow up the other regions at a later date, when things become clearer and/or have developed sufficiently towards agreement and implementation ? 
Having say the west in but not the east & north would be mean the sjfa having to admin two sets of rules for its members which would be a messy situation admin wise & one where mistakes would be waiting to happen.

54 minutes ago, archieb said:

Yes you are correct.  I've been to most Highland & NCL grounds, but confess that I have never been to Burghead. 

However (most) Moray clubs have historically been members of the North of Scotland FA, and in recent years,  Elgin and Lossiemouth Development teams have participated in some of the NCL competitions, as have Clach.  

There are no junior clubs north or west of Inverness, and when Alness Utd (NCL) applied to join the juniors about 10 years ago, they were rejected. Also, Inverness City's 'slogan' was that they were the first Inverness club to join the SJFA for 50 years or more.  The point here is that the north & west Highlands (and islands ?) cover a large and different region, and should feed into the pyramid alongside the North juniors.

38 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Yes you are correct.  I've been to most Highland & NCL grounds, but confess that I have never been to Burghead.

You really should, Forest Park is literally in a forest. It's a great location.

However (most) Moray clubs have historically been members of the North of Scotland FA

Modern Moray has different boundaries to the historic county, now it includes bits of Banffshire and Aberdeenshire. Basically, if the place has an IV postcode, it's old Moray (or Nairnshire...) If it's AB then it's Banffshire, whose clubs traditionally are members of the Aberdeenshire FA, e.g. Buckie Thistle and Keith.

12 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

You really should, Forest Park is literally in a forest. It's a great location.

Modern Moray has different boundaries to the historic county, now it includes bits of Banffshire and Aberdeenshire. Basically, if the place has an IV postcode, it's old Moray (or Nairnshire...) If it's AB then it's Banffshire, whose clubs traditionally are members of the Aberdeenshire FA, e.g. Buckie Thistle and Keith.

Appreciated thank you.  Forest Park looks very picturesque on the Non League Scotland website,. and worth a visit.  

As an aside, do you know if Inverness City's proposed  lease on the Kirkhill Community Centre ground, has fallen through ?  There are no updates on the club's website, which suggests it may have folded. Another junior club lost to the North Juniors ?

Edited by Robert James
additional question added

The last thing I heard about Kirkhill was that City were struggling to fund the enclosure of the ground. I have a feeling that time may be up for the male team, particularly now Inverness has a NCL team actually playing in the city. Perhaps if the proposed artificial pitch at Grant Street Park had gone ahead, things would be different.

On a side note, the City ladies' team seems to be thriving.

Edited by Cyclizine

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I don't know the NCL too well, what do they compare with in terms of footballing standard & ground facilities (for example) compared to the EOS?

Most of the grounds are more comparable to the less developed ones in the SoS - quite a few unenclosed public parks. Golspie, Orkney, Thurso and Halkirk are recognisably football grounds however.

Playing standard wise from what I've seen no worse than some of the lesser lights in the HFL.