Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Suppose that's most likely to happen when two clubs have a fairly symbiotic relationship with each other  - it happened the season before last when Linlthgow Rose and Bo'ness United were seemingly playing chicken with each other waiting for the other to blink first and go EoS.

But yeah, once one or two sides show their hand the domino effect will happen just like it did in the East - and it needn't necessarily be one of the big ones either - wasn't it little "mediocre" Dalkeith who set the ball rolling over there?

As important as Dalkeith were, I believe they were sandwiched in the middle of two decisions that brought greater attention on the matter of moving in to the pyramid. Kelty having left the summer before and Clydebank announcing to go senior. Kelty got people thinking about it and Clydebank got them talking about it.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

As important as Dalkeith were, I believe they were sandwiched in the middle of two decisions that brought greater attention on the matter of moving in to the pyramid. Kelty having left the summer before and Clydebank announcing to go senior. Kelty got people thinking about it and Clydebank got them talking about it.

Little is mentioned of the original 11 - Dalkeith Thistle, Blackburn United, Crossgates Primrose, Dunipace, Edinburgh Utd, Bonnyrigg Rose, Camelon Juniors. Hill O'Beath, Dundonald, Haddington and was it St Andrews?

24 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Little is mentioned of the original 11 - Dalkeith Thistle, Blackburn United, Crossgates Primrose, Dunipace, Edinburgh Utd, Bonnyrigg Rose, Camelon Juniors. Hill O'Beath, Dundonald, Haddington and was it St Andrews?

I believe the original 13 accepted were Blackburn United, Bonnyrigg Rose, Camelon Juniors, Crossgates Primrose, Dalkeith Thistle, Dunipace, Easthouses Lily, Edinburgh United, Haddington Athletic, Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts, Musselburgh Athletic and Tranent Juniors. With Dundonald Bluebell withdrawing/deferring their application when the "news" about SJFA being accepted at Tier 6.

And i'm not downplaying their decisions. It's just Dalkeith and Clydebank announced publicly in early January decisions related to the pyramid, Dalkeith applying for the EoS and Clydebank setting up a vote to go senior. While Dalkeith saw some discussion, it was Clydebanks vote on going senior, figuring out their options that led to a far greater public profile on the pros and cons of joining the pyramid.

The majority of clubs that would end up being accepted in the first 13 for 2018-19 made those decisions within their own circle and didn't announce anything until after March 31st.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

For me kelty were the club that took the gamble at the time and proved everyone wrong and have never looked back. When we met them in the Scottish you could see that they were planning to take the club to a different level and this is the format that we look at as we take the buffs the same route . 

Edited by wow-wee

8 hours ago, KRRAdamslie said:

In terms of that; you would imagine there would be very little movement in terms of junior sides being promoted as you would not have one junior side being promoted from all three premiership divisions; and they would then need to win a playoff final against the lowland side

It isn't necessary to have a play-off against a Lowland club.  If the West juniors join, and all 3 senior league (EoSL, SoSL, WoSL) champions are ;licensed (unlikely in the short term), then an EoSL "round robin" system could be used to decide which club will be promoted to the Lowland League in place of SLL club 16. 

Once the West league is established, the Lowland may agree to have 2 relegation &  promotion opportunities each season. Of course this assumes that another Highland club  (eg Fraserburgh or Brora, on present form) won't defeat the Lowland champions, and also depose club 42, in the SPFL's "trap door" play-off Final.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I believe the original 13 accepted were Blackburn United, Bonnyrigg Rose, Camelon Juniors, Crossgates Primrose, Dalkeith Thistle, Dunipace, Easthouses Lily, Edinburgh United, Haddington Athletic, Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts, Musselburgh Athletic and Tranent Juniors. With Dundonald Bluebell withdrawing/deferring their application when the "news" about SJFA being accepted at Tier 6.

And i'm not downplaying their decisions. It's just Dalkeith and Clydebank announced publicly in early January decisions related to the pyramid, Dalkeith applying for the EoS and Clydebank setting up a vote to go senior. While Dalkeith saw some discussion, it was Clydebanks vote on going senior, figuring out their options that led to a far greater public profile on the pros and cons of joining the pyramid.

The majority of clubs that would end up being accepted in the first 13 for 2018-19 made those decisions within their own circle and didn't announce anything until after March 31st.

And Craigroyston ?

Together with  Easthouses Lily, I thought them both returning from the juniors, to the seniors, also gave an important signal to other clubs.  

11 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With all due respect, I think that Clydebank making such an announcement had very, very little impact on the decision making processes of the great majority of clubs in the east who chose to make the move into Senior football. I'd be surprised if some of the committees concerned even knew about what Clydebank said they were or weren't going to do.

10 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

FFS this thread looked to be dead and then Brian kindles it up again.

Guess there needs to be a reason for having the alternative forum and the P&B board was going too smoothly for his liking. Think people should give the pyramid stuff a rest until there is another PWG meeting, because right now there is nothing new to talk about and all the known issues have already been done to death on here. The only thing I'd be mildly interested to find out at the moment is whether Petershill and Cumnock had their licensing applications accepted by the SFA Board and passed onto the licensing committee for processing as Dunipace did, but that's a topic for another thread.

Guess there needs to be a reason for having the alternative forum and the P&B board was going too smoothly for his liking. Think people should give the pyramid stuff a rest until there is another PWG meeting, because right now there is nothing new to talk about and all the known issues have already been done to death on here. The only thing I'd be mildly interested to find out at the moment is whether Petershill and Cumnock had their licensing applications accepted by the SFA Board and passed onto the licensing committee for processing as Dunipace did, but that's a topic for another thread.
People will discuss things when there's anything to discuss. I guess the Talbot AGM comments were the catalyst for the latest chat.

Let's not be kidded here. The reason that Dalkieth, Dunipace and the like, jumped in was because they thought that they could steal a march on the rest of the junior clubs.
They went in, thinking that it was to be 1 single feeder league to the Lowland League. But the EOSL didn't get the target clubs that they thought would be desperate to follow Kelty, so in their greed, they kept the applications open. Even after the numbers became unmanageable for one league then 2 leagues. No, they kept it open until they got their targets and closed the shop with 3 leagues of 13.
So, now those first set of clubs are as far away as they ever were from the LL. and just as unlikely as they ever were from reaching it.
All that they have achieved is that they have raised the hackles of the clubs above the LL, who are now closing ranks to protect themselves and their share of the pie.
But, ach well, at least they are able to claim that they are a 'Senior' club.

44 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

Let's not be kidded here. The reason that Dalkieth, Dunipace and the like, jumped in was because they thought that they could steal a march on the rest of the junior clubs.
They went in, thinking that it was to be 1 single feeder league to the Lowland League. But the EOSL didn't get the target clubs that they thought would be desperate to follow Kelty, so in their greed, they kept the applications open. Even after the numbers became unmanageable for one league then 2 leagues. No, they kept it open until they got their targets and closed the shop with 3 leagues of 13.
So, now those first set of clubs are as far away as they ever were from the LL. and just as unlikely as they ever were from reaching it.
All that they have achieved is that they have raised the hackles of the clubs above the LL, who are now closing ranks to protect themselves and their share of the pie.

Wrong again, don't have a meltdown  :lol:

Edited by Burnie_man

IMG_0354.jpg

I can wholeheartedly confirm that Dunipace did no such thing, I'd like to know what March we were going to steal.....the club reached their decision to move to the eosfl based on progressing the club, both on and off the park.

Just look where the club is now. New park, new sponsorship, new interest from the local community. Just progressed to getting licensed (hopefully soon), with potential access to the Senior Scottish Cup and access to players we would not have had if we had remained in the sjfa.

Instead of making ill informed and false statements about clubs intent, maybe spend some time asking why clubs like Dunipace moved over. Had the club remained junior we would have remained in the bottom West league, have 3 match balls, no attraction and no support with grants etc. We have moved and managed to progress within a season (on and off the park I may add) more than we would have in probably 5 seasons if we had remained part of the sjfa.

20 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

I can wholeheartedly confirm that Dunipace did no such thing, I'd like to know what March we were going to steal.....the club reached their decision to move to the eosfl based on progressing the club, both on and off the park.

Just look where the club is now. New park, new sponsorship, new interest from the local community. Just progressed to getting licensed (hopefully soon), with potential access to the Senior Scottish Cup and access to players we would not have had if we had remained in the sjfa.

Instead of making ill informed and false statements about clubs intent, maybe spend some time asking why clubs like Dunipace moved over. Had the club remained junior we would have remained in the bottom West league, have 3 match balls, no attraction and no support with grants etc. We have moved and managed to progress within a season (on and off the park I may add) more than we would have in probably 5 seasons if we had remained part of the sjfa.

Well said 

When you read some negatives from people both for and against Junior teams going senior on this post, especially when its made up or ill informed, I just shake my head.    Have so much more respect from people who come on here, put their point across, the genuine reasons for or against and knowing that they wish everyone else good luck in what level their team will be at.

Dunipace, I will expect, (from my view), will change the league they operate in once a West league starts, of which, once a West league starts they are allowed to do so. The only reason I can see them not doing so if they are already in a higher Tier once the WOS starts.  Any team that joins the senior ranks have nothing to lose as far as I see it, and if it doesn't work out, then go back down to the SJFA