Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I missed the end, what happened with someone in the crowd?

Certain people thought Halep's shot was out, and started shouting out, including some fucking whopper whose scream went on for a good few seconds, through the rest of the point. Totally distracted Halep and she hit it into the net.

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

Toff c***s. 

Wasn't just that slapper at the end. The Wimbledon crowd – once so decent – were cheering double-faults. Has anyone told them Konta's a migrant? Strewth.

Have to say she totally deserved the win (though her claim that the scream put her off more than Halep rings thin when you watch the replay).

10 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

Is there a technical reason a couple of courts dont have Hawkeye?  Or is it purely money?

Think there's only six courts with Hawkeye. Wimbledon won't do the rest because the cameras would interfere with sightlines across the grounds. I read too that they don't make wi-fi available on the main courts so that people don't get distracted during games. 

I'm always half dismayed by Wimbledon's snobbishness – yet so impressed by how they won't whore themselves to commercial pressures or cave into player demands.

Listened to a great podcast last night on bbc radio 5 about Konta's life growing up. I don't care about her background I'll be supporting her as a British citizen.

The same window lickers that celebrated Murray's first Wimbledon title 2 shots too early. Selfish c***s only caring about their fixation with all things British winning so they can attach themselves to it while sipping their shite overpriced drinks, having no respect for the athletes giving everything to win.

Spoilt toff c***s. I can see this not being my last rant about toff c***s this week.

I wouldn't say the crowd are any worse these days.  Some of the roars you'd get when Tim Henman's opponents double faulted were awful

As long as crowds don't shout during the point I don't mind them being loud and supporting their favourite. Happens in all other sports. Wimbledon crowds are regarded as one of the quietest and respectful crowds in Tennis. Davis Cup matches are like football matches sometimes.

17 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Well done to Konta. It's not often an immigrant gets on the front page of the Daily Mail with a positive headline.

From last year I know, but irony overload on this front page...

https://sports-images.vice.com/images/2016/07/01/what-makes-johanna-konta-an-acceptable-immigrant-body-image-1467370218.jpg

Impressive first set from Murray, there. His serving was rock solid and he's been fairly aggressive.

As McEnroe also pointed out, I like that he's not hitting his first serve as hard to improve the percentage in. Seems like such a simple adjustment as well, especially when you look at someone like Federer's serve.

Archived