Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

17 minutes ago, Lex said:

Retire now and he leaves on a high.

Keep plugging away on a likely unachievable goal and he fades out on a low.

Choices.

I think he should retire now and concentrate on his family.

What's un-achievable? He reached the SF at Roland Garros and was one set away from making a final on his least favourite surface just over a month ago.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Anyone British that hates Murray is generally a bitter Little Englander that can't stand the fact that some jock is right up at the very top of a hugely popular sport and is genuinely a once-in-a-generation talent.

In fairness, many English do support him, but there are a good percentage who don't for that sort of reason.

The real problem is that a lot of people are c***s who don't care that Murray's success has probably inspired thousands of kids to take up the sport, and encourage the likes of the LTA to increase funding in the sport. All they see is a Scottish guy who made a comment about supporting England's opponents at a World Cup when he was 19 years old, and that was them; mind made up, never to be changed.

Some strange c***s down here, but have pointed one or two people in the direction of an Interview with Tim Henman where he says Murray was done up like a kipper by a Sun journalist regarding the England comments.

Makes me laugh when the Ignorant b*****ds say, 'oh, I never knew that.' 

Lex only ever turns up when Murray loses. Absolute weirdo. warnock.png
If he can regain full fitness, he still has a lot left in him over the next few years.

This would be a good story, if it was true.

Posted numerous times over the years about Murray's achievements.

Can see when it's time to go though. Maybe Murray will play till he's 37 and going out third round every major.

Hope not though.

46 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

What's un-achievable? He reached the SF at Roland Garros and was one set away from making a final on his least favourite surface just over a month ago.

A tie break, even.

17 minutes ago, Lex said:

This would be a good story, if it was true.

Posted numerous times over the years about Murray's achievements.

Can see when it's time to go though. Maybe Murray will play till he's 37 and going out third round every major.

Hope not though.

In a patronising way every time he loses, you mean.

Federer is having his last great hurrah currently and unless fully fit and/or on clay, Nadal isn't going to be the player he once was, despite his run in Australia. Djokovic currently has the same question marks as Murray but has already achieved everything he could have hoped for.

Murray will be desperate to add more Slams over the next few years and will realise the above points. If he regains full fitness, there's nothing to stop him from doing that either. Will the likes of Zverev be able to achieve Big Four levels of consistency in that time? I'm not so sure.

In a patronising way every time he loses, you mean.
Federer is having his last great hurrah currently and unless fully fit and/or on clay, Nadal isn't going to be the player he once was, despite his run in Australia. Djokovic currently has the same question marks as Murray but has already achieved everything he could have hoped for.
Murray will be desperate to add more Slams over the next few years and will realise the above points. If he regains full fitness, there's nothing to stop him from doing that either. Will the likes of Zverev be able to achieve Big Four levels of consistency in that time? I'm not so sure.

Murray's got a kid and one on the way. He's made his money and he's made his history.

If he never picks up a racket again he will still go down as the greatest British sportsman ever.

Why go on? What more to achieve? He's done it all in the game since he reached number 1. Time for him to hang the racket up and spend time with the missus and the weans.

Surely no one could grudge him that.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Murray's got a kid and one on the way. He's made his money and he's made his history.

If he never picks up a racket again he will still go down as the greatest British sportsman ever.

Why go on? What more to achieve? He's done it all in the game since he reached number 1. Time for him to hang the racket up and spend time with the missus and the weans.

Probably time for you to hang up your fishing rod but in case you are serious here goes.

No one would grudge him that. There`s no evidence to suggest that is his aim.

If he does then no worries but I suspect he feels he could eek out another slam or two. 

Probably more likely he`ll give up if he slides down the rankings rather than when he`s still rated number one.

29 minutes ago, Lex said:

Usual shite talk from you. Murray will retire when he's no longer able to compete at the highest level.

48 minutes ago, Lex said:

Why go on? What more to achieve? 

He's won 3 Grand Slams. A player of his talent could have been in double figures in certain other eras.

He'll want to boost that number and will play for as long as he thinks he can do so. Which is likely a good 5 or so more years at least.

That's what I would do; play for another 3 or 4 years, hopefully winning at least one more GS, then go on the doubles tour for a bit.

It all depends how much Andy is still in love with tennis. The traveling and training is brutal especially with him having a young family. If his body holds together can see him playing another couple of years. He probably does feel he should have got a few more grand slams but was in the toughest era ever.

After losing in the final 5 times, it would be a real shame if he never won the Aussie Open.

This. If I was him I'd play us open and then rest for the last 4 months (injury sign off) then do his florida training, play 250 tournament say Sydney and go full tilt at Oz.
I'm not a multiple slam winner, double Olympic champ, world no. 1 and pride of Scotland tho.

6 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This. If I was him I'd play us open and then rest for the last 4 months (injury sign off) then do his florida training, play 250 tournament say Sydney and go full tilt at Oz.
I'm not a multiple slam winner, double Olympic champ, world no. 1 and pride of Scotland tho.

If he doesn't just take a lay off now, you've got to think that he probably will do something like that. Hopefully he does as I think it would do him a power of good.

If he doesn't just take a lay off now, you've got to think that he probably will do something like that. Hopefully he does as I think it would do him a power of good.

Perhaps he misses the US then. (Made qrts last yr- so not massive ranking points dropped).. takes good bit of time off, hopefully in top 8 when he hits Oz... completely refreshed?

He needs to play the US Open and do well, if he wants to remain top 10 in the event of an extended break after it. He has made 2290 points this year and with Doha to drop before the Australian Open that total would see him outside the top 16 for Australia.

I don't care when he rests as long as he turns up to the Hydro in November - will be my fist chance to see him live!

In playing news, Aidan McHugh is into a 3rd set in the boys' singles, having wone the 2nd set tie break 14-12! Sadly just on the tracker today rather than the red button, with all sorts of invitation doubles on those channels.

Archived