Mayweather vs. McGregor

BradHorse

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Agree. If it had been a 3 round bout only, he would have just outscored him from first bell.

Probably the worst thing McGregor did was landing that lovely uppercut, Floyd knew from then on in that he just had to give him enough encouragement to throw lots of punches as he didn't have the power required to take Floyd out, big muscles are a bit of a pain in the arse when they're used for the long haul.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not been on this thread since after the fight so I'm multiquoting a few posts here.

For the record I am a McGregor fan and hoped that he could do something on Saturday. Turns out that I was way way way wrong and the difference in class (that all boxing fans predicted) was just too great. The first time I saw Mayweather walking and laughing through Conor's punches I knew it was done and that was probably in the first two rounds. I think the difference in speed, connection and lack of wasted movement in the punch was evident when you saw what Mayweather was throwing. I also think McGregor underestimated Floyd when I expected it to be the other way around. McGregor looked a bit in shock with a few of the punches he was taking.

Cmon guys. Anyone who seriously didn't think this would be a scripted fight are off their heads.

McGregor would have been told not too get too cute and Mayweather will make it straight forward.

Have a tight ish Floyd result, with a few rounds to McGregor so neither lose face. Floyd walks off 50-0 with a wad of cash, Connor then moves in to fight someone else.... aka Paulie M...

Guaranteed.

^^^nonsense, not worth the risk.

That was simple stuff. McGregor done worse than I expected. Mayweather toyed with him, which I did expect, but there was absolutely nothing to McGregor's punches.

^^^agree with this

McGregor landed the 2nd most punches on Mayweather in his boxing career, which for someone with a 0-0 boxing record at least has to be respected.

111 punches landed compared to Pacquaiao's 81

^^^my 5 month old daughter lands 111 hits on me a day but if you hit me just once I bet it would be a lot more painful and as such I would try to avoid.

Lasted longer than Hatton. Threw more punches and landed more in less rounds than Pacquiao.

Fair fucks to McGregor.

^^^it lasted as long as Mayweather wanted it to.

I think you mean if it was a real fight mayweather would be sleeping within a minute after getting a shin to the cheek.

The way the best boxer makes a Mockery of mma is to not get hit, not to let him hit you over 100 times for a laugh.

^^^all this real fight chat annoys me. Mayweather wasn't bumping his gums about getting into the Octagon so why would that matter? It was boxing and he was outboxed.

I suggest he allowed himself to get hit so often because he wasn't concerned about the punches. If Conor rocked him badly with an early shot I reckon Floyd would've dodged a lot more.

Never seen Mayeather so relaxed about getting hit. Tells you how much respect he had for conors power. Even an Amir Khan would smash Mcgregor to bits. 

^^^I actually think Khan would batter McGregor too. Would never ever have said that before Saturday. Punching technique would be too strong for Conor.

Rough as shiittttttt today. Well deserved, though.
McGregor did alright? He was schooled, aye, but he was expected to be eh? I said he'd win a couple of the early rounds and was told to 'seek help, immediately' by a boxing w****r and he did take the first couple. 
He did about as expected really. Don't think he disgraced himself or anything.

Why did you bet £100 on him then? At pretty dreadful odds.

McGregor was winning the fight until he got tired out - fact. Mayweather didnae beat McGregor, tiredness did. Hope all those boxing fans who thought it'd be pish for Mayweather feel like stupid c***s today cos it was a close fight. The best ever in boxing against somebody making his boxing debut - McGregor's the clear moral winner. There's no even an equivalent for what he's just done. What a fucking legend.

I love the Catholic banter from Hibs fans.

Err no, the thick posts are from the wankers who thought Mayweather would KO McGregor out in 1 or 2 rounds. Even now you cannae admit that McGregor did way better than any of the boxing knobheads said he would. Anyone wi a brain knew it'd be a proper fight. McGregor was beating the greatest boxer of all time & he'd murder him in an octagon.

Oh hold on maybe it's real.

At last, someone on this thread talking some sense.
Was watching this with my mate Ken Buchanan and we both had McGregor 7-2 up on the scorecard before the premature stoppage. You're right about the moral victory and I wouldn't be surprised if this gets put down as at least a draw on his record.
Anyway, Conor's pure the best cos he's from Ireland :wub:

There's my Hibee's

He really fucking gasses eh? I don't understand why a guy of 29 years of age just collapses like that in terms of stamina.

Because he is not good enough.

24 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Not been on this thread since after the fight so I'm multiquoting a few posts here.

For the record I am a McGregor fan and hoped that he could do something on Saturday. Turns out that I was way way way wrong and the difference in class (that all boxing fans predicted) was just too great. The first time I saw Mayweather walking and laughing through Conor's punches I knew it was done and that was probably in the first two rounds. I think the difference in speed, connection and lack of wasted movement in the punch was evident when you saw what Mayweather was throwing. I also think McGregor underestimated Floyd when I expected it to be the other way around. McGregor looked a bit in shock with a few of the punches he was taking

It was like watching the primary 3 bully getting cracked by the wee nerdy primary 2, sometimes the primary 3 will get tore in but a lot of times they run away greetin', not suggesting he's a cry baby or anything like that but he did realise that his big punch is a bit powderpuff compared to the wee auld medium hitter, he might need to up his game in MMA now that people realise his power is exaggerated massively.

It was like watching the primary 3 bully getting cracked by the wee nerdy primary 2, sometimes the primary 3 will get tore in but a lot of times they run away greetin', not suggesting he's a cry baby or anything like that but he did realise that his big punch is a bit powderpuff compared to the wee auld medium hitter, he might need to up his game in MMA now that people realise his power is exaggerated massively.

Wait a minute we've had to listen to months of talk about this left hand being the most devasting punch in the world. Even dropping gloves size was to make it easier for him when that hand detonated on his chain.

Mcgregor made an amateur mistake of falling into Mayweathers trap, by gassing himself in the first three rounds. He really should have known better and might have completed the twelve rounds.

Then again, if he was going to win it had to be very early in the fight.

I thought Mcgregor was at least competing, until he emptied the gas tank completely in the ninth round.

8 minutes ago, JamieStevenson said:

I sympathize with Conor. Difficult to hit a guy with the smallest head ever and guarding himself with gloves way bigger than said tiny head :lol:

That's the easiest that wee tiny head has been to hit for a very long while, if Conor did have power he'd have been hitting fresh air an awful lot more.

Eerily reminiscent of that football thing sky did a few years back called the match. Bunch of retired footballers take on some celebs, who run about a lot initially don't have the nous to score n the old pros stroll up park n score when they felt like it. Sky makes lotsa cash n its not really a proper football event

33 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Wait a minute we've had to listen to months of talk about this left hand being the most devasting punch in the world. Even dropping gloves size was to make it easier for him when that hand detonated on his chain.

That was Floyd's rope a dope moment.

11 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

This was essentially my view of it also, he looked exactly what he was, a complete amateur. In many ways it was a blessing for him that he was fighting someone as good technically, and as famous as Mayweather. Had it been a guy a tier below looking to prove themselves and increase their profile (someone like Khan, Brook, Spence, Thurman, etc) who wouldn't have been content to just pick him off when he left huge gaps, but actually actively went hunting for him, throwing combinations and looking to get him out of there, he could have been in real trouble and been badly hurt. Luckily Mayweather treated it like a testimonial, and the exhibition it was, made his money with as little effort and fuss as possible and went home. Win-win for all concerned.

brook or spence might well have put mcgregor in hospital, he left himself open so many times that eventually one of their big hits would have clattered him, mayweather is never known for his big hits (is win to KO % shows this) so mcgregor got lucky to finish the fight on his feet imo

oh and i cannot believe i missed nicola's posts, absolutely classical nonsense :lol:

Just now, itzdrk said:

This was the first time ive watched boxing.  I don't think I'll bother again tbh if that's all thats going on.  

Biggest fight of the year in a couple of weeks so no thats not all that's going on :lol:

Just now, AUFC90 said:

Biggest fight of the year in a couple of weeks so no thats not all that's going on :lol:

I've possibly not made my point well.  On my first occasion watching it I thought that boxing was boring and generally shit.

4 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

But you picked an exhibition match to watch. 

Is there less hugging and referee stopping? 

It just seemed quite a restrictive form of fighting to watch.  You can see what the skill Is but it appeared to be about not being hit rather than hitting, is that less of the case in non exhibition matches? 

Archived