Mayweather vs. McGregor

BradHorse

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

All the stuff about McGregor's punch stats and winning a round are meaningless.  He looked awful - his stance looked amateurish, his hands were waving about, his chin was in the air.  He was fighting a guy who he was miles bigger than but he couldn't get anywhere close to hurting him or using his weight and size as an advantage. He was also fighting someone who is a boxer not a puncher and doesn't generally win by knockout.  If he'd been fighting someone who was a bigger puncher he'd have had his head taken off.

Good on him for giving it a go and not disgracing himself but it wasn't a good performance and if he fought any other decent boxer he'd lose.

This was essentially my view of it also, he looked exactly what he was, a complete amateur. In many ways it was a blessing for him that he was fighting someone as good technically, and as famous as Mayweather. Had it been a guy a tier below looking to prove themselves and increase their profile (someone like Khan, Brook, Spence, Thurman, etc) who wouldn't have been content to just pick him off when he left huge gaps, but actually actively went hunting for him, throwing combinations and looking to get him out of there, he could have been in real trouble and been badly hurt. Luckily Mayweather treated it like a testimonial, and the exhibition it was, made his money with as little effort and fuss as possible and went home. Win-win for all concerned.

2 hours ago, BradHorse said:

His stance didn't look amateurish at all. His footwork was actually very good in the fight.

I would have to disagree.  His stance was very awkward, and his footwork was so bad that any punches he did land, had no power in them as he couldn't drive with his legs.  Bearing in mind it was his first boxing fight he did okay.  On rewatching it I thought Mayweather was really bad, he certainly was slower and looked a bit lethargic.  But he did state that he wanted McGregor to tire himself out and he would then look to coast to victory doing what he always does - scoring rounds by countering and doing just enough.

Fair play to McGregor he managed to make more money from boxing in one night than most will ever make in their careers.  He could go on and fight Paulie and make another bundle, and wouldn't put himself at risk health wise as Paulie has no power.  I can't really think of a boxer that is reasonably well known that he would have a chance of victory against.

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

I would have to disagree.  His stance was very awkward, and his footwork was so bad that any punches he did land, had no power in them as he couldn't drive with his legs.  Bearing in mind it was his first boxing fight he did okay.  On rewatching it I thought Mayweather was really bad, he certainly was slower and looked a bit lethargic.  But he did state that he wanted McGregor to tire himself out and he would then look to coast to victory doing what he always does - scoring rounds by countering and doing just enough.

Fair play to McGregor he managed to make more money from boxing in one night than most will ever make in their careers.  He could go on and fight Paulie and make another bundle, and wouldn't put himself at risk health wise as Paulie has no power.  I can't really think of a boxer that is reasonably well known that he would have a chance of victory against.

Hmmm. I honestly thought his footwork was pretty good in the first 3/4 rounds in particular. He closed the distance well and switched stances quite regularly and with efficiency. 

I'm open to the fact that I'm wrong as I'm really just an MMA fan and not a boxing guy but I think McGregor moved pretty well the first few rounds.

Holly Holm (an extremely successful boxer who transitioned to MMA) seems to vehemently agree in her interview on The MMA Hour right now.

1 minute ago, BradHorse said:

Hmmm. I honestly thought his footwork was pretty good in the first 3/4 rounds in particular. He closed the distance well and switched stances quite regularly and with efficiency. 

I'm open to the fact that I'm wrong as I'm really just an MMA fan and not a boxing guy but I think McGregor moved pretty well the first few rounds.

Holly Holm (an extremely successful boxer who transitioned to MMA) seems to vehemently agree in her interview on The MMA Hour right now.

I think Mayweather made him look good at the start in all honesty.  For someone that had no real boxing experience he did fine.  To say his stance and footwork was very good is a bit of an exaggeration.  Perhaps better than what you would think his level would be at. I think Mayweather was happy to just do enough to get the win as he knew it would be easy enough. 

McGregor could have fought a more attacking boxer and all his flaws in his footwork and stance would have been exposed.  But he didn't and he equipped himself well enough against Mayweather mainly as Floyd was happy to make it last for a while.  As I said he has made more money from boxing than just about anyone else that has ever boxed.  No matter what he does next, he will be talked about.  Even now boxing fans and MMA fans are still talking about him and what it will mean for them in the future.

Might be wrong here as I have no boxing experience in my life but I wouldn't think switching stances is very helpful at all (in most cases). You could suggest it was to confuse his opponent but Floyd is far to wise and faced a wide variety of opponents to not get confused or surprised by it. Also McGregor switching over to Orthodox probably harms him than does any good. Not only does it take away the follow through of his left hand, it also makes it the lead hand. Which means he's likely having to block a lot of punches with it as well, thus perhaps weakening it. 

Please any of the actual boxers in here offer an opinion on stance switching. Effective or not?

1 minute ago, Loki said:

I think Mayweather made him look good at the start in all honesty.  For someone that had no real boxing experience he did fine.  To say his stance and footwork was very good is a bit of an exaggeration.  Perhaps better than what you would think his level would be at. I think Mayweather was happy to just do enough to get the win as he knew it would be easy enough. 

McGregor could have fought a more attacking boxer and all his flaws in his footwork and stance would have been exposed.  But he didn't and he equipped himself well enough against Mayweather mainly as Floyd was happy to make it last for a while.  As I said he has made more money from boxing than just about anyone else that has ever boxed.  No matter what he does next, he will be talked about.  Even now boxing fans and MMA fans are still talking about him and what it will mean for them in the future.

I'm not saying he moved about like Lomachenko or anything but I certainly don't think his footwork was particularly lacking. Especially not in the early rounds.

I don't know how much I buy the 'Mayweather made him look good' argument. Floyd played the first few rounds careful but that's also because Conor took it to him the first few rounds. 

He just got technically outboxed by a guy who is 50-0 in boxing. And fair play to Mayweather for being just as good as he should be. McGregor did land a few nice combinations though... it wasn't the walkover that a lot of boxing wankers predicted.

2 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

I'm not saying he moved about like Lomachenko or anything but I certainly don't think his footwork was particularly lacking. Especially not in the early rounds.

I don't know how much I buy the 'Mayweather made him look good' argument. Floyd played the first few rounds careful but that's also because Conor took it to him the first few rounds. 

He just got technically outboxed by a guy who is 50-0 in boxing. And fair play to Mayweather for being just as good as he should be. McGregor did land a few nice combinations though... it wasn't the walkover that a lot of boxing wankers predicted.

I am not sure what you consider a walkover.  But that was one of the easiest wins of Floyd's career. 

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

I am not sure what you consider a walkover.  But that was one of the easiest wins of Floyd's career. 

The hyperbole before the fight was that Conor wouldn't land a punch. 

He won at least 3 rounds. That's not an easy thing to do against Floyd Mayweather.

7 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

Nah, Floyd's been doing that for a lot of years now.

McGregors biggest flaw is what happens when he's hurt/fucked, he doesn't defend himself and he doesn't throw punches, that's just him reverting to instinct and his is not to fire forward throwing leather, I don't know how you could train to change that other than totally emptying yourself before you spar with comparable fighters.

3 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

He won at least 3 rounds. That's not an easy thing to do against Floyd Mayweather.

Aye, the 40 year old retired Floyd who was quite happy to drag it out and let him empty himself.

It really is in this type of fight.
Floyd had never seen mcgregor box, no footage etc. He spent the first couple of rounds sussing him out, that's all. He knew exactly what he was doing

Just now, BradHorse said:

He really fucking gasses eh? I don't understand why a guy of 29 years of age just collapses like that in terms of stamina.

Probably because he's too busy wanting to look like muscleman.

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Floyd had never seen mcgregor box, no footage etc. He spent the first couple of rounds sussing him out, that's all. He knew exactly what he was doing

Fair point I suppose, aye.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

He had him sussed before he got in there. He said he would tire early and basically waited for him to tire. If Mayweather wanted to avoid McGregor more in the early going, he could have easily done so. McGregor played into his hands.

There isn't much else he could have done though tbh.

He had him sussed before he got in there. He said he would tire early and basically waited for him to tire. If Mayweather wanted to avoid McGregor more in the early going, he could have easily done so. McGregor played into his hands.
There isn't much else he could have done though tbh.

Agree. If it had been a 3 round bout only, he would have just outscored him from first bell.

Archived