C**** on a Train

I was on a train back to Fife this morning and we stopped at Dalmeny, driver got out and spoke to the conductor who then issued a message to the train saying there was someone on the bridge and we wouldn’t be moving until it was resolved. I naturally followed the story on twitter to see if any other updates were being issued and there was some comments to the tune of, “tell him to get a move on”. I cannot fathom how anyone could be so fucking lacking in empathy for that person that they’d post something as stupid. Literally nothing anyone had planned on that train is more important than that person’s life. Later trains can be caught, flights rebooked, meetings rescheduled; but that person’s life can’t be given back if he decides to jump.

For what it’s worth, the person was taken off the bridge and to a place of safety where he hopefully is given all the support and assistance he needs.

I was on a train back to Fife this morning and we stopped at Dalmeny, driver got out and spoke to the conductor who then issued a message to the train saying there was someone on the bridge and we wouldn’t be moving until it was resolved. I naturally followed the story on twitter to see if any other updates were being issued and there was some comments to the tune of, “tell him to get a move on”. I cannot fathom how anyone could be so fucking lacking in empathy for that person that they’d post something as stupid. Literally nothing anyone had planned on that train is more important than that person’s life. Later trains can be caught, flights rebooked, meetings rescheduled; but that person’s life can’t be given back if he decides to jump.

For what it’s worth, the person was taken off the bridge and to a place of safety where he hopefully is given all the support and assistance he needs.

Hmmmm, I think I’m somewhere in between ‘get on with it’ and your stance. Disrupting all the trains on the East Coast is not on. This has happened a few times on the Road Bridge, and also on North Bridge above Waverley Station. It’s hugely disruptive and is because that person wants attention. Hopefully this isn’t a regular occurrence on the Rail Bridge.

Hmmmm, I think I’m somewhere in between ‘get on with it’ and your stance. Disrupting all the trains on the East Coast is not on. This has happened a few times on the Road Bridge, and also on North Bridge above Waverley Station. It’s hugely disruptive and is because that person wants attention. Hopefully this isn’t a regular occurrence on the Rail Bridge.

People don’t want to kill themselves for attention.

Hank's post reminded me of an episode last month on a packed train between York and Leeds. The train stopped and stayed stopped. After some time, an announcement: a young suicidal female on the track ahead. My first thought was: too much information there, then - I'm going to be late etc. As I was selfishly thinking this through, a teenage girl opposite started sobbing, very genuinely, and was comforted by strangers, quietly. It made this old cynic reflect a bit. 

1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

I really hate to appear heartless, but I’m surprised no one started c***s on a track thread.

It will just be full of people(mainly me) complaining about  Network Rail, contractors(mainly Babcock) and agency(not SWGR:whistle ) staff. 

In general drivers can come across as pretty heartless concerning these kinds of incidents but that's mostly as a kind of gallows humour way of coping with knowing that each day at work could be the day somebody chucks themselves under your train.

Commuters on the other hand are generally heartless, soulless savages who would happily get out and push said person off the bridge if it meant they could then get to work on time.

I was heading down to London on the train a few months back and it was announced my train was going to be 50 minutes late, I wasn't particularly fussed as the event I was going to was the next day anyway. It was then announced the reason for the delay was somebody had been hit by a train outside Wigan, My initial thought was fucks sake (as in being hit by a train is not good rather than I am going to be late).

A day or two later the incident made the papers and seeing pictures of the young lad brought home how horrible it must have been for his family and friends.

On the other hand my train eventually arrived 65 minutes late so I got a full refund so swings and roundabouts

In general drivers can come across as pretty heartless concerning these kinds of incidents but that's mostly as a kind of gallows humour way of coping with knowing that each day at work could be the day somebody chucks themselves under your train.

Commuters on the other hand are generally heartless, soulless savages who would happily get out and push said person off the bridge if it meant they could then get to work on time.

Outrageous comments, James! Few commuters care about being delayed getting to work. They care about getting home after work.

Do more people jump in front of a train at the end of the day or the start of the day?

3 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

I really hate to appear heartless, but I’m surprised no one started c***s on a track thread.

Scary Bear would be the obvious candidate. I thought he'd bottomed out when he posted that it was acceptable to blacken up at Halloween.

I was wrong...

14 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Do more people jump in front of a train at the end of the day or the start of the day?

It would be helpful if they could WhatsApp and all pick the same train, there would be less inconvenience overall.

Scary Bear would be the obvious candidate. I thought he'd bottomed out when he posted that it was acceptable to blacken up at Halloween.
I was wrong...

You must be one of the most easily offended people on here.

• 2 weeks later...

This must have been about a year ago. Sitting across from this fairly posh, middle-aged woman at a table on the train who was talking to some support person on the phone about being locked out of their account.

There’s a brief period of silence, she looks around the carriage, and then:

“Margaret Thatcher. So, obviously she wasn’t *actually* my childhood hero, but...”

I figured the P&B masses would judge this, very obviously, security question answer as fairly cuntish behaviour.