The Celtic All Seasons thread

Lawell chat on this is hilarious.

"He knows the club, the fans and the city......and he has an eye for a player"

That was, word for word, Scott Browns interview printed in The Times this morning!

Edited by Green Day

12 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Lawell chat on this is hilarious.

He knows the club, the fans and the city......and he has an eye for a player.

That was, word for word, Scott Browns interview printed in The Times this morning!

Hilarious, all utterly irrelevant stuff, he 'knows the club' is the most redundant phrase in football, second only to 'he's a winner'. Ironically, Lawwell praised everything about Lennon other than his managerial skills.

The fact they might pick a manager because he 'has an eye for a player' is laughable too, as if it's the 1970s. A football club operating at the Celtic level wish to be at should have a slightly more sophisticated transfer policy than that.

In a nutshell it shows exactly why Lawwell wants him. Someone who he thinks/knows the fans will be happy with, someone who wont put pressure on the board for funds, and someone who will be happy to pick up bargain buys and try and sell them on for a profit. A 'big name' would have demanded proper funds and walked if not given them, Lawwell isn't going to take that chance.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Lawwell is forgetting the last time Lennon was the manager, he didn't have a functioning Rangers to challenge him.  Was it admin Rangers then no Rangers he had ti deal with?  Or was his first season in charge the year before their troubles started?

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Lawwell is forgetting the last time Lennon was the manager, he didn't have a functioning Rangers to challenge him.  Was it admin Rangers then no Rangers he had ti deal with?  Or was his first season in charge the year before their troubles started?

I'm sure his first season was the one before admin - he had that scrap with McCoist at the "Shame Game" when Uncle Walter was still the Rangers manager.

Lack of real ambition from Celtic. Suits the board fine he wont bang the drum for huge signings. That said Lennon has a better record in the league than Rodgers and a great record in Europe. He also brought through some great players.

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

When Lawell says that Lennon's eye for a player is first class, I presume he really just means he's happy to accept the paltry budget Celtic will give him.

Perhaps it means that Lee Congerton, who followed Rodgers to Leicester, will not be replaced.  

Congerton's mistakes could be costly to offload in the summer. 

Out go Lustig, Boyata, Benkovic and Weah. In come Perez, Gutman and Shved.

Lack of real ambition from Celtic. Suits the board fine he wont bang the drum for huge signings. That said Lennon has a better record in the league than Rodgers and a great record in Europe. He also brought through some great players.

He only really had one good season in Europe beating Barcelona and making the last 16 of the CL.

His first two seasons in Europe were terrible. First season he got knocked out the CL qualifiers by Braga and the EL qualifiers by Utrecht. This was at the round of entry in both competitions. Second season lost over two legs in EL qualifer to Sion and was lucky that they fucked up. In the Group he managed 1 win in 6.

His final season he managed 1 win in 6 in the CL group stage.

He did pick up a few very good players in his time to his credit but overall he was very average. I don't think there will be any problems winning the league but can't see any success in the cups or in Europe.

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm a bit confused - everything they have put out says he has been offered the job, and that details will be worked out over the next few days.

So he hasn't actually accepted it yet, or at least it hasn't been fully confirmed?

He was verbally offered the job in the shower after the match, assume they'll now write up the contract.

His "eye for a player" is debatable, unless you genuinely believe he played a major role in them signing Van Djik/Wanyama, his transfer record at Hibs gives a wee hint or two.

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm a bit confused - everything they have put out says he has been offered the job, and that details will be worked out over the next few days.

So he hasn't actually accepted it yet, or at least it hasn't been fully confirmed?

Yeah. Legal team probably doesn't work the weekends. 

There's more chance of you knocking back a (purely hypothetical ;) ) offer of being promoted today than Lennon not accepting the job offer on the table. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Yeah I get that, it just seems a bit odd. Or at least the wording does. Lawwell isn't usually the type of guy to do things on a whim in the midst of a celebration.

I agree it's unlikely Lennon will knock it back, although you could argue that would be in his best interest. Finished off the league for them, finally broke his cup hoodoo, after stepping in in their hour of need. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah I get that, it just seems a bit odd. Or at least the wording does. Lawwell isn't usually the type of guy to do things on a whim in the midst of a celebration.

I agree it's unlikely Lennon will knock it back, although you could argue that would be in his best interest. Finished off the league for them, finally broke his cup hoodoo, after stepping in in their hour of need. 

He told the media after he'd accepted the offer.