The Celtic All Seasons thread

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Off topic, and people might already know about this, but I just stumbled across this article on the BBC.

It concerns ex Celtic player and manager Lou Macari, and suffice to say he has proved his quality here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1yNNxC7w0C1Dgc3vjZNtY9Y/the-former-footballer-who-set-up-a-homeless-shelter-i-thought-surely-we-can-do-better-than-this

What a good c**t.

14 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

When many of your own supporters arent able to see their family and friends for months on end. Or have lost their jobs. Or are unable to go about any semblance of a normal life. Or have died ffs. All while a staggeringly rich club run by a billionaire asks said supporters to buy season tickets they will never get to use.

The last year has been anything but normal for everyone. Football, and footballers, are in an incredibly privileged position. Knowing that, and yet Celtic still to decided to travel half way around the world claiming business as usual. It is still mind boggling that they went. Everyone and their granny knew it was a bad idea, seemingly with the exception of you, Lennon and the Celtic board.

The catch 22 is in the privileged position.
Having referees is a necessary evil.

I think we can safely assume that Willy knows full well he lost whatever bollocks argument he was incoherently trying to put across a few days ago and is now waffling unintelligible nonsense in absolute desperation. Another couple of days and he'll claim he was fishing. Clearly a total fucking brain donor 😂

3 hours ago, G51 said:

It's going to be really difficult for Celtic to turn all that over and get all of those hires and signings right. Like you say, the European qualifiers add a layer of complexity (though I think the CL was probably a long shot anyway, looking at the teams in the non-champions path).

Rangers changed a CEO, manager, 10+  players and a DOF, but it took us about 18 months to do all of that and we still didn't get it all right first time. Celtic will have more money to throw at it, but it still feels very ambitious.

ambitious but necessary. 

Its also safe to assume that transition period is already starting to happen and McKay will be involved in the decision making process regarding both DoF and manager who i'm hoping will both be in place prior to McKay officially taking the reigns. 

the impact on next season i guess we will need to wait and see however personally i am just happy to see changes being made and willing to afford some time, not too much though 😉, for us to get these decisions right

Edited by Jinky67

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

the impact on next season i guess we will need to wait and see however personally i am just happy to see changes being made and willing to afford some time, not too much though 😉, for us to get these decisions right

Would you take not winning the league next year if you can see you are moving in the right direction perhaps more progress in Europe? 

35 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Would you take not winning the league next year if you can see you are moving in the right direction perhaps more progress in Europe? 

Yes i think i would. 

This season is a very bitter pill to swallow because this squad is more than capable of winning this league however we now have to accept a major overhaul of the football department is required and that is going to take time.

If we get the key decisions right regarding the new DoF (if there is to be one) and manager then they have to be afforded that time. I would still expect us to mount a challenge and be much closer than we were this season and if we so happen to win the league then that probably would exceed my own expectations.

Those appointments are key though, we need to make a real statement of intent in the way we did when we brought in Brendan Rodgers. We need a manager of top quality and we need to pay for it.

I've said many times Europe should be the ambition, if we are aiming to get back to being competitive in Europe then the league should sort itself out. This settling for being the best in the Old Firm pissing contest has held us back, Rangers in a way have done that. They put real focus into progress in Europe over the past couple of years and this season are benefitting from it domestically

Edited by Jinky67

39 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Yes i think i would. 

This season is a very bitter pill to swallow because this squad is more than capable of winning this league however we now have to accept a major overhaul of the football department is required and that is going to take time.

If we get the key decisions right regarding the new DoF (if there is to be one) and manager then they have to be afforded that time. I would still expect us to mount a challenge and be much closer than we were this season and if we so happen to win the league then that probably would exceed my own expectations.

Those appointments are key though, we need to make a real statement of intent in the way we did when we brought in Brendan Rodgers. We need a manager of top quality and we need to pay for it.

I've said many times Europe should be the ambition, if we are aiming to get back to being competitive in Europe then the league should sort itself out. This settling for being the best in the Old Firm pissing contest has held us back, Rangers in a way have done that. They put real focus into progress in Europe over the past couple of years and this season are benefitting from it domestically

Agree with this. Europe and more specifically the champions league affords you the chance to get/attract players and keep them there a bit longer  which in turn puts you ahead of the rest in Scotland. I cant really see Sevco getting too much of an advantage though as they have used multiple softloans/Share issues to get to where they are. The champions league might finally make them self sufficient though.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Agree with this. Europe and more specifically the champions league affords you the chance to get/attract players and keep them there a bit longer  which in turn puts you ahead of the rest in Scotland. I cant really see Sevco getting too much of an advantage though as they have used multiple softloans/Share issues to get to where they are. The champions league might finally make them self sufficient though.

Rangers trading model is the exact same as Celtic's, except it has one extra string to it's bow in soft loans which allowed Rangers to quickly bridge the gap.

Neither club can make a profit without either reaching the CL group stages or selling a player for big money. Next season will be the last season where Rangers utilise soft loans.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Rangers trading model is the exact same as Celtic's, except it has one extra string to it's bow in soft loans which allowed Rangers to quickly bridge the gap.

Neither club can make a profit without either reaching the CL group stages or selling a player for big money. Next season will be the last season where Rangers utilise soft loans.

You can't possibly believe that?

21 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

This is not even a dig at Rangers.

You've missed out on a massive source of funding this year. during a pandemic and are already operating at an unsustainable level.

Still got insurance monies due and increased sponsorships and partnerships as operating costs plummeted. We’ll see.

It’s nice that the two games this week means a normally unheard of level of agreement between Old Firm fans. Encouraging to see the other side aiming for 55.

6 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Still got insurance monies due and increased sponsorships and partnerships as operating costs plummeted. We’ll see.

It’s nice that the two games this week means a normally unheard of level of agreement between Old Firm fans. Encouraging to see the other side aiming for 55.

Your squad is also going to need improving in the summer.