The Celtic All Seasons thread

After 24 games:

Celtic 20/21: 14 wins under the management of Neil Lennon

Rangers 17/18: 14 wins under the combined management of Pedro Caixinha and Graeme Murty.

Celtic are exactly where Rangers were in January 2018 - only able to sign players who want to play for the club because they're supporters, completely directionless and rudderless and with major uncertainty over key positions and a huge rebuild coming up where most of the squad will need replaced.

Food for thought.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

After 24 games:

Rangers 17/18: 14 wins under the combined management of Pedro Caixinha and Graeme Murty.

Celtic are exactly where Rangers were in January 2018 - only able to sign players who want to play for the club because they're supporters, completely directionless and rudderless and with major uncertainty over key positions and a huge rebuild coming up where most of the squad will need replaced.

Food for thought.

I couldn't believe Lennon wasn't binned in November.

With the poor run we've had they should have been out of sight.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

After 24 games:

Food for thought.

Having better players is an advantage when the re-build starts.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I couldn't believe Lennon wasn't binned in November.

With the poor run we've had they should have been out of sight.

I kinda knew the league was over when they didn't bin him after losing 4-1 to Sparta Prague's reserves. That was the point where they needed to do something, and they simply didn't.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Having better players is an advantage when the re-build starts.

Only because you'll be able to cash in on them. You still have to make the right decisions once those players are sold. It's an awful lot of decisions to get right first-time willy.

They've left themselves with Christie, Ajer and Edouard now only on one year deals come the summer. 

Ajer and Edouard will certainly refuse to sign so thats them away along with Lennon and Brown.

Ntcham is also now on a one year deal. 

They've hugely mismanaged those players leaving. Similar to Rangers and Morelos but care factor for Rangers now that theyve got the title in the bag.

Edited by d31

1 minute ago, G51 said:

I kinda knew the league was over when they didn't bin him after losing 4-1 to Sparta Prague's reserves. That was the point where they needed to do something, and they simply didn't.

Only because you'll be able to cash in on them. You still have to make the right decisions once those players are sold. It's an awful lot of decisions to get right first-time willy.

If a new manager does come in he will get 3 or 4 transfer windows we are starting from a position of strength.
Getting rid of the bad apples won't be a problem.

10 minutes ago, G51 said:

Yeah you are spot on. Especially when he said the stuff about not analysis games for a long time.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

They'll take in about £12m for Edouard and Ajer combined. I'm not really sure who would come in for Christie at a half decent level. Maybe he'd want to try a foreign league for the experience. 

The Athletic seem to think he'd be a good, budget fit for Arsenal.

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

Willian, Partey, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe and... Charlie Christie's son. 

Have you seen Willian in an Arsenal jersey?

Arsenal aren't exactly flush with cash and could be seen as a cheap back up option.

I'm not saying I agree with it but his numbers have to justify it before the Athletic are running with that.

20 minutes ago, d31 said:

They've left themselves with Christie, Ajer and Edouard now only on one year deals come the summer. 

Ajer and Edouard will certainly refuse to sign so thats them away along with Lennon and Brown.

They've hugely mismanaged those players leaving. Similar to Rangers and Morelos but care factor for Rangers now that theyve got the title in the bag.

Morelos has a contract until Summer 2023 so I don't think it is comparable in this situation. We still have arguably 2 transfer windows where we could sell him without his contract impacting his value.

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not saying I agree with it but his numbers have to justify it before the Athletic are running with that.

I must have missed this memo, what makes "The Athletic" a holy grail of footballing knowledge? 

19 minutes ago, d31 said:

Sevco also seem to be building for the future with (all)  these signings

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

I must have missed this memo, what makes "The Athletic" a holy grail of footballing knowledge? 

I didn't say they were?

What they do is look at the stats, see where a team is lacking and then look for players who can improve this based o their stats. A more moneyball approach (that isn't for everyone) than your traditional "sign him because he scores lots of goals".

Again I am not saying I could see it happening. I just found it interesting.